Recommend me a good router

ingoi
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

I use an ASUS RT-AC68U (or some variant of it). Relatively similar in price if not cheaper, it has great coverage, and I've never had a problem with it (i.e., I haven't had to reset it to fix a network issue yet)

So I ordered a Linksys WRT1900ACS from NCIX but unfortunately my order has been delayed and I do not know when it will be shipped. So I was wondering if there are any good alternatives to this with Canadian pricing. I choose this router in the first place as ones that were "weaker" than it were around the same pricing range for Canadian currency.

If you know any routers that are better than this or equal while being within the same pricing range, please do recommended me it.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

I use an ASUS RT-AC68U (or some variant of it). Relatively similar in price if not cheaper, it has great coverage, and I've never had a problem with it (i.e., I haven't had to reset it to fix a network issue yet)

I second this router, or an R7000 from Netgear. Either way, be sure to replace the firmware with something like AdvancedTomato as soon as you receive it, since the features are a lot better and the QoS functionality will actually work properly. That being said, ASUS' routers are using a version of MerlinWRT (ASUS-WRT) already, so their factory firmware is probably the best out there and may not need replacing.

But before you buy a router, what issues are you having specifically? Range? Speed? Features? How big is your house? Is it 2 floors? 3? Does it have a basement? Do you need WiFi into the backyard? How many wired and wireless devices are connecting? Does everyone in the house want to stream Netflix at the same time?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

5 hours ago, kirashi said:

I second this router, or an R7000 from Netgear. Either way, be sure to replace the firmware with something like AdvancedTomato as soon as you receive it, since the features are a lot better and the QoS functionality will actually work properly. That being said, ASUS' routers are using a version of MerlinWRT (ASUS-WRT) already, so their factory firmware is probably the best out there and may not need replacing.

But before you buy a router, what issues are you having specifically? Range? Speed? Features? How big is your house? Is it 2 floors? 3? Does it have a basement? Do you need WiFi into the backyard? How many wired and wireless devices are connecting? Does everyone in the house want to stream Netflix at the same time?

It was mostly range that was an issue, the house is 2 floors and we indeed wanted wifi in the backyard. Our backyard isn't that big so just a decent router would be able to reach as we bought a router in store and it was able to reach but it had stuttering issues so we decided to order one online. There are about two wired devices and about 5 wireless devices, four more if we include phones. There is only one person who uses Netflix in the house.

Side Note: I never knew you could change the base firmware of a router, I always assumed you would be stuck with it.