Media Encoder

Can anyone recommend a decent media encoder?

I have spent the last few days during my blu-ray collection into a digital library, while it is going fine, I am running out of space on my 2TB NAS, and while I do plan on expanding that, I don't have the near £1000 for my plan, so is there any encoder that I can use to reduce the size somewhat without loosing quality?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

Can anyone recommend a decent media encoder?

I have spent the last few days during my blu-ray collection into a digital library, while it is going fine, I am running out of space on my 2TB NAS, and while I do plan on expanding that, I don't have the near £1000 for my plan, so is there any encoder that I can use to reduce the size somewhat without loosing quality?

Thanks

no pretty much anything you do that reduces size will reduce quality in some way. you could try compressing them with something like 7zip but you'll have to decompress before watching 

Just now, Alaradia said:

no pretty much anything you do that reduces size will reduce quality in some way

H.265 reduces size a lot, but doesn't reduce quality.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

If you have Adobe media encoder im sure you could use one of those presets to give you a lower file size.

I am sure that you realize that in almost every scenario any reduction in file size also comes with reduction in quality, saying that you might not be able to see the reduction in video quality.

EDIT:

H.264 or H.265 which will come out as .MP4 is most likely your best option since its lossless

what encoding are you using right now?
Have you tried HVEC x265 ? - that's the latest and greatest for high quality, high compression ratio

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

3 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

no pretty much anything you do that reduces size will reduce quality in some way. you could try compressing them with something like 7zip but you'll have to decompress before watching 

1 minute ago, zak rooley said:

If you have Adobe media encoder im sure you could use one of those presets to give you a lower file size.

I am sure that you realize that in almost every scenario any reduction in file size also comes with reduction in quality, saying that you might not be able to see the reduction in video quality.

Just now, DXMember said:

what encoding are you using right now?
Have you tried HVEC x265 ? - that's the latest and greatest for high quality, high compression ratio

Ok my Bad, I should have said perceivable drop in quality, I have just been leaving it as the "raw" if that is the right term format it comes out of make mkv in, need something to change it into a new format, and something to change it too, I currently have a older version of movavi converter as I needed it for an airsoft project a while back, the reason it is out of date is they want you to pay for a new key for the updates so I will be leaving it as it is as I already paid when I got it, not paying again to minor changes

Just now, Yatys 93 said:

Ok my Bad, I should have said perceivable drop in quality, I have just been leaving it as the "raw" if that is the right term format it comes out of make mkv in, need something to change it into a new format, and something to change it too, I currently have a older version of movavi converter as I needed it for an airsoft project a while back, the reason it is out of date is they want you to pay for a new key for the updates so I will be leaving it as it is as I already paid when I got it, not paying again to minor changes

you could try using handbrake

Just now, Yatys 93 said:

You can try VLC? it's pretty free and let's you reencode stuff and stuff...

Or Handbrake

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

Just now, Alaradia said:

you could try using handbrake

is handbrake not just another ripping software? I have used it for some DVD's that mkv didn't read?

Just now, DXMember said:

You can try VLC? it's pretty free and let's you reencode stuff and stuff...

Or Handbrake

is there anything VLC can't do :P

Just now, Yatys 93 said:

is there anything VLC can't do :P

I doesn't make you a sandwich

you also can't have sexes with it...

4 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

i dont think its used for ripping i haven't used it for that what i've used it for is transcoding video files 

https://handbrake.fr/

I can guarantee it has that feature in there, Like I said I used it for a couple DVD's that mkv didn't like for some reason, so I didn't dig around with it, will look into it now though

5 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

I can guarantee it has that feature in there, Like I said I used it for a couple DVD's that mkv didn't like for some reason, so I didn't dig around with it, will look into it now though

yeah i just checked your right 

Just now, Alaradia said:

yeah i just checked your right 

Like you said it doesn't appear to be its main feature, but that is what I found it for, will leave it to convert stuff when I have some time off, the overclocked 8350 in my editing box is not a cool chip in this weather :P

• 3 weeks later...

new idea, I am looking into getting premier, which comes with media encoder, would that work?

On 18/07/2017 at 4:58 PM, zak rooley said:

EDIT:

H.264 or H.265 which will come out as .MP4 is most likely your best option since its lossless

I agree i have adobe media encoder and it works great.