Nvidia Shield as a Gaming Tablet

antb0t

So I was thinking about picking up a Shield for 250 bucks on newegg this holiday.  My current PC is an Asus G75VW (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230592) so streaming games to it is out.  But I was thinking about picking it up instead of a tablet as like, a little gaming tablet.  I would put the gameboy emulators on it and such and just use it as a fun toy essentially with medium usage.  Down the line when I have my own place and a desktop PC again I could then just build myself another gaming rig and stream games to it as well :P  

My question to you good people, is what is your opinions on using it primarily with the intent of being a "gaming tablet"?

Also, long time Linus viewer, first time poster :)

For one thing, it's not a tablet.  It's a controller with an itty bitty screen on it and a Tegra 4 stuck in it somewhere.  The key feature of the Nvidia Shield is to stream PC games to it from anywhere in the house.  Sure it will be just fine for your intent, but it's not it's full potential.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

Its descent but doesn't excelled like wise as a tablet. I can see its nvidia's integrated gpu performance & architecture becoming more and more used in android tablets but nvidia shield has a no go to become a tablet for me. Streaming for portable device will be great for those who've got reliable and fast connections.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

If you would like to have a powerfull tablet, I would say buy the EVGA Tegra Note 7. It also has a 720p screen and a tegra 4... Than I started thinking, that it would be cool to have a little tablet...and than I was like oohhh what, I have one of those it's my phone :lol: ...... But I mean if you wanna buy the shield for that than go for it dude  ;)

Well I say tablet because its Android, not because I'm expecting it to be a tablet for me.  I was going to buy a galaxy tablet or something this holiday for myself to like watch netflix and youtube and enjoy some of the android games and emulators they offer on the store, but then I remembered that the shield runs android OS.  My thought process here is that instead of spending 300 on a nice 7 inch tablet, I could spend 300 on a nice 7 inch screen with a controller built in to it to further enjoy those games and things on the go, not to mention just easier to hold than a tablet while watching stuff on it.  I really just wanted opinions and maybe input from someone that possibly has one?  :D