Upgrade time.

Go to solution Solved by tom_w141,
18 minutes ago, Madinventer said:

It's time for an upgrade. Recently coil whine has come to plague my R9 290x. I need a card with more crab than 4gb. Even on a 1600 x 900 (I'll be upgrading to 1080p) screen I have games that max my 290 out. I like to play open world games but I definitely want ultra in them all. I was going to get a GTX 1060 but I've just recently discovered some issues possible with the card. I'd just like recommendations. I'm also thinking nvidia is the way to go. Many thanks in advance. ?

You are literally a week away from vega being launched. I suggest patience as it may have a 1070 like offering for less.

It's time for an upgrade. Recently coil whine has come to plague my R9 290x. I need a card with more crab than 4gb. Even on a 1600 x 900 (I'll be upgrading to 1080p) screen I have games that max my 290 out. I like to play open world games but I definitely want ultra in them all. I was going to get a GTX 1060 but I've just recently discovered some issues possible with the card. I'd just like recommendations. I'm also thinking nvidia is the way to go. Many thanks in advance. ?

1 minute ago, Madinventer said:

Country and budget? Also, will you count the new monitor in your budget? 

I'd go for an RX580 8GB or 1060 6GB of you can find one, or a used 980/980 Ti, or a 1070. What's your budget?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

What issues have you discovered with the GTX 1060? On Nvidia's side for 1080p gaming either go for a 1060 or a 1070 if you want it to last longer and max out all your games.

18 minutes ago, Madinventer said:

You are literally a week away from vega being launched. I suggest patience as it may have a 1070 like offering for less.

Budget is $400 for a card but I can stretch that.

not everybody has the issues but the horrible frame drops, "sleep mode" boot issue, and I just don't want to run the card at its max clock all the time to fix the frame issue if I end up having it.

Edit: I'm in the US.

Edited by Madinventer

15 minutes ago, Madinventer said:

you too hahaha ,my powercolor is starting to wine like crazy ! 

4 minutes ago, xtasemusic said:

you too hahaha ,my powercolor is starting to wine like crazy ! 

does ur powercolor also performs like shit? mine too!