MSI afterburner doesn't keep settings

Lord Nicoll
Go to solution Solved by Zando_,
1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Yes, the card goes up to 1527MHz stable, but I soldered copper bus bars over the current shunts

Hmmm. If you save it to a profile, does activating that bring the settings back? Then you just need to open Afterburner and click the profile. 

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Cool! What 980 is yours? Mine is the Gaming series one with the TwinFrozr cooler. 

mine is the same one, MSI Gaming 4G, it sucks so much ass I almost returned it.

Yours faithfully

mine is the same one, MSI Gaming 4G, it sucks so much ass I almost returned it.

How come? Mine is fine, and I usually like EVGA’s cards, but this one is beautiful. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

How come? Mine is fine, and I usually like EVGA’s cards, but this one is beautiful. 

The cooler wobbles so much in the mount, I added some washers so it'd clamp down a little more, the board is super flexible as the VRM and RAM coolers are separate, and the plasic shroud offers nothing. The fin stack is smaller because the shroud is so big in  areas, the fans are some weak ass shit, fucking almost no air flow at 100%, sure they're quiet and move a lot of air for the noise, but for the RPM it's bad, and almost no static pressure. Only one fan was controllable in MSI after burner, I had to tether the PWM signal from the fan that was controllable to the one that wasn't, the thermal pads they used where COMPLETE shit, hard and brittle and poor conductance, and the power phases, actually not that bad, but still only a doubled up 4 phase. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

The cooler wobbles so much in the mount, I added some washers so it'd clamp down a little more, the board is super flexible as the VRM and RAM coolers are separate, and the plasic shroud offers nothing. The fin stack is smaller because the shroud is so big in  areas, the fans are some weak ass shit, fucking almost no air flow at 100%, sure they're quiet and move a lot of air for the noise, but for the RPM it's bad, and almost no static pressure. Only one fan was controllable in MSI after burner, I had to tether the PWM signal from the fan that was controllable to the one that wasn't, the thermal pads they used where COMPLETE shit, hard and brittle and poor conductance, and the power phases, actually not that bad, but still only a doubled up 4 phase. 

Wow. Mine seems solid as anything. Maybe the Ti version is built better? Though the 980 is still a high end card (or was when it came out) so it’s strange they’d make it crappy. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Wow. Mine seems solid as anything. Maybe the Ti version is built better? Though the 980 is still a high end card (or was when it came out) so it’s strange they’d make it crappy. 

Idk if the TI model is, please note I'm a follower of Buildzoid and will instantly completely discredit a GPU for even the tiniest reason, I'd wager money nobody would have noticed what I just said, I have never handled the ti model, so it might have the same things I listed there but you didn't notice because you weren't looking (I was, I noticed the PCB moves up but the cooler doesn't, to me that is very poor performance)

Yours faithfully

Idk if the TI model is, please note I'm a follower of Buildzoid and will instantly completely discredit a GPU for even the tiniest reason, I'd wager money nobody would have noticed what I just said, I have never handled the ti model, so it might have the same things I listed there but you didn't notice because you weren't looking (I was, I noticed the PCB moves up but the cooler doesn't, to me that is very poor performance)

Yeah, especially since I moved from a single fan 1050 Ti. I doubt I’d notice any problems with the rigidity. Doesn’t matter too much anyways, since I’ll eventually get a waterblock and custom loop. 

Main PC 

Yeah, especially since I moved from a single fan 1050 Ti. I doubt I’d notice any problems with the rigidity. Doesn’t matter too much anyways, since I’ll eventually get a waterblock and custom loop. 

I would put a block on this, but, that is a lot of effort since I don't plan to use it for that much, this GTX 980 is to me, what that GTX 1050ti was to you, I am still deciding if I wanna volt mod it

Yours faithfully

4 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I would put a block on this, but, that is a lot of effort since I don't plan to use it for that much, this GTX 980 is to me, what that GTX 1050ti was to you, I am still deciding if I wanna volt mod it

Whatcha looking to upgrade to?

Main PC 

hehe, water cooled SLI GTX 1080ti for 165Hz+ 1440p gaming, I'm going to wait until I buy the cards and monitor together, it'll knock like €3000+ out of me currently, so I'm waiting until volta comes out and nobody cares about the GTX 1080ti anymore. 

Yours faithfully

19 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Saving it as a profile did work actually, also I modded the BIOS and seemed to have gotten the Vcore to 1.288v, which is a little bit of a boost without any soldering which is nice. 

Yours faithfully