Dt 990 Premium vs Beats Solo 2

UnknownUser

I currently have beats solo 2s and am buying the 990s and have some questions. How much of a difference will I notice in comfort and build quality? What is the difference in sound quality? Which has better bass? Will these be an overall improvement?

(I mostly game but also listen the hip-hop/rap and some pop)

What's the use case? Mobile on the go or sitting at computer like a tater tot?

1 minute ago, SSL said:

What's the use case? Mobile on the go or sitting at computer like a tater tot?

I will be at my computer.

Have you done any research on the DT990? I have the Premium version (I think the Premium version comes in 600 Ohm only) which sounds about the same as the other version. It sparkles, my goodness it sparkles. Immediately after listening to it, I put on my HD800 and it sounds kinda dark.

I sure as heck hope you appreciate sparkly cans, the DT990 sparkles in spades. But I like it, guess I'm something of a closet treblehead.

I can't comment about the comparison between the Solo 2 and the DT990, since I've never owned a Beats before. Suffice to say the DT990 would have a wider soundstage, great clarity and detail, it has pretty good bass that isn't at all boomy. I just hope you like sparkly cans....

Edited by GamerDude

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

What version did you get from what I recall there is several OHM models. If it is the 250 or the 600 Ohm models do you have an amplifier to drive them? If so what is it? 

I would say you will hear an improvement in the sound, beats is more for the general public people who want to look good and sound decent headphone. The DT 990 is not good for on the go compared to the beats. The cable is long! and none detachable. Sound wise I have not listen to them but from reading about them they get mix reviews. For comfort it should be better as they go around the ear and the beats sit on the ear if I am not wrong. should provide a better seal which helps for better bass. 

8 hours ago, Soulfire20 said:

What version did you get from what I recall there is several OHM models. If it is the 250 or the 600 Ohm models do you have an amplifier to drive them? If so what is it? 

I would say you will hear an improvement in the sound, beats is more for the general public people who want to look good and sound decent headphone. The DT 990 is not good for on the go compared to the beats. The cable is long! and none detachable. Sound wise I have not listen to them but from reading about them they get mix reviews. For comfort it should be better as they go around the ear and the beats sit on the ear if I am not wrong. should provide a better seal which helps for better bass. 

I am going to get the 250 ohm one. I am not getting an amp. My onboard sound is very good. Also will the 600 ohm one be harder to drive?

53 minutes ago, UnknownUser said:

I am going to get the 250 ohm one. I am not getting an amp. My onboard sound is very good. Also will the 600 ohm one be harder to drive?

amps typically don't have a lot of power at 600 Ohm compared to 32 ohm, but they won't require a lot more power than their 250 ohm brother, but any decent amp would be able to push them. May I ask what amp are you looking at getting?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

what is your onboard soloution for sound? If you find it is not getting loud enough with full volume for you, usally mean not getting enough power. Which then amp is required. 

4 hours ago, Soulfire20 said:

what is your onboard soloution for sound? If you find it is not getting loud enough with full volume for you, usally mean not getting enough power. Which then amp is required. 

SupremeFX

5 hours ago, Dackzy said:

amps typically don't have a lot of power at 600 Ohm compared to 32 ohm, but they won't require a lot more power than their 250 ohm brother, but any decent amp would be able to push them. May I ask what amp are you looking at getting?

I'm not getting an Amp

24 minutes ago, UnknownUser said:

I'm not getting an Amp

oh misread that them

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I also might get the 770s so how would you compare the bass on the beats to the 770s to the 990s.

from that I have gathered the 770 (40hz to 50hz bump) has deep bass and the 990 (100hz bump) have more punch in the bass. Everything else is about the same. 

2 hours ago, Soulfire20 said:

from that I have gathered the 770 (40hz to 50hz bump) has deep bass and the 990 (100hz bump) have more punch in the bass. Everything else is about the same. 

Thanks