Server HELP

hi im doing a project for one of my classes and right now we dont know whats better, a rack server or blade server.

we have to make a proposal for a server for a security company centered in surveillance. 

We are going to use BarraCuda hard drives for there performance.

1 minute ago, neckoblack said:

hi im doing a project for one of my classes and right now we dont know whats better, a rack server or blade server.

we have to make a proposal for a server for a security company centered in surveillance.

I would recommend a rack mounted solution because as long as you get a cabinet hat is big enough it is a lot easier to expand in the future

| CPU Intel I7 6700K | Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero | RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED 2666Mhz | GPU MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X + NZXT Kraken g12 w/ NZXT Kraken x52 | Case NZXT h440 | Storage 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 2TB Samsung 850 Evo | PSU EVGA Supernova G2 750W | Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate |

To clarify rack or blade or tower server...

A rack server usually is put into a Server Rack.

A Blade Server usually needs a case to be connected to, put in to. That then is again a rack mount.

A tower server is just like a PC in a tower case, just with server hardware and failover.

Rack server can be a powerful machine, far more powerful than a blade server. And usually it's cheaper, because a Blade needs a chassy to be put into. They don't run without their "holding case". If not using a NAS/SAN, expanding a rack mount server is easier. just add hdds if needed and expand the array. Blades haven't got much room for expansion but getting another additional blade for storage for example.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

1 minute ago, LeviBW said:

I would recommend a rack mounted solution because as long as you get a cabinet hat is big enough it is a lot easier to expand in the future

what kinda server specs do you recomend, we were thinking of using an intel xeon cpu but not really sure which one to use, also we have restriccions and have to mont the server using windows server O.S. and we are wondering what would be better , windows 2012 R2 Or windows 2016 server

Just now, neckoblack said:

what kinda server specs do you recomend, we were thinking of using an intel xeon cpu but not really sure which one to use, also we have restriccions and have to mont the server using windows server O.S. and we are wondering what would be better , windows 2012 R2 Or windows 2016 server

what CPU you need is going to vary based on what work load you are going to be putting on the server, and if the server is going to be focused on surveillance then I would Recommend Windows server 2016 because it has a few more modern security features

| CPU Intel I7 6700K | Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero | RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED 2666Mhz | GPU MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X + NZXT Kraken g12 w/ NZXT Kraken x52 | Case NZXT h440 | Storage 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 2TB Samsung 850 Evo | PSU EVGA Supernova G2 750W | Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate |

Does the server need any special capture cards or anything installed? Does it need a monitor for someone to sit at it and watch stuff? What is the expected storage requirements for the next 3years?

These are the sort of questions that you need to know first.

7 minutes ago, NZLaurence said:

Does the server need any special capture cards or anything installed? Does it need a monitor for someone to sit at it and watch stuff? What is the expected storage requirements for the next 3years?

These are the sort of questions that you need to know first.

those are good questions , honestly our professor left us in a bit of a void and said to use our creativity and create a proposal to sell to an imaginary client so most of this is left to our discretion. in short i dont know , tho idealy it should be powerfull, the server is GUI and most likely someone is going to be watching a monitor