PC Shutting off when running Kombustor

Go to solution Solved by LooneyJuice,
3 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

I understand what youre saying but i dont understand why the vrms are failing. im only using 172.54902 amps and they can supply 200. i also doubt theyre running at 125c or over. And the clocks are as low as 1100 sometimes as it is power throttling at 220 watts

I probably worded it poorly, as it may seem like I implied hardware failure. I only meant a cutoff due to predescribed conditions in the vBios etc. Other than that, it could just simply be an unstable OC for that load, simple as that. This hanging behavior is consistent with an OC dropping out. NV cards in my experience tend to recover more often rather than flat out black/brown/grey screen. AMD cards more frequently require flat out reboots.

SO i have a sapphire rx 480 and whenever i run kombustor with my overclock (1275 mv 1410 core 2215 mem) for a minute or so my screen turns off. the power draw is around 220 watts. I think that either something on the pcb is either giving out or seeing that the tdp is so high and stopping it. The OC is stable in everything else. all help is appreciated. thanks

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

its likely a bad OC.. back it down a tick or 2 and test it. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

its likely a bad OC.. back it down a tick or 2 and test it. 

its not a bad oc. a bad oc would just crash the driver, not to mention its power throttling when i run it

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Your title and your post are somewhat conflicting.

Are you just having blackscreens/hangs while the PC is still on, or are you getting flat out power cutoffs?

If it's the latter, what's your exact PSU? Power cutoffs aren't really a symptom of unstable overclocks as they may be of overtemp protection, overcurrent protection or something of the sort under heavy load. Unstable GPU OCs usually manifest themselves as hangs, driver crashes and the like, but rarely have I known of cutoffs unless there was something else that was wrong.

It sounds even more likely the PSU is just cutting off seeing as Kombustor is a power virus test.

If it just hangs, you need to back off on the OC.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

2 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

Your title and your post are somewhat conflicting.

Are you just having blackscreens/hangs while the PC is still on, or are you getting flat out power cutoffs?

If it's the latter, what's your exact PSU? Power cutoffs aren't really a symptom of unstable overclocks as they may be of overtemp protection, overcurrent protection or something of the sort under heavy load. Unstable GPU OCs usually manifest themselves as hangs, driver crashes and the like, but rarely have I known of cutoffs unless there was something else that was wrong.

It sounds even more likely the PSU is just cutting off seeing as Kombustor is a power virus test.

If it just hangs, you need to back off on the OC.

it doesnt flat out shut down but it does go black. its like the graphics card died while the cpu continued running as the sound still works after. i just dont know how it would be unstable as its not even reaching high clocks.

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Just now, Nickathom said:

it doesnt flat out shut down but it does go black. its like the graphics card died while the cpu continued running as the sound still works after. i just dont know how it would be unstable as its not even reaching high clocks.

If it hangs, that sounds like a stability related crash, yes. Not to mention, something like Kombustor would put a pretty unrealistic load especially on the VRM of the card. Safeguards may be kicking in as a result and just cutting power to the card. The easiest way to verify whether it's kicking in due to your overclock or not is just dropping the clocks. I will say, I'm not a massive fan of stuff like Furmark and Kombustor unless you're testing power components, so if your card works normally under anything else you put it under, I wouldn't worry much.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

Just now, LooneyJuice said:

If it hangs, that sounds like a stability related crash, yes. Not to mention, something like Kombustor would put a pretty unrealistic load especially on the VRM of the card. Safeguards may be kicking in as a result and just cutting power to the card. The easiest way to verify whether it's kicking in due to your overclock or not is just dropping the clocks. I will say, I'm not a massive fan of stuff like Furmark and Kombustor unless you're testing power components, so if your card works normally under anything else you put it under, I wouldn't worry much.

ok. could it just be because the tdp is too high or is something getting too hot? or is it something else?

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

ok. could it just be because the tdp is too high or is something getting too hot? or is it something else?

It could be a number of things, which is why you'd start from lowering clocks to see how it responds to that test in order to eliminate them. But, having said that, I can't stress enough how you really shouldn't be needing to put your card through power virus tests unless you're testing the VRM for some reason. If you want to test general stability, you go through more real world tests like Unigine benchmarks, and games.  But if you really have to, if it responds positively to a drop in clocks, you know what it is. And like I said, it is very likely that the card is shutting off power due to excessive VRM load. Manufacturers lately do tend to guard against these tests so people don't fry their cards. It can be that stressful.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

2 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

It could be a number of things, which is why you'd start from lowering clocks to see how it responds to that test in order to eliminate them. But, having said that, I can't stress enough how you really shouldn't be needing to put your card through power virus tests unless you're testing the VRM for some reason. But if you really have to, if it responds positively to a drop in clocks, you know what it is. And like I said, it is very likely that the card is shutting off power due to excessive VRM load. Manufacturers lately do tend to guard against these tests so people don't fry their cards. It can be that stressful.

apparently the vrm on this is super good so i dunno why theyd be the problem. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

-snip- apparently the vrm on this is super good so i dunno why theyd be the problem. 

Sure it is, it's Sapphire. But not all cards are created equal. That's why there were also mentions of backing down your OC. It may just be enough load to make it drop out. An unstable OC is an unstable OC. Not to mention that no Clock past stock is ever guaranteed.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

9 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

Sure it is, it's Sapphire. But not all cards are created equal. That's why there were also mentions of backing down your OC. It may just be enough load to make it drop out. An unstable OC is an unstable OC. Not to mention that no Clock past stock is every guaranteed.

I understand what youre saying but i dont understand why the vrms are failing. im only using 172.54902 amps and they can supply 200. i also doubt theyre running at 125c or over. And the clocks are as low as 1100 sometimes as it is power throttling at 220 watts

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

I probably worded it poorly, as it may seem like I implied hardware failure. I only meant a cutoff due to predescribed conditions in the vBios etc. Other than that, it could just simply be an unstable OC for that load, simple as that. This hanging behavior is consistent with an OC dropping out. NV cards in my experience tend to recover more often rather than flat out black/brown/grey screen. AMD cards more frequently require flat out reboots.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

Just now, LooneyJuice said:

i see. ive never had to reboot since they released the crimson drivers but maybe this is it. ive just had driver failures from unstable overclocks. thanks for you help, i feel better knowing that im not ruining the hardware :P 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

1 minute ago, Nickathom said:

i see. ive never had to reboot since they released the crimson drivers but maybe this is it. ive just had driver failures from unstable overclocks. thanks for you help, i feel better knowing that im not ruining the hardware :P 

No prob. But bear in mind that different applications will exhibit different behaviors when crashing. I still get the odd brown/grey screen if my OC fails, or just a display dropout. There is no single type of failure. And generally speaking, anything that exceeds what the card is rated for will generally make the card drop out to save it, but nonetheless, I wouldn't constantly be running power virus tests unless it's a brand-new card and I'm putting it through its paces to make sure everything is in working order.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave