(HELP)Weird read errors on playstation 2

Found my old playstation 2 along with some other childhood gems yesterday.I Tried to play the ps2 games on the ps2,but "disk read error" popped up. I also tried a playstation one game and it seemed to work for some odd reason.Also I tried a near-perfect condition dvd movie (star wars new hope) and it ALSO worked. Of course it being super dusty I raided it with the compressed air duster and tried to open it up to get to the insides,but I did not have the right screwdriver so I blasted the fan vent a little to loosen up some dust.
(I used ps2 games that were in the best condition possible with some minor surface scratches.)

So I bought a cd/DVD lens cleaner disk at the local Walmart and then popped it right into the playstation 2,to my avail it had a "read error"(wth).It was supposed to do audio tests and run a cleaning cycle for ten minutes ,but I could not get to that due to the read error.

Now I know some solid state lasers on old consoles are dying ,but this is like 10-11 years old not sure if it 
Can someone help me?

EDIT: Also threw in an empty DVD-r with no data on it, still not working, also ps1 games still work.

There are some service menus available for the PS2.  However, they're dependent on your model and the firmware revision, so you might have to search for that.

It is possible that the laser assembly armature (gearing, movement motor) have gone bad, or the grease has gone bad.  Or, the drive entirely has gone bad.  Either way once you have the right tool it's not terribly difficult to disassemble, although it may be annoying to swap out the drive assembly.  All of this is also contingent on if it's the larger or smaller models as well, as they have different drive assemblies.

If I'm not mistaken though, since PS1 discs are CD based and CDs use a different laser, it's possible the DVD read laser's gone.  If you have a CD-based PS2 game such as Robot Alchemic drive (I don't know of others personally) you could test that.

Wait a tick...reread your post and saw that the DVD worked fine.

Ok, that's somewhat strange, I take back my advice on swapping the read heads.  Both lasers are working if you can play CDs and DVDs. 

Do you have any CD-based PS2 games to try?

Could try the diagnosis feature, though it's a long shot:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/915821-playstation-2/67608677

8 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

Wait a tick...reread your post and saw that the DVD worked fine.

Ok, that's somewhat strange, I take back my advice on swapping the read heads.  Both lasers are working if you can play CDs and DVDs. 

Do you have any CD-based PS2 games to try?

Could try the diagnosis feature, though it's a long shot:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/915821-playstation-2/67608677

I tried the diagnosis feature on another disk. the (only) PS2 CD game that I have does not work,but now all of the ps2 dvds work. I have encountered some skipping issues with some other ones ,but those look like they have been in a war so my disks near cleaning badly.