GPU PCB experts needed. HD 6950

Here's the deal. I want to buy a defective Sapphire HD 6950 for litecoin mining off of ebay.

The way that it is defective, is, that a micro chip fell off the PCB. The seller claims that since then it only produces stripes. Now i need to know if this micro chip is any important for just running it on load 24/7. i don't care about image output when I'm mining on it. :D I attached some pictures, it's just a tiny chip. The number that stands right next to it is 1720. I'll also leave a link to a full picture of a Spphire hd 6950 PCB.

http://pctuning.tyden.cz/ilustrace3/obermaier/6950_1GB/det_7.jpg

post-31147-0-52558200-1385641496.jpg

post-31147-0-69358900-1385641497.jpg

who cares...

I hate that if nobody answers within 3 minutes the thread get's lost forever. With that said, off to the new content!

who cares...

That looks like a voltage regulator. Definitely necessary for operation.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

That looks like a voltage regulator. Definitely necessary for operation.

I apprehended sth. like that. How sure are you?

who cares...

I apprehended sth. like that. How sure are you?

Not certain. But I've worked with surface mounted components a lot and it certainly looks like one. I wouldn't recommend getting it anyways unless you're confident about the part number and how to replace a SMT component. I can't see it very well, but it doesn't look like the connecting pads are there.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Not certain. But I've worked with surface mounted components a lot and it certainly looks like one. I wouldn't recommend getting it anyways unless you're confident about the part number and how to replace a SMT component. I can't see it very well, but it doesn't look like the connecting pads are there.

I guess I'd have to get the exact same chip that fell off and learn how to solder in such a small scale. :D

It was just one of the better defective AMD cards that i found on ebay for mining. Most other cards just straight out turned black out of nowhere. But this one is absolutley fine, except for that tiny chip. but if it's a voltage regulator it's pretty much dead.

who cares...

cant you buy a replacement from ebay

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

cant you buy a replacement from ebay

Meh. i don't know. And as i know my luck I' screw up the soldering. Anyways, it sold for 44€, I'd never have spent that much.

who cares...

The chip is either a voltage regulator or a stand alone transistor.  If you can get the part number and buy it from digikey then I would do it.  It's a simple fix as long as it didn't fry anything when it broke.