Comptia a+ certification

teedis

Hello everyone,

So I am just looking for some advise on how to obtain my Comptia A+ certification to try and start a career in IT. I have a little bit of computer knowledge from building most of my gaming PC. I have done a little bit of research and found the Comptia Certmaster program but it doesn't have very good reviews. An instructor-led course is way out of my price range. I was just wondering if anyone had any self learning recommendations such as online programs, books, or any other resources. 

1 hour ago, teedis said:

Hello everyone,

So I am just looking for some advise on how to obtain my Comptia A+ certification to try and start a career in IT. I have a little bit of computer knowledge from building most of (had to have my dad help) my gaming PC. I have done a little bit of research and found the comptia certmaster program but it seems it doesnt have very good reviews. Since an instructor led coarse is way out of my price range i was just wondering if anyone had and self learning recommendations such as online programs, books, or any other resources. 

No offense, but try brushing up on written English first, there are a few typos and misspelled words.

I got my Dell and Microsoft certifications upon finishing college, they were part of the courses I took at Georgia Tech.

You want certification? You need to earn it.

1 hour ago, H0R53 said:

No offense, but try brushing up on written English first, there are a few typos and misspelled words.

I got my Dell and Microsoft certifications upon finishing college, they were part of the courses I took at Georgia Tech.

You want certification? You need to earn it.

Haha yeah I was still half asleep when I wrote this. I am currently going to community college to get an associate's degree in Computer Information Systems. I still have to work full time though, I was just looking for some study material to start learning for the test. If I could get my certification out of the way, or at least start studying for it, then I would hopefully get a job that it closer to the field I want to go in. 

There are tons of example questions around all over the place. Going through those will give you a good idea on what to study. Unfortunately it's mostly the boring stuff, like "what does the corona wire do in a printer?". Knowing how to build a computer and what all the parts are for is helpful, but it's a pretty small portion of the test. I don't mean to try and intimidate you with that, I'm just saying you should focus on learning some of the very general stuff. 

I do think you could do enough practice questions to pass the test (it's basically what I did), but my school did offer this course https://testoutce.com/products/comptia-a-training and I think the material could be pretty helpful.

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

11 minutes ago, DaftBehemoth said:

There are tons of example questions around all over the place. Going through those will give you a good idea on what to study. Unfortunately it's mostly the boring stuff, like "what does the corona wire do in a printer?". Knowing how to build a computer and what all the parts are for is helpful, but it's a pretty small portion of the test. I don't mean to try and intimidate you with that, I'm just saying you should focus on learning some of the very general stuff. 

I do think you could do enough practice questions to pass the test (it's basically what I did), but my school did offer this course https://testoutce.com/products/comptia-a-training and I think the material could be pretty helpful.

1 hour ago, JayKay3000 said:

Depends what you want to know.

These exams can be handy... to some employers. Others might not care.

Learning anything can count as experience. If you built a network at home and had some sort of server. That's something you took the time to learn to do so it can count on your CV as experience. Employers prefer work place experience, but failing that you can pack it with home learned experience.

Sometimes all the experience in the world won't matter if they just don't like you and you can have little experience and get the job because of other factors throughout your work history or academic past.

Not saying it would not help. Just don't expect it to be a magic ticket.

1 hour ago, teedis said:

Haha yeah I was still half asleep when I wrote this. I am currently going to community college to get an associate's degree in Computer Information Systems. I still have to work full time though, I was just looking for some study material to start learning for the test. If I could get my certification out of the way, or at least start studying for it, then I would hopefully get a job that it closer to the field I want to go in. 

Try this on for size, this is what I had to do as part of my final exam in three of the courses I was taking (bundled, of course).

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/learn/dell-certification

1 minute ago, H0R53 said:

Try this on for size, this is what I had to do as part of my final exam in three of the courses I was taking (bundled, of course).

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/learn/dell-certification

Really not looking for certs, but thanks. 

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Depends on what field you want to get into and/or what education you have or will get.  If you're going to get an associates degree in IT then probably you won't need the CompTIA+ but if you want to become a computer technician without much other experience then having a CompTIA+ can be a good option to show employers that you know how computer hardware works and you know the basics of being a computer technician.  I advise getting MTA, Network+ as well because they are quite relevant skills to being a computer technician.

My advice on learning them is to get books online, read through them and use them as study guides.  For CompTIA+ my advice is to go to computer stores and say you are trying to get it and ask if you could work there for free and get a feel for it.  Many will deny it but push it, and keep persisting.  For Network+ just get a network+ book and that's sufficient, if you have a router at home or a PC that can support virtualisation you can actually make a virtual network  for free using PFsense and Windows (PM if you want help with that).   And MTA Developer or IT infrastructure will help you understand software and the cloud and servers.  So a book is sufficient or even just watching Microsoft Virtual Academy which is free and offers heaps of great courses. 

I'm getting a high level associates degree in Network Engineering, and it's pretty lame and basic, so it's a good thing you're not doing it.  Because it's overpriced for what it is.  If you want to get a education, get a Bachalor Degree and if you want to go higher, get a masters.  My goal is to get a masters in Information System and Business. Good luck.

I'd personally recommend testout.com I used it to get my Net+.(And know about 6 people from highschool that got their A+ using it.) About 3 years ago, not exactly the most thrilling courses. But I passed the test by a fair margin. I'd also recommend http://www.professormesser.com/, never used his website but he has a youtube series. 

Just now, H0R53 said:

That wasn't for you, that was for OP. I just quote everyone so they know I replied to the conversation :)

No worries, but there's a "Follow" button for the thread if people are interested in getting reply updates.

6 hours ago, teedis said:

Hello everyone,

So I am just looking for some advise on how to obtain my Comptia A+ certification to try and start a career in IT. I have a little bit of computer knowledge from building most of my gaming PC. I have done a little bit of research and found the Comptia Certmaster program but it doesn't have very good reviews. An instructor-led course is way out of my price range. I was just wondering if anyone had any self learning recommendations such as online programs, books, or any other resources. 

https://crucialexams.com/

That was pretty nice for practicing before I took my exam. Other than that I pretty much just went in with what I already knew and did alright, though I'm sure that won't be the case for most people.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W