PC started freezing after driver update

Murilo_A

Note: Already posted on Troubleshooting, no answers at all. Trying here to see if I get anything

Nvidia released a new driver yesterday, so I updated, after a while, my PC started freezing, it did once, got back working for some time and then did it again, so I got back to the older driver, but after a while, it did the third time and this time it completely froze and didn't got back, pressing the power or reset button didn't work, but it shut down and restarted after some time (holding the power button worked). Can't acess with TeamViewer or Chrome Desktop Remote, the only recent change I've made was installing the nvidia driver and installing Office 2016 (although I also installed on my laptop which is working fine, so I don't think that could be causing the problem). Oh, and when it freezes, my main monitor (connected to the Nvidia GPU) goes completely black and the secondary monitor (connected to the motherboard) freezes. Update: It froze 3 more times after writing this topic, played CS:GO for about half an hour and no problems at all (saw two artifacts, one was a black bar that appeared in the menu, and a strange square while gaming, both went for less than a second, not sure if there's anything related or just a CS bug)

Useful info:

-It is not overheating, fans are working fine and temps are okay

-I've noticed GPU temperature at idle is a bit higher than before, but not out of control (49C)

-All times I was just using Chrome

-No cables seen to be partially connected

-All the other drivers are up to date

-BIOS is up to date (2110)

-Last BSOD I got was a long time ago, and it happened only once

-Memory test didn't found any problems

-No SMART problems on the boot drive (one of the HDs has reallocated some sectors, but it was working fine even with this and I doubt it caused it since there are no system files there)

Specs:

-i5 4460 w/ Cooler Box

-8GB RAM (2x4) G.Skill

-Asus B85M-E/BR

-PNY GTX 760 2GB

-Kingston V300 240GB

-WD Blue 1TB

-Seagate Barracuda 250GB (the one that has reallocated some sectors)

-Cougar ST Plus 500

-Windows 10 Home 64-bit - Anniversary edition

TL;DR: My PC started freezing after driver update, didn't go back to normal after reinstalling old driver

Did you use DDU? and fix the formatting I could only read the final two lines

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

1 minute ago, Billy_Mays said:

Did you use DDU

I should, I didn't in the first place because I had to use it, so I just installed the old driver. Trying it now.

3 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

fix the formatting I could only read the final two lines

For me it looks fine, do you mean the way I type or the final two lines are the only readable lines?

Just now, Murilo_A said:

I should, I didn't in the first place because I had to use it, so I just installed the old driver. Trying it now.

For me it looks fine, do you mean the way I type or the final two lines are the only readable lines?

For dark theme users it's impossible for us to read a dark colour on a dark colour

5 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

For dark theme users it's impossible for us to read a dark colour on a dark colour

Didn't even know there was a dark theme, maybe it got black because I pasted wo removing formatting, see if it works now

8 minutes ago, Murilo_A said:

Didn't even know there was a dark theme, maybe it got black because I pasted wo removing formatting, see if it works now

Yeah it's  useful for people that do the forums at night

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

My computer act very weird when I used DDU, when I restarted, my wallpaper was changed and the secondary monitor was set to main (ok, not so strange because the Intel still had it's drivers, but never happened before even when using DDU). Then while installing Nvidia drivers, the secondary monitor went standby and in Device Manager, both GPUs had a triangle with the message "Windows stopped this device because encountered problems. (Code 43)". Installing Intel drivers again and the secondary monitor got back and triangle on the device manager disappeared (only on the Intel GPU), after rebooting both triangles are gone and for now it seens to be fine, but I can't call it solved since it takes some time to freeze.

58 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

Took about 18 minutes to froze this time, DDU didn't solve anything.

i cant read any of this post cuz your text is black.  set text colour to "default"

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

6 hours ago, Murilo_A said:

Took about 18 minutes to froze this time, DDU didn't solve anything.

I really don't know is to fix that but @Dackzy could help

By driver do you mean geforce experience or the actual driver?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

By driver do you mean geforce experience or the actual driver?

Both, the driver had an update, but when I deleted I deleted everything 

8 hours ago, Tsuki said:

i cant read any of this post cuz your text is black.  set text colour to "default"

lol, I already changed it but it didnt work, I'll paste here and see if it works

Note: Already posted on Troubleshooting, no answers at all. Trying here to see if I get anything

Nvidia released a new driver yesterday, so I updated, after a while, my PC started freezing, it did once, got back working for some time and then did it again, so I got back to the older driver, but after a while, it did the third time and this time it completely froze and didn't got back, pressing the power or reset button didn't work, but it shut down and restarted after some time (holding the power button worked). Can't acess with TeamViewer or Chrome Desktop Remote, the only recent change I've made was installing the nvidia driver and installing Office 2016 (although I also installed on my laptop which is working fine, so I don't think that could be causing the problem). Oh, and when it freezes, my main monitor (connected to the Nvidia GPU) goes completely black and the secondary monitor (connected to the motherboard) freezes. Update: It froze 3 more times after writing this topic, played CS:GO for about half an hour and no problems at all (saw two artifacts, one was a black bar that appeared in the menu, and a strange square while gaming, both went for less than a second, not sure if there's anything related or just a CS bug)

Useful info:

-It is not overheating, fans are working fine and temps are okay

-I've noticed GPU temperature at idle is a bit higher than before, but not out of control (49C)

-All times I was just using Chrome

-No cables seen to be partially connected

-All the other drivers are up to date

-BIOS is up to date (2110)

-Last BSOD I got was a long time ago, and it happened only once

-Memory test didn't found any problems

-No SMART problems on the boot drive (one of the HDs has reallocated some sectors, but it was working fine even with this and I doubt it caused it since there are no system files there)

Specs:

-i5 4460 w/ Cooler Box

-8GB RAM (2x4) G.Skill

-Asus B85M-E/BR

-PNY GTX 760 2GB

-Kingston V300 240GB

-WD Blue 1TB

-Seagate Barracuda 250GB (the one that has reallocated some sectors)

-Cougar ST Plus 500

-Windows 10 Home 64-bit - Anniversary edition

TL;DR: My PC started freezing after driver update, didn't go back to normal after reinstalling old driver

20 minutes ago, Murilo_A said:

Both, the driver had an update, but when I deleted I deleted everything 

When you then installed the older version did you do so they couldn't update GFE?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

When you then installed the older version did you do so they couldn't update GFE?

GFE didnt updated because I didnt opened it after I reinstalled the drivers

59 minutes ago, Murilo_A said:

GFE didnt updated because I didnt opened it after I reinstalled the drivers

TBH I think it might be a hardware problem, but not sure. 

50 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

TBH I think it might be a hardware problem, but not sure. 

I'm also thinking is a hardware problem, I though it might be the PSU because it's not very good, but playing CS for half an hour and no problems at all, so the GPU might be dying, also, forgot to note, one of the times after freezing and restarting, main monitor started blinking (it was not the monitor, the menu didn't blink, only my PC) a bit after and it froze again, didn't saw it blinking after that

1 hour ago, Murilo_A said:

I'm also thinking is a hardware problem, I though it might be the PSU because it's not very good, but playing CS for half an hour and no problems at all, so the GPU might be dying, also, forgot to note, one of the times after freezing and restarting, main monitor started blinking (it was not the monitor, the menu didn't blink, only my PC) a bit after and it froze again, didn't saw it blinking after that

TBH I would try and put another card in it, just something that can provide a video out and see if it also does that in your PC

37 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

TBH I would try and put another card in it, just something that can provide a video out and see if it also does that in your PC

I'm currently trying Nvidia chat, the first attendent said it was a problem with my dual gpu setup (disabled iGPU, didn't work) now the other said to change some configs in the control panel, I'm waiting until it crashes again, it's probably a hardware fault so this is sort of useless, I might try removing my GPU and running on integraded, since I don't have any GPU lying around