Should switching from 144hz to 60hz really be this noticeable?

Go to solution Solved by suits,

I feel the same way. I can tell when my setting change to 60hz on my monitor. It's usually do to tearing because the FPS are much higher than 60hz

I have 3 144hz monitors that I have owned since 2015 and until December of 2016 I was using 60hz, I just never really bothered to use the 144hz (I wasn't too knowledgeable of it at the time). I have been using 144hz ever since.

Anyway, I decided to switch back to 60hz today to see if I could really feel the difference, it seems I can. Just moving the mouse around on the desktop gives me a huge headache and I can't really "see" the cursor properly, it just looks like a blurred triangle and moves pretty slow, I can never remember it being this bad; how did I use it for so long if so?

Is this normal or is my monitor just bad?

considering that people have been shown in tests to be able to identify fighter jets in 1/512 (AFAIK) of a second, yes, it could be very noticeable 

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

@Gungpae @MysticalRainXIV @Max_Settings

Also is it normal for a 60hz monitor to stutter when using a 144hz monitor at the same time? (dual monitors).

Whenever I set my main monitor to 144hz and my secondary to 60hz, the secondary 60hz monitor will stutter like crazy when watching gameplay videos.

I'm used to 180hz and I can't use phones @ 60hz or anything at 60hz for more than about 20 minutes

Just now, Celios said:

-snip-

Entirely possible since the monitors cant be "synced" per say and the gpu has to try to push the 144 to one monitor while try to figure out how to make that an even 60. Try setting both monitors to 60 and see what happens

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

1 minute ago, MysticalRainXIV said:

Entirely possible since the monitors cant be "synced" per say and the gpu has to try to push the 144 to one monitor while try to figure out how to make that an even 60. Try setting both monitors to 60 and see what happens

Yeah, setting both monitors to 60hz fixes it.

I'll just use both monitors at 144hz then... just seems a bit unnecessary.

2 minutes ago, Celios said:

-snip-

you're telling me that your 60hz monitor can display up to 144hz..? Or are both monitors actually 144hz

Main Rig:

My Folding Stats

55 minutes ago, MysticalRainXIV said:

you're telling me that your 60hz monitor can display up to 144hz..? Or are both monitors actually 144hz

Both monitors are 144hz, I was just wondering if it was better to use the secondary as 60hz since I don't use it to game. I have 3 of the 144hz and wanted to use the 2 secondary monitors as 60hz because I thought maybe it would be unnecessary horsepower and affect in-game frames.

EDIT - Anyway, it seems the 60hz monitor doesn't stutter if it's set to the main display and the 144hz as a secondary, guessing it's a Windows issue then.

EDIT 2 - Wasn't a Windows issue, the "stuttering" turned out to be a Chrome issue. Solution was to disable hardware acceleration in Chrome. A guy in the comments of this Reddit thread pointed it out. Funny how this was such a simple fix and I've been trying to find a solution for months...

Oh I see @Celios

Main Rig:

My Folding Stats

2 minutes ago, MysticalRainXIV said:

Oh I see @Celios

Yeah, not sure what was up, maybe my GPU is just faulty, I doubt it's actually an issue with Chrome. Anyway I don't think Hardware Accel helps much in Chrome anyway so it's an alright work-around. 

Thanks for commenting!

I feel the same way. I can tell when my setting change to 60hz on my monitor. It's usually do to tearing because the FPS are much higher than 60hz