Want to ask about buying graphic card these days

b3ndix
Go to solution Solved by loculus,

Volta should be getting a number of architectural changes and also a process node improvement (half node, I guess, likely with modest benefit as it's just a mature 16 nm -> 12 nm). But I don't think these are necessarily geared to gaming performance improvements. They're likely to launch on the high end first, and Nvidia doesn't have cause to push aggressively on pricing. Even if there's a big improvement, it will likely be priced accordingly.

btw GTX 1060 3GB is selling for around $220, something like 10% above launch pricing but not unreasonable. If you already had a GTX 1050 Ti, this is significantly better, but regardless it may be worth waiting.

I was looking for gtx 1060 6gb lately, even almost pre ordered one. But i heard rumor about nvidia volta release in end of the year. What should i do? Buy gtx 1060 or wait for nvidia volta(20-series)?

1 more question, what graphic card will i get in the future with my current money? Around 300ish bucks

i think getting a 1060 will be a good bet. are you playing at 1080p60? 

the closest GPU gen release is AMD Vega, but it's more for high-end market. 

Well right now you can't buy a GTX 1060 even if you wanted to because they are sold out everywhere and have crazy mark ups because of mining, but Volta will not release until next year. And the card that you would get would be the GTX 1160, which I would expect to be somewhere in between a 1070 and 1080

6 minutes ago, b3ndix said:

I was looking for gtx 1060 6gb lately, even almost pre ordered one. But i heard rumor about nvidia volta release in end of the year. What should i do? Buy gtx 1060 or wait for nvidia volta(20-series)?

1 more question, what graphic card will i get in the future with my current money? Around 300ish bucks

probably a 1050ti since the 1060 tend to be sold out or overpriced or just wait

17 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

i think getting a 1060 will be a good bet. are you playing at 1080p60? 

the closest GPU gen release is AMD Vega, but it's more for high-end market. 

Yes i'm playing at 1080p60, but i'm afraid spending 300 bucks on 1 year old architecture:( do you think when the next gen nvidia gpu will release?

16 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

probably a 1050ti since the 1060 tend to be sold out or overpriced or just wait

Already had 1050ti in the past lol

1 minute ago, b3ndix said:

Already had 1050ti in the past lol

than probably just wait then upgrading from a 1050ti to a 1060 is kinda pointless especially since their overpriced atm

19 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Well right now you can't buy a GTX 1060 even if you wanted to because they are sold out everywhere and have crazy mark ups because of mining, but Volta will not release until next year. And the card that you would get would be the GTX 1160, which I would expect to be somewhere in between a 1070 and 1080

What do you think rumours about nvidia volta and 20-series? Is it same architecture or the 20-series will be only pascal refresh?

Just now, b3ndix said:

What do you think rumours about nvidia volta and 20-series? Is it same architecture or the 20-series will be only pascal refresh?

What's the 20 series?? The next Nvidia cards are going to be the 11 series

Just now, b3ndix said:

i think their rumors and should be ignored and not thought about until solid information comes out from nvidia

Volta should be getting a number of architectural changes and also a process node improvement (half node, I guess, likely with modest benefit as it's just a mature 16 nm -> 12 nm). But I don't think these are necessarily geared to gaming performance improvements. They're likely to launch on the high end first, and Nvidia doesn't have cause to push aggressively on pricing. Even if there's a big improvement, it will likely be priced accordingly.

btw GTX 1060 3GB is selling for around $220, something like 10% above launch pricing but not unreasonable. If you already had a GTX 1050 Ti, this is significantly better, but regardless it may be worth waiting.

1 minute ago, loculus said:

btw GTX 1060 3GB is selling for around $220, something like 10% above launch pricing but not unreasonable.

Good answer, okay i think i'll wait for next gen gpu lol, currently using old hd5850

3 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

i think their rumors and should be ignored and not thought about until solid information comes out from nvidia

Okay i'll wait valid announcement from nvidia

11 minutes ago, b3ndix said:

Okay i'll wait valid announcement from nvidia

There are details from Nvidia's announcement of the V100 (massive, massive chip for compute), which the usual suspects covered:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11367/nvidia-volta-unveiled-gv100-gpu-and-tesla-v100-accelerator-announced

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-tesla-v100-volta-gpu,34379.html

Not an architecture deep dive yet, and we don't know what the consumer configs will be, but it's confirmed to absolutely not be a Pascal refresh or small bump in a number of ways.

Initial Volta products are not going to be consumer graphics cards. Initial Volta consumer graphics cards are fairly likely to be out of your price range.

Speculation is that consumer GPUs would be coming in 2018, maybe using GDDR6. Elsewhere it's been said that SK Hynix is prepping GDDR6 for high volume in 2018, though that could be for AMD rather than Nvidia. HBM2 as used for GP100 and the Vega Frontier Edition is expensive.

12 minutes ago, b3ndix said:

Good answer, okay i think i'll wait for next gen gpu lol, currently using old hd5850

GTX 1060 3GB would be a massive upgrade over the HD 5850. If you're 1080p gaming, I would just buy now. There's always something better coming.

23 minutes ago, loculus said:

btw GTX 1060 3GB would be a massive upgrade over the HD 5850. If you're 1080p gaming, I would just buy now. There's always something better coming.

Conclusion: nvidia next gen gpu will likely release in 2018?

Oh about hd5850, i get it from brother's old computer, i had 1050ti in the past, sold for rx 570, then sold again because the market went crazy. Got profit almost 90 bucks lol

Edit: don't want a card with less than 4 gigs vram

IMHO there's a huge tendency to overbuy VRAM. All the card manufacturers are good at this upsell. But the reality is that the base or lower VRAM amount will generally be okay for the useful life of the card. By the time it's not enough, the card is too slow anyway, VRAM aside. There are exceptions, the odd game that uses more, and some graphics cards where that's less true, etc. But for some games you can usually set textures and/or AA down, or some other setting. The rest of the time, you get the same performance regardless of the lower VRAM. On 1080p, 3GB should probably be okay for a while. On higher res, you probably want something better than a GTX 1060 anyway.

(Now with GTX 1060 the 3GB version is actually different and has a lower hardware config than the 6GB version, so it's obviously not just a difference of VRAM.)

And you do realize that new generations of hardware need less VRAM to do the same thing as older ones, right? Nvidia's on the 4th generation of their delta color compression for Pascal (GTX 1000 series). Also, if you're judging VRAM needs based on usage with one card, since there's no reason not to use up VRAM, that doesn't really tell you how much things would be affected given less VRAM. Maybe some of the data stored is very rarely needed and could well be evicted with little performance impact.