Barcode Scanner for Inventory Management

I work as a computer programmer, besides being a Paramedic. One of the tasks given to me by one of the departments that use my software is to add inventory management to it. Anyone have any recommendations for this? I know Linus Media Group uses a barcode scanner for their inventory management. I've seen Linus use it in one of the videos, with him saying "I hate inventory management."

Are there any programmable barcode scanners out there? Is there something that can execute python or c or pawn on each scan? Anything out there that has IP connectivity? Something along the lines of API that we can use would be awesome.

-- Mark Tomlin

I've used a wireless barcode scanner for taking inventory before. All it did was entered the scanned code in as a string of text into the connected computer.

There might be some out there that have an API that you could tie into, though I'm not aware of any.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

The way barcode scanner works is that it reads number and letter code which each barcode corresponds to. Your software will be the one doing actual work. What happens when code is scanned and so on. I've used barcode scanners for entering voters to general election database. When code is read, site loads corresponding info from system which is then verified by eye.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

That I know, that's why I'm asking does anyone know where I can find a barcode scanner that I can program. I'm wondering if this is going to come down to make making a barcode scanner with a RaspberryPi Zero W and a 3D printer.

-- Mark Tomlin