Can't get lan wall outlet to work properly

KevinSpanish
Go to solution Solved by NZLaurence,

You need to change the following wires on the wall plate so that they are wired the same as the label on the back of the wall plate. Do not change the RJ45 end as that is correct.

Inkedunnamed3.jpg.1120bc61b7c6ad0d81c9c89020fd1f4f_LI.jpg.969885a64b75eb62126d3d065936c6a0.jpg

Once the wires on wall socket are changed then it should work.

EDIT: The punch down block on the back of the wall plate is arranged that way to make it easier to use, they are not arranged in the same order as the pins on the front of the wall plate. You have to follow the wiring guide on the back of the wall plate for the wall plate end only.

The RJ45's are always wired following Either A or B spec:

download.png.7e7a0259486ecb36ef11ab17cc07183e.png

2 minutes ago, KevinSpanish said:

define 'working outlet'

I've had the outlet I posted earlier working, but only when connected directly to the modem

Ah, so none of the other outlets work either?

The reason I ask is because it seems like two pairs of wires are backwards and I want to see if they are all like that or just one.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Ah, so none of the other outlets work either?

No, both of them work when the 'input' comes directly from the modem,

but when I use the same cables and connect it to the switch it doesn't work

Comic sans is best font

-me to my graphic design teacher 6 seconds before I got kicked out of the classroom

14 minutes ago, KevinSpanish said:

No, both of them work when the 'input' comes directly from the modem,

but when I use the same cables and connect it to the switch it doesn't work

Hmm, alright. I think so long as ALL the outlets have the green and orange flipped on them on both sides then you're alright but it bugs me none the less :P

Gonna see if I can find anything on the switch model, see if there might be a reason it can't do 100Mb

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Hmm, alright. I think so long as ALL the outlets have the green and orange flipped on them on both sides then you're alright but it bugs me none the less :P

Gonna see if I can find anything on the switch model, see if there might be a reason it can't do 100Mb

Don't know if it's useful but this is my network in a nutshell:

The outlet in question is the "2-port rj45 outlet"

595e794f1e2e3_Middel2.png.ebb0f7a979b1ea5fef5486f67a335dee.png

Comic sans is best font

-me to my graphic design teacher 6 seconds before I got kicked out of the classroom

1 hour ago, KevinSpanish said:

Don't know if it's useful but this is my network in a nutshell:

The outlet in question is the "2-port rj45 outlet"

Your squares that say "Outlet" are really more like this right?

Walljack(s) --> Wire(s) in the wall --> Walljack(s)

And when you say that one outlet doesn't work, you mean that one particular "walljack, wire, walljack" connection doesn't work?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Just now, brwainer said:

Your squares that say "Outlet" are really more like this right?

Walljack(s) --> Wire(s) in the wall --> Walljack(s)

And when you say that one outlet doesn't work, you mean that one particular "walljack, wire, walljack" connection doesn't work?

4 hours ago, KevinSpanish said:

unnamed.jpg.55c82a7f0a4e093ff97cb5ad6cdffa31.jpg

This entire outlet doesn't work unless it's connected directly to the modem

Comic sans is best font

47 minutes ago, KevinSpanish said:

This entire outlet doesn't work unless it's connected directly to the modem

That specific outlet, meaning those two walljacks on that plate, or those two wires that go through the walls? And if you put a different type of termination on those two lines, e.g. a regular male RJ45, do they work?

Side question, when they are "working" with the modem, what link speed and duplex does the device on the other end report? e.g. gigabit full duplex, 100Mb full duplex, 100Mb half duplex.

7 minutes ago, brwainer said:

That specific outlet, meaning those two walljacks on that plate, or those two wires that go through the walls? And if you put a different type of termination on those two lines, e.g. a regular male RJ45, do they work?

Side question, when they are "working" with the modem, what link speed and duplex does the device on the other end report? e.g. gigabit full duplex, 100Mb full duplex, 100Mb half duplex.

4 hours ago, KevinSpanish said:

From the outlet there are two wires that go to the switch, disconnecting the wires form outlet and disconnecting the cables from the switch, plugging everything directly into the modem using those same cables to wire the outlet up again works.

But plugging these cables into the switch, then pushing them trough a wall and connecting the outlet again doesn't work.

Comic sans is best font

3 hours ago, KevinSpanish said:

I have read your previous message, I did not ignore it, but you use the same term "cables" to mean multiple things I think, and overall I am not clear on what precise steps you took to try to troubleshoot the issue. Can you describe it again using these terms please? They are terms we use at work when working on potential wiring issues.

• Walljack - a keystone or other type of connector that is installed in a wallplate or directly onto a wall; typically has a female RJ45 on the front-facing side
  • Patch cable - short cables used to connect between devices, or between a device and a walljack; typically has male RJ45 connectors on both ends and is premade
  • In-wall cable - cable that runs through the walls, terminated at either end with either walljacks or into a patch panel
  • wires - the individual strands inside a cable, there are 8 wires in an ethernet cable

Specifically when you are talking about this "outlet", I am unclear whether you mean that *both* of the two walljacks on that single plate aren't working, or only one of them. Of course I am assuming that on the other side of that "outlet" there are two female RJ45 connectors, I don't actually know that is the case as I have never seen that style before in person, and you haven't shown the other side. For all I know, that could be an elaborately designed device for splicing two cables together.

11 hours ago, brwainer said:

I have read your previous message, I did not ignore it, but you use the same term "cables" to mean multiple things I think, and overall I am not clear on what precise steps you took to try to troubleshoot the issue. Can you describe it again using these terms please? They are terms we use at work when working on potential wiring issues.

• Walljack - a keystone or other type of connector that is installed in a wallplate or directly onto a wall; typically has a female RJ45 on the front-facing side
  • Patch cable - short cables used to connect between devices, or between a device and a walljack; typically has male RJ45 connectors on both ends and is premade
  • In-wall cable - cable that runs through the walls, terminated at either end with either walljacks or into a patch panel
  • wires - the individual strands inside a cable, there are 8 wires in an ethernet cable

Specifically when you are talking about this "outlet", I am unclear whether you mean that *both* of the two walljacks on that single plate aren't working, or only one of them. Of course I am assuming that on the other side of that "outlet" there are two female RJ45 connectors, I don't actually know that is the case as I have never seen that style before in person, and you haven't shown the other side. For all I know, that could be an elaborately designed device for splicing two cables together.

I want to use that outlet as an 'extension'

the room I need it in is next to a room with a switch so my plan was to go from that switch to the room I need the outlet in and from the outlet to two computers

And yes, I could just pull two cables and leave the outlet out entirely, but it's kind of an ocd thing to have an outlet

This did not work, so I removed the wires from the outlet, pulled the cable back and disconnected it from the switch.

this cable has a rj45 on one end, which I plugged into the switch, the other end is bare and all the wires need to be pushed into slots on the back of the outlet

Then, using the same cables, I plugged both cables directly into the modem and connected the wires to the outlet again and after that both connections on the outlet worked.

On the back of the outlet there are two rows for the 8 wires inside a cable, one row for each connector at the front.

On the front there are two female rj45 connectors.

Comic sans is best font

1 hour ago, KevinSpanish said:

I want to use that outlet as an 'extension'

the room I need it in is next to a room with a switch so my plan was to go from that switch to the room I need the outlet in and from the outlet to two computers

And yes, I could just pull two cables and leave the outlet out entirely, but it's kind of an ocd thing to have an outlet

This did not work, so I removed the wires from the outlet, pulled the cable back and disconnected it from the switch.

this cable has a rj45 on one end, which I plugged into the switch, the other end is bare and all the wires need to be pushed into slots on the back of the outlet

Then, using the same cables, I plugged both cables directly into the modem and connected the wires to the outlet again and after that both connections on the outlet worked.

On the back of the outlet there are two rows for the 8 wires inside a cable, one row for each connector at the front.

On the front there are two female rj45 connectors.

I am a little clearer about what you did this time, but still not 100% certain. I will try to summarize that as how I inderstand it, please let me know if this is correct.

You want to run two ethernet cables through the wall, so that two devices in a different room can be connected to the switch. These cables both have a male RJ45 at the switch end, and nothing at the device end. Rather that leaving the wires hanging out of the wall, you attached them to a wallplate that has two builtin walljacks. When you connected these two cables to the switch and tested them, you did not get a steady link. You then removed the cables from the walljacks and pulled the cables back out to the room where the switch is. You reterminated the cables onto the walljacks, and tested with the modem, at which point you got a stable link.

If this is correct, then please answer these questions:

1. Did you test with the switch again after having success with the modem?
  2. When a device is connected to the modem, what link speed and duplex does the device on the other end report? e.g. gigabit full duplex, 100Mb full duplex, 100Mb half duplex?

4 hours ago, brwainer said:

You then removed the cables from the walljacks and pulled the cables back out to the room where the switch is. You reterminated the cables onto the walljacks, and tested with the modem, at which point you got a stable link.

I pulled them back, disconnected the male rj45's from the switch, and plugged those directly into the modem, and terminated the outlet/walljack which worked.

1. Yes, no luck.

23 hours ago, KevinSpanish said:

[Ping-download-upload]

Directly connected to the modem:

15 110 16

trough the outlet in question, into the modem:

15 80 15

The 3-port outlet:

15 85 15

Trough outlet in question and the 3-port outlet:

15 85 15

Directly into the switch:

14 85 15

Trough the outlet into the switch:

nothing...

I didn't disconnect the bare wires from the outlet/walljack, only the rj45 at the other end during my testing.
And I did test every point multiple times and took the average.

Comic sans is best font

30 minutes ago, KevinSpanish said:

I pulled them back, disconnected the male rj45's from the switch, and plugged those directly into the modem, and terminated the outlet/walljack which worked.

1. Yes, no luck.

[Ping-download-upload]

Directly connected to the modem:

15 110 16

trough the outlet in question, into the modem:

15 80 15

The 3-port outlet:

15 85 15

Trough outlet in question and the 3-port outlet:

15 85 15

Directly into the switch:

14 85 15

Trough the outlet into the switch:

nothing...

I didn't disconnect the bare wires from the outlet/walljack, only the rj45 at the other end during my testing.
And I did test every point multiple times and took the average.

I don't care about what your speedtests say. What is the actual link speed of the ethernet connector on the computer when it is connected to the modem?

1. Open Network And Sharing Center
  2. On the left, Click "Change Adapter Settings"
  3. right click on your wired adapter and choose Status
  4. Look at the new window for the Speed - it can only say 10, 100, or 1000 Mbps

3 hours ago, brwainer said:

I don't care about what your speedtests say. What is the actual link speed of the ethernet connector on the computer when it is connected to the modem?

1. Open Network And Sharing Center
  2. On the left, Click "Change Adapter Settings"
  3. right click on your wired adapter and choose Status
  4. Look at the new window for the Speed - it can only say 10, 100, or 1000 Mbps

It's 1,0 Gbps everywhere

Comic sans is best font

Guys, just to point out the wiring in that rj45 connector as posted WILL NOT work. Ethernet uses pairs to eliminate crosstalk. As long as the wires are in pairs then the colour doesn't matter, it they are not in pairs then the cable would be lucky to work more then a couple of meters.

Rewire both ends to be either A or B spec. The outlet you have pictured is wired to B spec so I would suggest re crimping the end to B spec.

9 hours ago, NZLaurence said:

Guys, just to point out the wiring in that rj45 connector as posted WILL NOT work. Ethernet uses pairs to eliminate crosstalk. As long as the wires are in pairs then the colour doesn't matter, it they are not in pairs then the cable would be lucky to work more then a couple of meters.

Rewire both ends to be either A or B spec. The outlet you have pictured is wired to B spec so I would suggest re crimping the end to B spec.

Didn't work,

still same issues.

Works directly at modem. Not at switch

Comic sans is best font

2 hours ago, KevinSpanish said:

Didn't work,

still same issues.

Works directly at modem. Not at switch

Please post close up photos of both ends of the wall cable? To confirm, one end is the wall plate, the other is a rj45?

1 hour ago, NZLaurence said:

Please post close up photos of both ends of the wall cable? To confirm, one end is the wall plate, the other is a rj45?

It's one cable, just to long for a close up.

unnamed3.jpg.1120bc61b7c6ad0d81c9c89020fd1f4f.jpg

Comic sans is best font

51 minutes ago, KevinSpanish said:

It's one cable, just to long for a close up.

unnamed3.jpg.1120bc61b7c6ad0d81c9c89020fd1f4f.jpg

Almost there. The rj45 is now wired in B spec but the jack is wrong. For the jack you need to follow the colours beside the letter B on the label. Orange/white, orange, blue, blue/white, green/white, green, brown/white, brown (I think, the wire is covering some of them).

All Ethernet cables must be wired the same at each end. For jack points always follow the label on the back of them as they can be made differently depending on the brand.

Also its worth noting the reason 100mb was working is because 100mb only uses 2 pairs (orange and green) where GB uses all pairs. If the wiring is wrong in such a way that you haven't doubled up on the use of a pair and it's the same at each end 100mb can work, but you will get some packet lose.

39 minutes ago, NZLaurence said:

Almost there. The rj45 is now wired in B spec but the jack is wrong. For the jack you need to follow the colours beside the letter B on the label. Orange/white, orange, blue, blue/white, green/white, green, brown/white, brown (I think, the wire is covering some of them).

All Ethernet cables must be wired the same at each end. For jack points always follow the label on the back of them as they can be made differently depending on the brand.

I don't really understand what you want at this point.

They are the same at both ends,

on the wallplate are the numbers 1-8, the jack is wired exactly the same from pin 1-8.

The connection is working, but again, only when connected directly into the modem, once I put it into the switch it just doesn't work. That's the thing that I can't wrap my head around.

Comic sans is best font

You need to change the following wires on the wall plate so that they are wired the same as the label on the back of the wall plate. Do not change the RJ45 end as that is correct.

Inkedunnamed3.jpg.1120bc61b7c6ad0d81c9c89020fd1f4f_LI.jpg.969885a64b75eb62126d3d065936c6a0.jpg

EDIT: The punch down block on the back of the wall plate is arranged that way to make it easier to use, they are not arranged in the same order as the pins on the front of the wall plate. You have to follow the wiring guide on the back of the wall plate for the wall plate end only.

The RJ45's are always wired following Either A or B spec:

download.png.7e7a0259486ecb36ef11ab17cc07183e.png

2 minutes ago, NZLaurence said:

You sir, just made my day

am3qXZ1.thumb.jpg.fdfa23e3f2cbf12cc9a1215a160604af.jpg

<3

Comic sans is best font

Good to hear.

I also suggest you cut off the excess wire after the punch down block. Mainly so that they don't short on anything. A proper punch down tool has a cutter in it to do that automatically.

Just remember going forward to make all rj45 plugs like that one, B spec. And to follow the wiring guide on the back of the sockets labeled B.

Just now, NZLaurence said:

Good to hear.

I also suggest you cut off the excess wire after the punch down block. Mainly so that they don't short on anything. A proper punch down tool has a cutter in it to do that automatically.

Just remember going forward to make all rj45 plugs like that one, B spec. And to follow the wiring guide on the back of the sockets labeled B.

I will once I actually wall mount it.

Thanks!

Comic sans is best font