Thoughts on Mayhems X1?

I'm trying to find some coolant to use, so I'm considering the Mayhems X1 because it has the additives it needs to reduce growth in a loop. I know some of you will suggest the silver kill coil, but I'm running EK Nickel blocks so it really won't go well together. I was just wondering what kind of experiences that forum users had with the coolant, and if it's worth the $30.

8 minutes ago, OsuMasterz said:

-snip-

While I have no personal gripe with Mayhems X1 or any other Mayhems product. I would mention that there is no documentation surrounding their coolants and so these "biocides" and "anti-corrosive" agents are purely up to speculations as to what they are (is it a chemical? is it copper sulphate? who knows). Its like trying to recommend a "fast computer" with "a pretty good graphics card" with no specifications listed. 

For this reason, I would recommend EK-CryoFuel Concentrate which has at least 4 active chemicals listed, allowing me to state that indeed they have a chemically sensible biocide and anti-corrosion inhibitor that will not conflict with the Nickel or Copper blocks (and even aluminium, for that matter).

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

While I have no personal gripe with Mayhems X1 or any other Mayhems product. I would mention that there is no documentation surrounding their coolants and so these "biocides" and "anti-corrosive" agents are purely up to speculations as to what they are (is it a chemical? is it copper sulphate? who knows). Its like trying to recommend a "fast computer" with "a pretty good graphics card" with no specifications listed. 

For this reason, I would recommend EK-CryoFuel Concentrate which has at least 4 active chemicals listed, allowing me to state that indeed they have a chemically sensible biocide and anti-corrosion inhibitor that will not conflict with the Nickel or Copper blocks (and even aluminium, for that matter).

https://mayhems.co.uk/mayhems-coolant-guide/

Mayhems X1 Coolants are made from vegetable extract and are the safest and least toxic coolant on the market today. It comes in many colours to suit the needs of everyone. There is no messing around, you just pour the coolant into your systems and that is it. Mayhems X1 includes all the biocides and inhibitors you will need to protect your water cooling system and doesn’t require the user to add anything extra.

While there are no specifics, I don't know difference between the CryoFuel and the Mayhems.

4 minutes ago, OsuMasterz said:

-snip-

Mayhems X1 Coolants
Mayhems X1 Coolants are made from vegetable extract and are the safest and least toxic coolant on the market today. It comes in many colours to suit the needs of everyone. There is no messing around, you just pour the coolant into your systems and that is it. Mayhems X1 includes all the biocides and inhibitors you will need to protect your water cooling system and doesn’t require the user to add anything extra. If you would like to make your own colour Mayhems X1 is fully compatible with all Mayhems Dyes. We do recommend you change your coolant out regularly as over time the coolant will become less effective. Our recommend change out period is every 9 to 12 months.

This description is as descriptive as "This computer can do 160 fps on overwatch, as it has a great graphics card and CPU, just plug it into the power plug and that is it. It is made of conflict free material and will also save on your power bill" - Not adequate level of detail to reasonably make a call on whether it is a good coolant or not.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/EK-IM/EK-IM-3831109880135.pdf

On the other hand you can find a detailed composition of the EK-CryoFuel and I won't go and list out each individual component here, but they indeed support the manufacturers claims.

People care too little about coolants in my opinion, it is the blood of your water cooled monster, you should be aware just as you are aware of what graphics cards you are using.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

This description is as descriptive as "This computer can do 160 fps on overwatch, as it has a great graphics card and CPU, just plug it into the power plug and that is it. It is made of conflict free material and will also save on your power bill" - Not adequate level of detail to reasonably make a call on whether it is a good coolant or not.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/EK-IM/EK-IM-3831109880135.pdf

On the other hand you can find a detailed composition of the EK-CryoFuel and I won't go and list out each individual component here, but they indeed support the manufacturers claims.

People care too little about coolants in my opinion, it is the blood of your water cooled monster, you should be aware just as you are aware of what graphics cards you are using.

I know this is a very generic and repeated question, and people keep telling me to get some colored tubing or something, but is there a speed up to the clouding of clear tubing through this coolant versus something like Distilled water, even when Distilled water still clouds tubing?

Just now, OsuMasterz said:

-snip-

I don't use soft tubing so not the best person to answer this wrt to clouding of tubes. My understanding is that it usually is the dyes staining the tubes, and so if you use a clear pre-mix it should maximize the color clarity? But I do have an opinion about distilled water, but I will use an analogy to illustrate my point below:

Distilled water                                   = No toothpaste

Distilled water + additives                = Homemade toothpaste

Coolant from a reputable company  = Toothpaste

Long story short: We live in a modern world, go buy toothpaste (coolant) from a reputable company.

Before the times of good research and products, home made toothpaste was the only way to brush your teeth sensibly. Some people preferred no toothpaste and just brushing, but probably because they put something into their homebrew toothpaste that they shouldnt have, this is the big risk of homebrew - you may get it horribly wrong. Some people will get tooth cavities when they used normal toothpaste, and then decide "nothing beats home made" and go for distilled water + additives. My argument would be that is you are more careful after having an incident (or they didn't brush enough). Furthermore, regardless of whether you use toothpaste or not, if you don't take care and brush your teeth regularly, you will get cavities.

Replace cavities with "problems with your computer"

Replace brushing with "maintenance"

4 minutes ago, For Science! said:

I don't use soft tubing so not the best person to answer this wrt to clouding of tubes. My understanding is that it usually is the dyes staining the tubes, and so if you use a clear pre-mix it should maximize the color clarity? But I do have an opinion about distilled water, but I will use an analogy to illustrate my point below:

Distilled water                                   = No toothpaste

Distilled water + additives                = Homemade toothpaste

Coolant from a reputable company  = Toothpaste

Long story short: We live in a modern world, go buy toothpaste (coolant) from a reputable company.

Before the times of good research and products, home made toothpaste was the only way to brush your teeth sensibly. Some people preferred no toothpaste and just brushing, but probably because they put something into their homebrew toothpaste that they shouldnt have, this is the big risk of homebrew - you may get it horribly wrong. Some people will get tooth cavities when they used normal toothpaste, and then decide "nothing beats home made" and go for distilled water + additives. My argument would be that is you are more careful after having an incident (or they didn't brush enough). Furthermore, regardless of whether you use toothpaste or not, if you don't take care and brush your teeth regularly, you will get cavities.

Replace cavities with "problems with your computer"

Replace brushing with "maintenance"

Makes more sense now, I tried researching the impacts of these different coolants and such, but most people were saying that just Distilled water and a kill coil was the best way to go for all loops instead of these coolants, making me assume that I should stay away from most coolants and that's what clouded up tubing. Thanks for the insight. 

I can highly recommend Mayhems X1 coolant, as well as some of their other lines such as their Pastels. In the time that I have used Mayhems products I've never seen buildup of particles, growth of algae, or corrosion in my loops. 

If you use their Concentrates or Pre-mixes, you don't need any kind of added biocide or kill coil in your loop.