Is it worth it to Raid 0/Raid 1?

Slayher

I have a custom build, really enjoying it so far but one things annoying me!

STORAGE 1: (C:) 2TB

STORAGE 2: (D:) 300GB

STORAGE 3: (F:) 500GB

I'm starting to dislike seeing multiple drives when I click on "My Computer" on Windows 8.1.

Could somebody explain to me the advantages/disadvantages of Raid 0/Raid 1 and which would be better for me?

I want to fuse them into 1 drive, but I don't want to lose all of my data if one drive dies out on me! I did research on both and Raid 1 seems to fit me the best! Could anybody let me know which would be better please! Happy Thanksgiving! :D

I think the drives have to have the same amount of capacity to be able to run raid, not an expert tho...

edit: well it's maybe not needed but still recommended

Edited by MoYo

current system:  i5 2500k @4.5ghz cooled by antec 620 - asrock z77 extreme 4 - 8gb corsair RAM - MSI Twin Frorz 7950 in crossfire - XFX 850w  - Fractal design R4 - samsung 840 120gb ssd - 500gb wd blue hdd - 1440p korean qnix monitor (love it!)

Well neither raid 0 or 1 will help directly with those drives. Maybe if you got another 2TB (or two bigger drives) and did raid 1 for redundancy and ditched the other drives.

You may also want to look into some alternate forms of raid and file systems. I believe I heard of something called raid-z:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-standard_RAID_levels#RAID-Z

If I recall right something like that can mash all your drives into one and provide some redundancy. Hope that helps and hope that an expert drops in soon :).

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399