Possible driver issues on gtx1070

Kd4lif3
Go to solution Solved by LooneyJuice,
38 minutes ago, Kd4lif3 said:

do i turn vsync off in game now

Yes, you do. The only hassle with this business is that you'll have to go through your games and do this is you're overriding them with the NVCP.

Just got my 1070 in my rig a few weeks ago and its great. I will never be able to even think of integrated graphics again. However I have been having issues. I play a lot of gta online and arma 3 and I have had some serious graphical issues. Idk if it is tearing or what but that's what it resembles and the Fps is unstable. Vsync fixes it but I feel like I am limiting the card especially since I am getting a 144hz monitor soon. Also when I am driving out of los santos in online I get some strange frame drops. It stutters, drops from 60 (vsync) to 50 fps, 40, then sometimes locking at 30 fps before recovering. The instability continues in the country until I return to the city. This is on vsync which I have on to fix other issues so idk what to do. Does anyone know what's wrong. I have all my settings maxed with a few exceptions with anti aliasing. I have. The nvidia game ready drivers and whatever asus deamed neaicary. I also have issues holding 60 fps (uncapped) on minecraft with some heavy shaders. The system is on a z170 and 6600k at 4.7ghz. The gpu memory never seams to pass 4gb so that's not an issue. Idk what els. If I think of something imm missing I'll comment it. Thanks

Edit: the card is a strix 1070 oc 

Set Vsync to fast, that'll let your GPU surpass the refresh rate of your monitor. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Set Vsync to fast, that'll let your GPU surpass the refresh rate of your monitor. 

What will that fix though. It will give me higher fps but it won't fix the instability in gta. Also I don't really want to use vsync so do you know why I am having issues without it ( it's beyond some tearing)

Just now, Kd4lif3 said:

What will that fix though. It will give me higher fps but it won't fix the instability in gta. Also I don't really want to use vsync so do you know why I am having issues without it ( it's beyond some tearing)

It will let your GPU run at full speed, so when it drops frames, they'll drop from 90 to 60 vs 60 to 30. And why don't you want to use Vsync? 

Also, is your monitor good, and the cable is fine? I'd try a different monitor or cable. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

46 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

It will let your GPU run at full speed, so when it drops frames, they'll drop from 90 to 60 vs 60 to 30. And why don't you want to use Vsync? 

Also, is your monitor good, and the cable is fine? I'd try a different monitor or cable. 

Ok I see. But I still feel like it is a patch rather than a fix. I don't want vsync becaise I am getting a 144hz monitor and I want to fully utilize the refresh rate. Also the monitor won't have gsync, hence why I want the root problem fixed.

Just now, Kd4lif3 said:

Ok I see. But I still feel like it is a patch rather than a fix. I don't want vsync becaise I am getting a 144hz monitor and I want to fully utilize the refresh rate. Also the monitor won't have gsync, hence why I want the root problem fixed.

It'll run at 144fps with V-Sync set to Fast. V-Sync is made to be an alternative to G-Sync, just it works with all monitors. It removes most screen tearing, so you should use it anyways. 

Main PC 

Get an i7 8700k when they come out, it will let your gpu get to its absolute max

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

47 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Get an i7 8700k when they come out, it will let your gpu get to its absolute max

lol is it relay nesicary. The i5 isn't a bottleneck, especially with a 4.7 over clock and more if I need it

53 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

It'll run at 144fps with V-Sync set to Fast. V-Sync is made to be an alternative to G-Sync, just it works with all monitors. It removes most screen tearing, so you should use it anyways. 

Ok I see. Idk if all my games will have fast vsync tho. 

Just now, Kd4lif3 said:

Ok I see. Idk if all my games will have fast vsync tho. 

It's a setting in Nvidia control panel, not in the game. 

Main PC 

If you're in any doubt about driver issues simply use DDU to completely nuke your driver install and start from scratch (DDU over yonder: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/ ). If you appear to be having the same issues, you could always roll back to an older driver package, they are listed after searching here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

If all else fails, make sure taxing background applications aren't running (overly aggressive AV software etc), set a per-game profile in NV Control Panel with "Power Management" set to "Prefer Max Performance" to eliminate throttling under low load situations. Shouldn't do all that much, but I think it's a pretty good idea to generally do that for games.

Additionally, you have mentioned 2 games that can be very temperamental at times. GTAV is generally alright offline, but GTAO has a bit more variability. ARMA 3 on the other hand has no chill, and no baseline framerate whatsoever. It depends on the number of assets on the screen and whatever the game wants to do. Doesn't matter if you're running SLI 1080ti with a 7900X at 4.9, it will find a place to drop the framerate. The best you can do is either unlock your framerate and use software to cap your framerate (like MSI Afterburner) or something like @Zando Bob mentioned and use Fast Sync to eliminate the stutters from halving your framerate when the game can't maintain the target framerate. Although one caveat is that Fast Sync should only be tested on a per-game basis because I've encountered instances where it can cause some stutters, but generally, it's some pretty cool tech. 

And no, for 99.5% of situations, you don't need a CPU upgrade, you should be totally fine. GTAV may occasionally kiss the ceiling of an i5, but newer ones should be alright generally. ARMA 3 on the other hand is... Well, ARMA 3. I love the game, and it got better post-64bit, but man, it really doesn't give a crap about specs.

Edited for clarity

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

1 hour ago, LooneyJuice said:

If you're in any doubt about driver issues simply use DDU to completely nuke your driver install and start from scratch (DDU over yonder: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/ ). If you appear to be having the same issues, you could always roll back to an older driver package, they are listed after searching here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

If all else fails, make sure taxing background applications aren't running (overly aggressive AV software etc), set a per-game profile in NV Control Panel with "Power Management" set to "Prefer Max Performance" to eliminate throttling under low load situations. Shouldn't do all that much, but I think it's a pretty good idea to generally do that for games.

Additionally, you have mentioned 2 games that can be very temperamental at times. GTAV is generally alright offline, but GTAO has a bit more variability. ARMA 3 on the other hand has no chill, and no baseline framerate whatsoever. It depends on the number of assets on the screen and whatever the game wants to do. Doesn't matter if you're running SLI 1080ti with a 7900X at 4.9, it will find a place to drop the framerate. The best you can do is either unlock your framerate and use software to cap your framerate (like MSI Afterburner) or something like @Zando Bob mentioned and use Fast Sync to eliminate the stutters from halving your framerate when the game can't maintain the target framerate. Although one caveat is that Fast Sync should only be tested on a per-game basis because I've encountered instances where it can cause some stutters, but generally, it's some pretty cool tech. 

And no, for 99.5% of situations, you don't need a CPU upgrade, you should be totally fine. GTAV may occasionally kiss the ceiling of an i5, but newer ones should be alright generally. ARMA 3 on the other hand is... Well, ARMA 3. I love the game, and it got better post-64bit, but man, it really doesn't give a crap about specs.

Edited for clarity

ok where do i get the control panel. I have geforce experience but i cant find a separate download for the control panel.

2 minutes ago, Kd4lif3 said:

ok where do i get the control panel. I have geforce experience but i cant find a separate download for the control panel.

Right click on your desktop and click on "Nvidia Control Panel"

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

6 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

right... i knew that

12 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

38 minutes ago, Kd4lif3 said:

Yes, you do. The only hassle with this business is that you'll have to go through your games and do this is you're overriding them with the NVCP.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave