IBM 386 no longer getting into OS (I think)

codytappen

So my Grandfather has me fixing his old work machine that uses software he is very familiar with (i.e. don't tell me to buy a new computer and get new software [yet]). Okay, it's able to boot up, and after it does I get the error code 10480. It shows 10480 *arrow to the right* *OK with a slash through it* *arrow pointing right* *book with IBM logo on it*. Unfortunately I didn't get a screenshot of the error. I also disassembled the machine and checked for any physical damage (none was found). I reseated the RAM and reattached all of the expansion cards; the pictures are below. I assume the HDD is dying; it won't boot without it though. I presume this means it's not all the way dead. I don't have access to the manual yet, but my Grandfather is trying to get it from his work. If anyone can find the manual online it would be of great help. Below are all the pictures I took.

post-2224-0-03845300-1385663380_thumb.jp

post-2224-0-73390400-1385663470_thumb.jp

post-2224-0-25404300-1385663565_thumb.jp

post-2224-0-57896700-1385663688_thumb.jp

post-2224-0-92487000-1385663724_thumb.jp

This one is just me trying out a buckling spring keyboard :)

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

dat model m :o

Main: AMD Athlon X4 750K| Coolermaster Hyper TX3 EVO | Gigabyte GA-F2A75M-HD2 | 8GB Kingston 1333mhz | WD Caviar Green 1tb | Coolermaster N200 | OCZ coreXstream 500w | Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB | |Kingston 3k ssd 128gb |

My friend has a model M and he was going to trow it AWAY, i slapped him in the face and told him to keep it....

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Model m  :o

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

My friend has a model M and he was going to trow it AWAY, i slapped him in the face and told him to keep it....

why didnt u just ask him for it dont tell him the significance of it he clearly doesnt appreciate it other wise he would of kept it.

why didnt u just ask him for it dont tell him the significance of it he clearly doesnt appreciate it other wise he would of kept it.

well, i didnt want to 'steal' it from him...

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

wtf ..386? don't they have dos emulators for newer pcs if you REALLY need some old software?

the company he works for should of updated years ago thats ridiculous.

holy cow what os does it run 3.0?

3.3 If I'm not mistaken.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

wtf ..386? don't they have dos emulators for newer pcs if you REALLY need some old software?

I need it to run some specialized software; can I get some guidance finding a DOS emulator that would be fit for this situation.

Have a wonderful day.

the company he works for should of updated years ago thats ridiculous.

He does have better computers, but he likes a specialized software on this one.

Note:I know I'm supposed to post one comment quoting all three of comments I adressed; I have trouble doing that because I'm on the mobile version.

Have a wonderful day.

I need it to run some specialized software; can I get some guidance finding a DOS emulator that would be fit for this situation.

google search will give you an extensive list, but a popular one is Dosbox.  Another option is VirtualMachine.  Just out of curiosity, what software does he  use on the 386?