Windows disabling USB ports on boot

Go to solution Solved by DavidTheWin,

Reinstalling windows fixed it. No idea what was wrong with the original install

Running a 6800k on an Asus X99 Strix with 2 GTX980s and a Samsung 960 Evo and a Samsung 840 Evo.

I installed the 960 Evo today with only a single graphics card in because the second card covers up the m.2 port. Got windows running fine and everything. Then when it came time to put the second card and the 840 Evo back in I booted up and only one of my USB ports was working in windows. They all worked fine in BIOS. I can see that right after the post screen within a second of the windows loading screen appearing that the LEDs in my mouse turn off so it's definitely something in windows doing it. However I can get to device manager with just my keyboard in the one working USB port and see that it's recognising all the USB ports on the motherboard.

I thought I might have run out of bandwidth but the 6800k has 28 PCIe lanes, I'm using x16 (1st 980) x8 (2nd 980) x4 (960 Evo) so I'm fine for PCIe bandwidth.

I've tried different SATA ports for the 840 in case a different SATA controller was trying to use bandwidth that wasn't there.

I've looked through my motherboard's manual and haven't seen anything about weird combinations of ports not working when maxing PCIe bandwidth, no odd POST code either.

I've tried taking the second card and 840 Evo out but still the same problem. This leads me to think it's an obscure windows setting but I'm stumped.

Edit: it also doesn't recognise my second 980, device manager reports it as a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" and the nvidia control panel doesn't see it.

Edited by DavidTheWin

Possibly faulty mobo or a fast boot setting, my msi board disables the USB ports on boot and you need to turn it Of in windows or your f*****

Reinstalling the graphics drivers fixed the SLI issue. Using a USB hub to work around the USB issue for now. I've discovered there's still power available through them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Reinstalling windows fixed it. No idea what was wrong with the original install

• 1 month later...