Upgrade my CPU or System

Hi guys, I have the budget to upgrade my system to an i5 4690/k or i7 4790 or to the new 7th gen processor but the pentium + cheap motherboard + 8GB DDR4 then upgrade CPU later.

My parts now are:

Intel G3240

Asus H81M-K

Kingston HyperX 2x4GB DDR3 1600

Sapphire R7-265 Dual X

Kingston SSD Now 120GB

FSP Aurum Gold 600W

All parts are from 2014

I mainly play with games like GTA V, DOTA 2, Skyrim. Also I use my PC for Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Google Sketch up!

THANKS!!

R5 1400?

Edit

No get a new GPU, the one you have is pretty bad 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

If you need to upgrade that badly right now, grab some second hand I5 or I7 without a K, you won't be able to make use of that K CPUs with your mobo. 

Then safe some bucks and go for new board, cpu, ram later.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

R5 1400?

Edit

No get a new GPU, the one you have is pretty bad 

THANKS FOR REPLYING! I know but when i play games my cpu is always at 100 and my gpu is mostly 70-80.

1 minute ago, Anghammarad said:

If you need to upgrade that badly right now, grab some second hand I5 or I7 without a K, you won't be able to make use of that K CPUs with your mobo. 

Then safe some bucks and go for new board, cpu, ram later.

Not in a hurry but kinda, I was just thinking of upgrading my system or getting a new platform. I guess my main question is is it okay to still upgrade my Haswell PC.

THANKS FOR REPLYING!!

Due to not having a Z board which will grant you some bonus power due to overclocking an K cpu, staying with it well... if you put in an I5 or I7 yes you will certainly have 1-3 years left in that machine. 

The Intel CPUs haven't gained that much more "wumms" from generation to generation. 

I personally wait on coffeelake, doe to me being a cappuccino junky =) then I think about replacing my Z77 system, but even then I won't need to swap it out, it is still quite good.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Yea as others have said, you can't overclock with that mobo so not point in getting a K processor unless you plan on upgrading the mobo too.

For the record, I saw no difference in games upgrading from an i5 4690k to an i7 4790k.

That was a stupid upgrade...

but I was running the i5 OCed to 4.0ghz and am now running the i7 not OCed at 4.0 to 4.4 max turbo

so maybe you would see a difference between non-K processors.

and yea... upgrading your GPU makes the biggest difference in gaming.

so I'd say get a cheap used i5 4690 or i7 4790 and use the money you save on a decent GPU.

50 minutes ago, martheus25 said:

THANKS FOR REPLYING! I know but when i play games my cpu is always at 100 and my gpu is mostly 70-80.

Not in a hurry but kinda, I was just thinking of upgrading my system or getting a new platform. I guess my main question is is it okay to still upgrade my Haswell PC.

THANKS FOR REPLYING!!

A GPU upgrade will give you more FPS then a CPU one with those specs. 

4th gen IPC is still pretty good. 

41 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Yea as others have said, you can't overclock with that mobo so not point in getting a K processor unless you plan on upgrading the mobo too.

For the record, I saw no difference in games upgrading from an i5 4690k to an i7 4790k.

That was a stupid upgrade...

but I was running the i5 OCed to 4.0ghz and am now running the i7 not OCed at 4.0 to 4.4 max turbo

so maybe you would see a difference between non-K processors.

and yea... upgrading your GPU makes the biggest difference in gaming.

so I'd say get a cheap used i5 4690 or i7 4790 and use the money you save on a decent GPU.

I saw a nice boost(in a few titles)  from I5 4690K @ 4.7GHz to stock I7 4790K lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

37 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

A GPU upgrade will give you more FPS then a CPU one with those specs. 

4th gen IPC is still pretty good. 

I saw a nice boost(in a few titles)  from I5 4690K @ 4.7GHz to stock I7 4790K lol

That's a surprise.

I'm even running heavy VR titles and didn't notice much of a difference..

but hey a lot of VR titles don't have much hyperthreading support so that could play into why.

I bought it thinking it would do away with the stutter in obduction.

Turns out that was just the game.

I figured that out when I noticed that the stutter happens only when you walk over specific areas on the map.

Very strange issue in a game.

Still can't figure out what the hell causes that.

Still the best game I've ever played though.

It was like Myst on steroids :P

Hey, I know exactly why you had improvements. You were running a pretty heavy overclock for an I5 4690k

You probably were thermal throttling there because of the temps.

Did you ever fire up aida64 without a stress test and monitor the graphs while gaming?

Just now, stateofpsychosis said:

That's a surprise.

I'm even running heavy VR titles and didn't notice much of a difference..

but hey a lot of VR titles don't have much hyperthreading support so that could play into why.

I bought it thinking it would do away with the stutter in obduction.

Turns out that was just the game.

I figured that out when I noticed that the stutter happens only when you walk over specific areas on the map.

Very strange issue in a game.

Still can't figure out what the hell causes that.

Still the best game I've ever played though.

I was like Myst on steroids :P

Sounds sweet. Anyway I tend to play mainly esports games and titles that crush your CPU like black dessert online so I'm not too surprised. BDO went from unplayable at 1440p to pretty much fine lol

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Hey, I know exactly why you had improvements. You were running a pretty heavy overclock for an I5 4690k

You probably were thermal throttling there because of the temps.

Did you ever fire up aida64 without a stress test and monitor the graphs while gaming?

No thermal throttle. Would never run an OC that did. Cooled by an NH-D14 so it was fine at 80C under max load. I dropped 700mhz for 4 more threads and that was just what some of the games I played wanted lol 

Builds:

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

No thermal throttle. Would never run an OC that did. Cooled by an NH-D14 so it was fine at 80C under max load. I dropped 700mhz for 4 more threads and that was just what some of the games I played wanted lol 

Ah I getcha. I don't play many CPU heavy games I guess. All depends on what you're playing.