RTL-SDR

TheUncannyScrub

I Just got my first RTL-SDR Thingy and was able to listen to ATC at my local airport and during the airshow, what can i do to get a better signal and what is a better kit, device/Arial kit or separate other then This??

Thanks!

this might interest you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RTLSDR/

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 minutes ago, TheUncannyScrub said:

I was taken there from /all a few weeks ago, really nice people, thought id hedge my bets here.

haha same

i dont really have an interest in them, or what they actually do, but i am subscribed because.... why not? 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

haha same

i dont really have an interest in them, or what they actually do, but i am subscribed because.... why not? 

Fun and pretty harmless hobby

The first thing to do is to get the antenna and sdr away from noise sources. Getting a long usb extension with a ferrite bead to get the sdr away from the computer helps quite a bit. What really helps with reception though is having the right antenna for the job. If you want to listen to say, 70cm ham or police radio, then you need a ~433mhz antenna or if you want to listen to hf amateur radio frequencies you need a specific antenna for that band. there are very wide band antennas available, but you seriously sacrifice gain for that flexibility.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

14 hours ago, bob345 said:

The first thing to do is to get the antenna and sdr away from noise sources. Getting a long usb extension with a ferrite bead to get the sdr away from the computer helps quite a bit. What really helps with reception though is having the right antenna for the job. If you want to listen to say, 70cm ham or police radio, then you need a ~433mhz antenna or if you want to listen to hf amateur radio frequencies you need a specific antenna for that band. there are very wide band antennas available, but you seriously sacrifice gain for that flexibility.

I'd like to listen to as man frequency's as possible but the main ones I go for are from 108mhz to 123mhz  with 119.7mhz being the main one i spend my time trying to get :)

2 hours ago, TheUncannyScrub said:

I'd like to listen to as man frequency's as possible but the main ones I go for are from 108mhz to 123mhz  with 119.7mhz being the main one i spend my time trying to get :)

In that case I'd get the biggest air band antenna you can reasonably set up with a broadcast fm blocking band pass filter. Should give you better results.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz