Switching to HyperX Cloud 2.

Microsoft Master

I'm about to switch from my wonderful, but out of date Turtle Beach Ear force sevens, To Hyper X cloud 2's Would you recommend the Cloud 2's, or any other Hyper X headset under $150.

11 minutes ago, Microsoft Master said:

I'm about to switch from my wonderful, but out of date Turtle Beach Ear force sevens, To Hyper X cloud 2's Would you recommend the Cloud 2's, or any other Hyper X headset under $150.

The original clouds are probably better headsets overall, but neither is as impressive of a value now a days with either a vmoda boom-pro or modmic + your favorite 100 dollar headphone being a better value.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

The original clouds are probably better headsets overall, but neither is as impressive of a value now a days with either a vmoda boom-pro or modmic + your favorite 100 dollar headphone being a better value.

I need a cross platform compatibilty for pc, and Xbox.

I own the Cloud II's and they are amazing - I've tried the original clouds, and personally prefer the second rendition, although there isn't too much difference between them.

I would definitely recommend them! One thing I'd recommend you to get alongside with them is a headset to headphone adapter and an extender cable. I've found that the USB box for the headphones is susceptible to static from the computer. the adapter will allow you to connect the headphones directly to the computer.

Just now, Microsoft Master said:

I need a cross platform compatibilty for pc, and Xbox.

And the boompro doesn't work with xbox (because it does)?!? You just need an easy to drive headphone, which for 100 dollars shouldn't be a big deal.

if you don't mind open back the 558+mic is always a good cheap combo for about the price of a Cloud II.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

And the boompro doesn't work with xbox (because it does)?!? You just need an easy to drive headphone, which for 100 dollars shouldn't be a big deal.

if you don't mind open back the 558+mic is always a good cheap combo for about the price of a Cloud II.

Whatever i don't want my modmic falling off when im earaping 8 year olds playing minecraft lol.

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

But after this  most likely will get a modmic, or a senhiser.

1 minute ago, Microsoft Master said:

Whatever i don't want my modmic falling off when im earaping 8 year olds playing minecraft lol.

http://v-moda.com/boompro-microphone/

Not going to fall off...

But yeah, get what you'd like really.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

cloud 1 or cloud pro or core, the first version has different names on amazon, I got a second pair on prime day for 50usd. For a closed headset at that price it is hard to beat. I prefer the cloud 1 due to not liking the usb dongle and the 1st version comes with extension so you can plug into motherboard and unplug to use with controller.  The clouds are extremly comfortable, but I still upgraded with brainwavz hm5 pads to take it to the next lvl.

If your envirnoment allows you to use open headphones I really like the phillips shp9500+boompro and they sound better for music and are more "audiophile".

Specs: Amd 1700x | NH-u12s | Asus crosshair hero vi | 2x8g Gskill flare x | Zotac 1080 | Samsung 960 EVO | Seasonic ssr-750GD | Thermaltake core x5 |

10 minutes ago, xtroria said:

HD558 and modmic would be much better

also a viable option, as long as you go with uh modmic 4, modmic 5 is a little overpriced. Using amazon warehouse deals or just amazon return policy you can try both to see which sound sig you prefer. 

Specs: Amd 1700x | NH-u12s | Asus crosshair hero vi | 2x8g Gskill flare x | Zotac 1080 | Samsung 960 EVO | Seasonic ssr-750GD | Thermaltake core x5 |

8 hours ago, doits said:

also a viable option, as long as you go with uh modmic 4, modmic 5 is a little overpriced. Using amazon warehouse deals or just amazon return policy you can try both to see which sound sig you prefer. 

I'm just looking for a pair of gaming headphones and I'm not to comftorable with mod mic, because i haven't looked into them yet.

The cloud 1 or cloud pro or cloud core, I saw different names on amazon; the version without usb dongle go for around 60usd are work on console/pc since using 3.5mm connection. They are closed and no separate mic cable to deal with.  If your environment allows it(not loud and don't mind sound leak) the phillips shp9500+vmoda boompro is a noticable upgrade or the audio technica ath-m40x+https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Universal-Sennheiser-Audio-Technica-200CM-Black/dp/B01IRCRCL2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499967169&sr=8-2&keywords=boompro%2Bmic&th=1   it is a simple twist lock into place and you can use stock cable for mobile listening or whatever. 

The boompro mic is a common recommendation over the modmic due to single cable and simple installation, you only sacrifice mic audio quality(compared to modmic). You can find youtube videos with recorded audio. 

If you don't want to mess with it, just go with cloud 1 and maybe throw on brainwavz hm5 pads so you never want to take them off.

@Tacanacyexcellent detailed post. I forgot about the status audio cb-1, with a boompro that is another good closed headset. Op seems to want a closed headset and doesn't want a modmic due to mounting solution(3m sticky pad) and two cables. I think spending 100usd on headphones +boompro is a giant upgrade over a gaming headset but for 60usd total the cloud 1 is "good enough" for simple game audio on console, is easy to drive, and you don't have to install boompro(though it is ezpz) when "earaping 8 year olds playing minecraft lol". The non gaming headphones are also usable in public or casual listening so it depends on what you value.  Up to op what he wants to spend money on.

5 minutes ago, doits said:

@Tacanacyexcellent detailed post. I forgot about the status audio cb-1, with a boompro that is another good closed headset. Op seems to want a closed headset and doesn't want a modmic due to mounting solution(3m sticky pad) and two cables. I think spending 100usd on headphones +boompro is a giant upgrade over a gaming headset but for 60usd total the cloud 1 is "good enough" for simple game audio on console, is easy to drive, and you don't have to install boompro(though it is ezpz) when "earaping 8 year olds playing minecraft lol". The non gaming headphones are also usable in public or casual listening so it depends on what you value.  Up to op what he wants to spend money on.

Thanks. Yes, the BoomPro would be better in that regard, plus it has a volume control. 

2 hours ago, Tacanacy said:

I strongly recommend Audio-Technica ATH-AD700x, Philips SHP9500 and Superlux HD668B over HyperX Cloud / Cloud II / CloudX. For closed-back, I recommend AKG K52. Add an Antlion ModMic or a V-MODA BoomPro mic and you have a headset.

AD700x has a very big soundstage, great imaging, separation, clarity and detail retrieval, and good tone quality. It's a bright headphone with forward mids and recessed bass. It's open-back, over-ear, very lightweight and has a durable build.

SHP9500 has a big soundstage, good imaging, separation and detail retrieval, and very good clarity and tone quality. It has a balanced sound signature. It's open-back, over-ear, lightweight and has a durable build and a detachable cable.
HD668B has a very big soundstage, very good imaging, separation and detail retrieval, good clarity, and decent tone quality. It's a bright headphone, and some people say it has boosted bass, but to me, it has a flat bass frequency response. It's open-back, over-ear, very lightweight and has a sturdy build and a detachable cable. I recommend replacing the earpads with velour pads from HiFiMAN or Cosmos. I don't use pleather, so I didn't test this, but some people claim velour makes the soundstage bigger because the sound isn't trapped inside the cups as much.

K52 has a big soundstage, good imaging, clarity, detail retrieval and tone quality, and decent separation. The bass can sound slightly distorted in explosions and other big and loud sounds. It's over-ear, very lightweight and has a durable build.

Open-back / semi-open-back headphones have cups with perforations/grills that allow outside sound to freely pass in and sound from the drivers to freely pass out. How loud you hear outside sound and how loud people around you hear the sound emanating from the headphones depend on your volume, of course. The benefit to open-back is generally a big soundstage. Closed-back headphones have cups with solid shells that largely isolate sound from passing in and out.

Soundstage is perceived space and environment of sound. It determines whether the sound is perceived to be coming from inside your head or beyond the drivers and around you. It can be compared to virtual surround sound; both attempt to produce the same spacious, three-dimensional effect. VSS can sound more ambient and immersive, which will depend on the processor (CMSS-3D, Dolby, SBX, etc.) The reason why stereo should be considered over VSS is that VSS degrades the sound quality and diminishes detailing due to compression from digital processing. You might also experience less accurate imaging and separation. Imaging determines how accurately sounds/objects are positioned. Imaging is inherent to the audio content, so if the game is recorded or mixed poorly, a headphone with good imaging won’t improve the original source. Separation is separating individual sounds from a range of sounds. Good separation properties should make it easy to filter out or discern overlapping sounds from other sounds and track them.

Some alternatives:

• Audio-Technica ATH-AD500x (open-back)
  • Samson SR850 (semi-open-back)
  • Sennheiser HD558 (open-back)
  • Status Audio CB-1 (closed-back)
  • Status Audio OB-1 (open-back)
  • Superlux HD-681 EVO (semi-open-back)

I'm not looking to invest in a professional headset just yet, and i said under $150.

12 minutes ago, Microsoft Master said:

I'm not looking to invest in a professional headset just yet, and i said under $150.

I'm giving you a much better performance-price ratio. With a ModMic 4.0 with a mute button, the total price is under $150 on Amazon or the manufacturer's website, which are general prices I go by. AD700x is approximately $3 over budget including a ModMic. You should just go with Philips SHP9500 with a V-MODA BoomPro. It's a very safe choice without an extra cable from the mic.

I'm also voting up on Cloud II's I've got a few sennhieser sets and uses a lot of very high end models in studio and i still enjoy gaming on the Cloud's. They really are very deserving of the top spot and why people on here really recommend them a lot 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

19 minutes ago, Tacanacy said:

I'm giving you a much better performance-price ratio. With a ModMic 4.0 with a mute button, the total price is under $150 on Amazon or the manufacturer's website, which are general prices I go by. AD700x is approximately $3 over budget including a ModMic. You should just go with Philips SHP9500 with a V-MODA BoomPro. It's a very safe choice without an extra cable from the mic.

I don't want a mod mic omg.

10 minutes ago, Microsoft Master said:

I don't want a mod mic omg.

So edit your original post to add to necessary info, then. It's fucking late where I am and I'm tired, so I just don't bother to read every comment in every thread I visit. I brought the ModMic up again because this is the only setup that exceeds your budget. Other setups are way under your budget. I've recommended headphones that are compatible with the V-MODA BoomPro mic.

Sorry for wasting your time just i'm not familiar with mod mic, and audio technia, so once i learn more about them they may be my potential candidates in the future.