GTX 980 Low Frames

6 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

In that case, I wouldn't really hold my breath for any improvements in CS:GO. For some reason or another, it's CS:GO related. 

I suspect it might just be. Seems much more of a downgrade. I'll try reinstalling the game to see if anything changes. 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

6 minutes ago, jnmbhj said:

I suspect it might just be. Seems much more of a downgrade. I'll try reinstalling the game to see if anything changes. 

I will be honest, this is totally after the fact, and rather pointless, but had I been in your shoes, I'd have seriously considered the move. I don't want to lay on any guilt trips, I swear, but for one your 390 had 8 gigs of VRAM, and even though they're not OC beasts, they have enough headroom to make up some of the difference. The VRAM thing will be a problem eventually as AAA games (if you're mostly playing them) continue to dump stupidly uncompressed assets onto your VRAM. Did you also get rid of the 390, or did you sell it?

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

1 minute ago, LooneyJuice said:

I will be honest, this is totally after the fact, and rather pointless, but had I been in your shoes, I'd have seriously considered the move. I don't want to lay on any guilt trips, I swear, but for one your 390 had 8 gigs of VRAM, and even though they're not OC beasts, they have enough headroom to make up some of the difference. The VRAM thing will be a problem eventually as AAA games (if you're playing them) continue to dump stupidly uncompressed assets onto your VRAM. Did you also get rid of the 390, or did you sell it?

I sold the r9 390 during the hype. But there was more reasons like it got really hot and I figured that I wasn't using all the V-Ram and didn't want to Crossfire two r9 390s. Though I did loose the FreeSync Feature. 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

9 minutes ago, jnmbhj said:

I sold the r9 390 during the hype. But there was more reasons like it got really hot and I figured that I wasn't using all the V-Ram and didn't want to Crossfire two r9 390s. Though I did loose the FreeSync Feature. 

I understand. Well, I wouldn't recommend multi-gpu regardless of platform (SLI/Xfire) unless you carefully vet your games if that's what your plan is. Also, AFAIK, the MSI 390s could maintain decent temps on custom fan profiles (the stock ones are a bit noise-biased), and even if they got a little toasty, it was nothing the GPU couldn't handle unless you're talking high 80s. But again, this is after the fact, was just wondering what the reasoning behind the swap was.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

Just now, LooneyJuice said:

I understand. Well, I wouldn't recommend multi-gpu regardless of platform (SLI/Xfire) unless you carefully vet your games if that's what your plan is. Also, AFAIK, the MSI 390s could maintain decent temps on custom fan profiles (the stock ones are a bit noise-biased), and even if they got a little toasty, it was nothing the GPU couldn't handle. But again, this is after the fact, was just wondering what the reasoning behind the swap was.

The real reason was because of the hype and found I could get a easy upgrade and make a bit. I sold my r9 390 for $420 ($380 after fees) and got a second hand Gtx 980 for $240 ($260 after tax) 

I regret waiting too long because I could have gotten a second hand GTX 1080 founders editon for $425. But when I visited the store the second time it was gone and got the 980.  (this was CEX btw) 

1 minute ago, jnmbhj said:

The real reason was because of the hype and found I could get a easy upgrade and make a bit. I sold my r9 390 for $420 ($380 after fees) and got a second hand Gtx 980 for $240 ($260 after tax) 

I regret waiting too long because I could have gotten a second hand GTX 1080 founders editon for $425. But when I visited the store the second time it was gone and got the 980.  (this was CEX btw) 

That was indeed a good deal on the 390, damn. Sucks about the 1080 though. At any rate, the 980 for most titles is a bit faster, so not all is lost. It's just pesky old CS:GO that's the issue it seems.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave