Windows 10 laptop reverted back to Win8. How do I go back to Win10?

Claryn

Soo...

My old laptop got the free upgrade to Windows 10. Today I used the PC recovery tool in Windows 10 to have it do a fresh install. Now it installed Windows 8, and I can't find any way to go back to Windows 10?

Thanks.

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

Is it not in the recovery tab in the settings? If not i hope you made some backups on an external drive or so. Then you could install the Backup and make a reset to clean windows!

8 minutes ago, Claryn said:

Soo...

My old laptop got the free upgrade to Windows 10. Today I used the PC recovery tool in Windows 10 to have it do a fresh install. Now it installed Windows 8, and I can't find any way to go back to Windows 10?

Thanks.

i think you have to update it to windows 10 again from 8.. check here

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

12 minutes ago, Claryn said:

Soo...

Thanks.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Hit "Download tool now" blue button, and run it once it downloaded. You'll have the option to upgrade this PC.

[edit] Nija'd by Changis :) [/edit]

To add: You can clean install with the tool as well. No need to install/recover Win8 first and then upgrade to Win10. All you need is to have your account be a Microsoft linked account, if it's not already, and you are set. your system specs and product key is linked to your account on Microosft servers. So in WIndows 10 setup, when you'll be prompted for a product key, you click on "I don't have one", and setup will resume. Once in Windows 10, and do Windows Updates, by the time it finishes everything, and you restart, your system will be activated :)

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Hit "Download tool now" blue button, and run it once it downloaded. You'll have the option to upgrade this PC.

[edit] Nija'd by Changis :) [/edit]

To add: You can clean install with the tool as well. No need to install/recover Win8 first and then upgrade to Win10. All you need is to have your account be a Microsoft linked account, if it's not already, and you are set. your system specs and product key is linked to your account on Microosft servers. So in WIndows 10 setup, when you'll be prompted for a product key, you click on "I don't have one", and setup will resume. Once in Windows 10, and do Windows Updates, by the time it finishes everything, and you restart, your system will be activated :)

Thanks. Currently in the process of updating to Windows 8.1 in order to be able to use the tool to upgrade to Windows 10. As long as the copy of Windows 10 will be activated automatically, there is no issue. 

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad