New components won't turn on.

Go to solution Solved by jamesgregson,

Replaced the motherboard; now works fine!

New build: crosshair vi hero, r5 1600x, hyper 212 evo, crucial elite ddr4 ram (2×8gb), xfx rx 480 8gb, rm550x.

When I turn on power supply, the board lights up, cpu ready light is green, no q-codes and the start button glows red.

When I press the start button however, nothing happens. I have tried to short the power connector for the front panel in case the on board start button is somehow faulty but this doesn't work either.

All of the components have worked in my previous build except for the cpu and motherboard which are brand new.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help get something to happen!

10 minutes ago, jamesgregson said:

New build: crosshair vi hero, r5 1600x, hyper 212 evo, crucial elite ddr4 ram (2×8gb), xfx rx 480 8gb, rm550x.

When I turn on power supply, the board lights up, cpu ready light is green, no q-codes and the start button glows red.

When I press the start button however, nothing happens. I have tried to short the power connector for the front panel in case the on board start button is somehow faulty but this doesn't work either.

All of the components have worked in my previous build except for the cpu and motherboard which are brand new.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help get something to happen!

are you sure you have put the front panel connectors into the correct slots? i did this to other day xD put the pins in the wrong slot.

4 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

are you sure you have put the front panel connectors into the correct slots? i did this to other day xD put the pins in the wrong slot.

I wish that was the problem! I have it out on the box it came in at the moment, without front panel connected. Neither the start button on the motherboard or shorting out the front panel connector seems to work.

Just now, jamesgregson said:

I wish that was the problem! I have it out on the box it came in at the moment, without front panel connected. Neither the start button on the motherboard nor shorting out the front panel connector seems to work.

you might wanna try put it in the case, as daft as it sounds, maybe the start button works in conjunction with the front panel start.

22 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

you might wanna try put it in the case, as daft as it sounds, maybe the start button works in conjunction with the front panel start.

Still doesn't work with the front panel now connected (both motherboard start and case button don't work).

2 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Pictures?

Which would you prefer, in or out of the case?

Whichever way is easiest to see how you have everything connected.  Also, since this is basically the initial start of the system, are you letting it sit for at least 30 seconds after you press the power button?  My Ryzen system took about 20-30 seconds to actually show post the first time I turned it on.

11 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Whichever way is easiest to see how you have everything connected.  Also, since this is basically the initial start of the system, are you letting it sit for at least 30 seconds after you press the power button?  My Ryzen system took about 20-30 seconds to actually show post the first time I turned it on.

I have 24pin, 8pin cpu, cpu fan and 6+2pin pcie connected, when I turn on the power supply, the leds on the board light up (including cpu ready at the top right), but does not power on with the start button.

20170716_121206.jpg

20170716_121632.jpg

16 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

With regards to the long wait for first post, did the fans spin during the wait as I havent even managed to get the cpu fan to spin yet?

So...other than those status LEDs indicating ready to start, does anything else show signs of life when this unit is powered since nothing happens with the power button or start button directly on the motherboard?

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

So...other than those status LEDs indicating ready to start, does anything else show signs of life when this unit is powered since nothing happens with the power button or start button directly on the motherboard?

Nope, no blue led on gpu that was on when my previous system was on. The only other light on other than rgb stuff, start button and cpu ready, is the reset button on the back.

15002044283671699752523.jpg

So...in your old system, did the GPU LED light up when it was initially turned on, or after the motherboard had finished posting?

I think that lit LED is the ASUS flashback, not reset.

If the PSU had not been used in your prior system, I almost would want to say it's the PSU, but the failure to start or run fans even makes me want to say motherboard since it's the new factor here.

I can't pull up the manual where I'm at so you may want to check and confirm.

3 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

So...in your old system, did the GPU LED light up when it was initially turned on, or after the motherboard had finished posting?

I think that lit LED is the ASUS flashback, not reset.

If the PSU had not been used in your prior system, I almost would want to say it's the PSU, but the failure to start or run fans even makes me want to say motherboard since it's the new factor here.

I can't pull up the manual where I'm at so you may want to check and confirm.

Not sure about when the led for the gpu came on, probably after post but can't be certain. I'm going to get out my old motherboard and cpu to check that the power supply is still fine and see if I can find out when the gpu light comes on.

The manual says that the button below is the flashback button.

15002051279391635833202.jpg

I almost want to say that since you've tried everything else besides a different PSU (even though it worked in the last system), why not try resetting the BIOS if you haven't already.  Maybe it's crapping its microcode on startup and never making it out of its startup sequence to the point where it starts video...but if it was powering things correctly you should see fans start up.  At the very least the CPU fan.  You could also try a BIOS flashback, maybe the board came with a corrupt BIOS.  Either way, if you've got everything plugged in correctly and the PSU's good, then something's screwy with that board.

7 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

I almost want to say that since you've tried everything else besides a different PSU (even though it worked in the last system), why not try resetting the BIOS if you haven't already.  Maybe it's crapping its microcode on startup and never making it out of its startup sequence to the point where it starts video...but if it was powering things correctly you should see fans start up.  At the very least the CPU fan.  You could also try a BIOS flashback, maybe the board came with a corrupt BIOS.  Either way, if you've got everything plugged in correctly and the PSU's good, then something's screwy with that board.

Everything functions perfectly with my old board and cpu (ie ram, psu and gpu all fine) so the only problem must be with the new motherboard or cpu, I will try to flash the bios again, but when I tried it before nothing happened at all (manual says the bios reflash button should flash). Any ideas on how I could be doing it wrong? Only my second board/bios flash, so not very competent with them ?. Also do you know if there is any way to tell if it is a bad cpu rather than motherboard? (Not sure how much info the cpu ready led actually gives you)

15002057501981565502491.jpg

1500205773771255365262.jpg

31 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Gpu led comes on immediately after shorting the power pins, so I think it is purely an indicator that it has power, but this doesn't come on at all with new board