PC Build

hershey97

So, a little back story. I want a second PC so I can have my HTC Vive in another room. So I am going to build a new pc, so I thought I might upgrade my main PC and then use my current PC as my VR PC. I have looked into a build and I just want someone to check over it and tell me if I'm missing anything or if I can improve it slightly for the price. This is my first time building a PC myself. My current computer isn't a pre-built computer, its a computer built by a company.

The build is here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/tscXQV

I will be putting my current Nvidia 1080 card in this computer and then the new 1070 in my old computer for VR. I have picked the Ryzen 7 because this computer won't only be for gaming.

I am right by saying a 1070 will be fast enough for VR? I want it for Fallout VR and such games when they come out. Also, would a 750W power supply be okay if I were to SLI bridge another 1080 in the future?

3 minutes ago, hershey97 said:

So, a little back story. I want a second PC so I can have my HTC Vive in another room. So I am going to build a new pc, so I thought I might upgrade my main PC and then use my current PC as my VR PC. I have looked into a build and I just want someone to check over it and tell me if I'm missing anything or if I can improve it slightly for the price. This is my first time building a PC myself. My current computer isn't a pre-built computer, its a computer built by a company.

I will be putting my current Nvidia 1080 card in this computer and then the new 1070 in my old computer for VR. I have picked the Ryzen 7 because this computer won't only be for gaming.

I am right by saying a 1070 will be fast enough for VR? I want it for Fallout VR and such games when they come out. Also, would a 750W power supply be okay if I were to SLI bridge another 1080 in the future?

DEFINITELY would put in ssd in there for a boot drive and for things other than games but other than that looks great

Just now, MancorJ said:

DEFINITELY would put in ssd in there for a boot drive and for things other than games but other than that looks great

Oh yeah shit haha, I forgot to say I already have an ssd ready for it haha.

SLI isnt that great value, I assume you mean another 1070 (Not 1080). You could just save money with the 1700 as it can still OC to the 1800x, no real need to AIO as Ryzen isnt that thermal limited (Stock cooler is fine to OC or cheaper air, up to you)

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

4 minutes ago, hershey97 said:

Unless you care about looks that much, (and i'm assuming you do since you have RGB ram lol) you could use the RGB stock cooler, get a 1700, and a cheaper motherboard for the same performance but also be able to get a 1080ti

also, 750watts can power 1080 sli if you're wondering

Don't get the 1800x, get a 1700 instead. Use the money on an ssd or something. Also, be aware that while that case looks great, the airflow is pretty bad. Other than that I don't have much to say.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

SLI isnt that great value, I assume you mean another 1070 (Not 1080). You could just save money with the 1700 as it can still OC to the 1800x, no real need to AIO as Ryzen isnt that thermal limited (Stock cooler is fine to OC or cheaper air, up to you)

That helps a lot, thank you. 

3 minutes ago, Anjelllo said:

Unless you care about looks that much, (and i'm assuming you do since you have RGB ram lol) you could use the RGB stock cooler, get a 1700, and a cheaper motherboard for the same performance but also be able to get a 1080ti

also, 750watts can power 1080 sli if you're wondering

Yeah I want it to look nice, gotta put RGBs on everything right? Also what motherboard would you suggest? I want one that supports SLI and its the cheapest one I could find. 

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Don't get the 1800x, get a 1700 instead. Use the money on an ssd or something. Also, be aware that while that case looks great, the airflow is pretty bad. Other than that I don't have much to say.

Aw that sucks, what nice looking case would you suggest with good airflow?

2 minutes ago, hershey97 said:

That helps a lot, thank you. 

Yeah I want it to look nice, gotta put RGBs on everything right? Also what motherboard would you suggest? I want one that supports SLI and its the cheapest one I could find. 

Sli is more trouble than it's worth, believe me, just find a b350 board that suits your color fancy

13 hours ago, hershey97 said:

Aw that sucks, what nice looking case would you suggest with good airflow?

You could take a look at the corsair 460x and 570x though they're a bit more rgb oriented. I believe corsair has the 600c which is nice though it is an upside down case. The be quiet dark rock pro 900 also looks nice and I think there's a tempered glass option.

It really does suck though that the evolv has sucky airflow :/. It looks so nice... I hope phanteks comes out with a new version with better airflow.

^Jay pointing out the bad airlflow of the evolv

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb