Mining build

kaiju_wars

Now, before y'all lynch me for doing a mining build, this will be out of 100% spare parts.

I'm thinking of doing a mining build while in college, as we don't get charged for electricity.  This way, I can let the PC run all day without worry to my personal bill.

It won't be nothing extravagant.  An old Core 2 Duo and either GTX 460 SE or HD 6770.

I figured, since I wouldn't have to pay for anything for it, I'll technically make 100% profit no matter how much or little I make.

I'm just wondering, is it worth it and such, and what all should I do with this build to get it ready?

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

17 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

An old Core 2 Duo and either GTX 460 SE or HD 6770.

Not sure if you can get anything out of old cards with only 1gb of vram.  You could try it and see.  You would probably be better off letting your desktop you have in your signature mine while you are not using it.

22 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

Not sure if you can get anything out of old cards with only 1gb of vram.  You could try it and see.  You would probably be better off letting your desktop you have in your signature mine while you are not using it.

You're right, you need at least 4GB of VRAM to mine Eth and some other coins.

Not sure about all coins but some of the big name coins need a good chunk of VRAM.

Mining with nicehash would be your best bet, it will benchmark a bunch of coins and mine what's most profitable.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

27 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

Thing is I leave my main rig at home.  I have a gaming laptop that I use at school.

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You're right, you need at least 4GB of VRAM to mine Eth and some other coins.

Not sure about all coins but some of the big name coins need a good chunk of VRAM.

Mining with nicehash would be your best bet, it will benchmark a bunch of coins and mine what's most profitable.

Hmm... Nicehash?  Is this some program?

Like I said... since I ain't paying for parts or electricity, I make 100% profit anyways.

19 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Hmm... Nicehash?  Is this some program?

Like I said... since I ain't paying for parts or electricity, I make 100% profit anyways

Nicehash is a mining setup that allows you to mine as part of a pool.  It will automatically select the most profitable coin to mine for your setup at that current time and automatically change it for you when another coin becomes more profitable.   It also converts everything over to bitcoin to pay you that way you don't have 5 different coins you get paid in.

1 minute ago, Beowulff83 said:

Nicehash is a mining setup that allows you to mine as part of a pool.  It will automatically select the most profitable coin to mine for your setup at that current time and automatically change it for you when another coin becomes more profitable.   It also converts everything over to bitcoin to pay you that way you don't have 5 different coins you get paid in.

And how would I convert bitcoin to say... US currency, is it tradeable through PayPal or something?

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

And how would I convert bitcoin to say... US currency, is it tradeable through PayPal or something?

you have to get a bitcoin wallet or wallet for a specific coin you are mining.  from there you have to set up a transfer to your normal bank account.  once this is setup yes you can convert bitcoin to dollar via transfer to your bank account.  I use coinbase.com but check around there may be better options.

2 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

you have to get a bitcoin wallet or wallet for a specific coin you are mining.  from there you have to set up a transfer to your normal bank account.  once this is setup yes you can convert bitcoin to dollar via transfer to your bank account.  I use coinbase.com but check around there may be better options.

Alright, thanks.  Care if I PM you later if any issues arise (I won't be setting this up for at least another two weeks)

5 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Alright, thanks.  Care if I PM you later if any issues arise (I won't be setting this up for at least another two weeks)

Sure, cant guarantee an immediate response because of my work schedule.

Just now, Beowulff83 said:

Sure, cant guarantee an immediate response because of my work schedule.

Makes sense, I understand.