Should I get AMD Vega or Stick to GTX 1060/1070

I am very new to PC Gaming and since I am new to building PC'S and that AMD'S New GPU is almost out this month around my birthday, Should I get AMD Vega 64 or stick to GTX 1060/1070 

I am pretty unbiased to both AMD and Nividia and really just as long as the GPU performs good i dont care if its from a certain brand but i do hear alot of people hate on AMD GPU's and AMD in general for some reason

Help and answers are appreciated thank you so much 

If anyone is interested in my build lemme know on what I should change or switch https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bDBYD8

Edited by UltimaHeart

If you're buying now, I'd get a 1060 6GB or 1070, depending on budget. If you're happy to wait a bit, I'd go for a Vega. Drivers might be hell at the beginning, so I'd sit the start of Vega's launch out.

Also, nice build. That 750W PSU will be necessary if you do end up getting Vega lol

Just now, LeinadTM said:

If you're buying now, I'd get a 1060 6GB or 1070, depending on budget. If you're happy to wait a bit, I'd go for a Vega. Drivers might be hell at the beginning, so I'd sit the start of Vega's launch out.

Do problems like drivers and what not usually happen whenever a new GPU comes out?

Just now, LeinadTM said:

Also, nice build. That 750W PSU will be necessary if you do end up getting Vega lol

if i dont get vega, how much watts should I get 

1 minute ago, UltimaHeart said:

if i dont get vega, how much watts should I get 

650W would give you headroom for upgrades if you went with NVidia cards.

Do problems like drivers and what not usually happen whenever a new GPU comes out?

I've actually never witnessed a GPU launch before, so I don't know from personal experience, but from what I've heard, the first month or so is generally not the most fun time.

1 minute ago, LeinadTM said:

I've actually never witnessed a GPU launch before, so I don't know from personal experience, but from what I've heard, the first month or so is generally not the most fun time.

makes alot of sense 

can the 1060 6GB get me 1080P 144HZ gameplay? I know the 1070 is a beast for that from what I heard but can 1060 can as well? or is it better for 60hz 

Just now, UltimaHeart said:

makes alot of sense 

can the 1060 6GB get me 1080P 144HZ gameplay? I know the 1070 is a beast for that from what I heard but can 1060 can as well? or is it better for 60hz 

The 1060 will crush 1080p. You should be able to get 144 FPS easily in most games on medium to high settings. A 1070 would be able to do it at max settings with no problems.

2 minutes ago, LeinadTM said:

The 1060 will crush 1080p. You should be able to get 144 FPS easily in most games on medium to high settings. A 1070 would be able to do it at max settings with no problems.

Got it! I have 3 more questions to ask 

1. When is the best time to upgrade your GPU?

2. I know 16 GB is better but would 8 GB be enough for gaming?

3. Is upgrading or taking out RAM the easiest part of a build? heard alot of people say that it is

5 minutes ago, UltimaHeart said:

Got it! I have 3 more questions to ask 

1. When is the best time to upgrade your GPU?

2. I know 16 GB is better but would 8 GB be enough for gaming?

3. Is upgrading or taking out RAM the easiest part of a build? heard alot of people say that it is

1. Upgrade when you actually need it. If you have a 1050 Ti, and all the games you actually play are running fine, don't go get a 1080.

2. 8GB will be fine for just about everything. However, some games, for example Just Cause 3, require more than 8GB, so for a high end system I'd get 16GB.

3. If you're a regular person, yes. If you're weak like me, no. Pushing in the DIMMS can be hard. In my opinion, installing storage drives or the GPU (provided it isn't water cooled) is the easiest part, by far.

16 minutes ago, LeinadTM said:

1. Upgrade when you actually need it. If you have a 1050 Ti, and all the games you actually play are running fine, don't go get a 1080.

2. 8GB will be fine for just about everything. However, some games, for example Just Cause 3, require more than 8GB, so for a high end system I'd get 16GB.

3. If you're a regular person, yes. If you're weak like me, no. Pushing in the DIMMS can be hard. In my opinion, installing storage drives or the GPU (provided it isn't water cooled) is the easiest part, by far.

Got it!

Can you tell me the advantages and disadvantages (Pros and Cons in simple terms) of Going with an AMD GPU or Nividia GPU? In your opinion 

Got it!

Can you tell me the advantages and disadvantages (Pros and Cons in simple terms) of Going with an AMD GPU or Nividia GPU? In your opinion 

Currently, they're pretty much equal. I don't think there's actually any pros or cons to either, aside from exclusive software like ShadowPlay for NVidia cards. Also, this isn't really an advantage or disadvantage, but there's a difference between the two brands when using MSI Afterburner to overclock. For NVidia cards, the core clock and memory clock slider show the offset in MHz from the base clock speeds. For AMD cards, it shows the actual speed they're running at. That's just about it, though.

Currently, they're pretty much equal. I don't think there's actually any pros or cons to either, aside from exclusive software like ShadowPlay for NVidia cards. Also, this isn't really an advantage or disadvantage, but there's a difference between the two brands when using MSI Afterburner to overclock. For NVidia cards, the core clock and memory clock slider show the offset in MHz from the base clock speeds. For AMD cards, it shows the actual speed they're running at. That's just about it, though.

Would I benefit more from Freesync if I go with Vega or Shadowplay or G-Sync if i go with Nividia? 

(I do see alot more freesync monitors then G-sync and they are usually cheaper and less expensive)

Would I benefit more from Freesync if I go with Vega or Shadowplay or G-Sync if i go with Nividia? 

(I do see alot more freesync monitors then G-sync and they are usually cheaper and less expensive)

I don't think there's a big difference. If you want to save money, I'd wait a few weeks after Vega launches, get a Vega 56 (which looks like it'll be a 1070 killer, based on leaked benchmarks and confirmed prices), and then get a Freesync monitor.

I don't think there's a big difference. If you want to save money, I'd wait a few weeks after Vega launches, get a Vega 56 (which looks like it'll be a 1070 killer, based on leaked benchmarks and confirmed prices), and then get a Freesync monitor.

they are only selling vega 64 in bundles this august to avoid miners right?

they are only selling vega 64 in bundles this august to avoid miners right?

I believe so, yeah. From memory, there is a Vega 56 bundle you can get that'll give you a $200 discount on a specific Samsung Freesync monitor.

Just now, LeinadTM said:

I believe so, yeah. From memory, there is a Vega 56 bundle you can get that'll give you a $200 discount on a specific Samsung Freesync monitor.

that bundle was the reason I got so interested tbh but it turns out the monitor is REALLY EXPENSIVE (Like I think around 800 due to the fact that its ultrawide and 34 inches) it be a dream to have but eh i aint rich :(

43 minutes ago, LeinadTM said:

Is it worth spending an extra 100 on a GTX 1080 over the 1070 or am i better off getting the 1070 to save money?

that bundle was the reason I got so interested tbh but it turns out the monitor is REALLY EXPENSIVE (Like I think around 800 due to the fact that its ultrawide and 34 inches) it be a dream to have but eh i aint rich :(

Ah, wasn't aware of that. Yeah, I'd just wait a while and grab a Vega 56 on its own.

Is it worth spending an extra 100 on a GTX 1080 over the 1070 or am i better off getting the 1070 to save money?

Realistically, a 1070 will be more than enough. What sort of games are you planning to play? Unless you're trying to do something like The Witcher 3 at 4K, you won't need a 1080.

Actually, I'd wait a bit and get a Vega 56. Will be cheaper than a 1070, and better.

Just now, LeinadTM said:

Actually, I'd wait a bit and get a Vega 56. Will be cheaper than a 1070, and better.

gotchu

how does Vega 64 and Vega 56 compare? 

i know 64 is obviously the better card but how better per say?

Realistically, a 1070 will be more than enough. What sort of games are you planning to play? Unless you're trying to do something like The Witcher 3 at 4K, you won't need a 1080.

I am interested in getting a 1440p 144hz or even 4k monitor if i go with 1070 or 1080 whenever i get the time to save up so thats why i asked 

gotchu

how does Vega 64 and Vega 56 compare? 

i know 64 is obviously the better card but how better per say?

I actually don't know exactly. What I do know is that 56 is slightly better than a 1070, and 64 is slightly worse than a 1080. For reference, this is the difference between a 1070 and a 1080.