Camera under $3000

My parents are both into photography and haven't bought a camera in 7+ years. They are not beginners but not the most tech savy. They do more photography then videography for sure, however they are definitely starting to take more videos. I do know that they want a relatively portable camera, and the budget includes the lens as well (or multiple lens if budget allows). Low light cabbalilties are necessary, autofocus is important but not a deal breaker. Generally, I would priorize photo quality over video quality, but a good all around camera is necessary. I was looking at the Panasonic LUMIX GH5 and Sony A7S II. And as for lens, I am lost. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

@shadowbyte just got a nice new camera (He can't help much AFAIK, since he's going on a trip to Italy for the next month or something). Check out his profile to see the awesome photos/videos from his new Panasonic G7 (which he got for ~$700). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

6 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Panasonic G7

I got this camera about 1 month ago (Youtube video and personal photos). 2nd DSLR I have owned and enjoy it quite a lot. Only downside is it only does 30 minute videos at time, so every 30 minutes you have start recording again. However its one of the, if not the cheapest 4k cameras on the markets, but doesn't feel cheap and comes with a TON of features.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

23 minutes ago, monjanger said:

My parents are both into photography and haven't bought a camera in 7+ years. They are not beginners but not the most tech savy. They do more photography then videography for sure, however they are definitely starting to take more videos. I do know that they want a relatively portable camera, and the budget includes the lens as well (or multiple lens if budget allows). Low light cabbalilties are necessary, autofocus is important but not a deal breaker. Generally, I would priorize photo quality over video quality, but a good all around camera is necessary. I was looking at the Panasonic LUMIX GH5 and Sony A7S II. And as for lens, I am lost. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Do they work as togs or they just want a new camera system to fulfill their enjoyment of photography?  Because they can get a nice entry level to mid tier camera body, which would cost the around $500-1000, and the rest of the money can be spent on buying a good lens or two.

For example, Nikon D5### body with something like a 17-55 2.8 or Sigma 18-35 1.8  Or a Sony A6### with the 18-105 or something.  These are just an example of what they can start with.

The GH5 and A7sII are good cameras, but the bodies alone will be about 2/3 of the budget.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

I would imagine given the budget and the background you are talking about your parents already own a camera and might even be invested in a system. In that case, they should just get the best camera that fits their glass. 

As far as your own recommendations, both the cameras you have talked about, especially the sony, are great for video, but lag behind in stills performance imo. Now, both are mirrorless systems, which begs the question of whether your parents are actually after something with the compactness of a mirrorless camera. Also, it is important whether they shoot professionally or are just very keen amateurs, since those factors do change any recommendation. 

If starting from scratch,  the a7iii, should be coming shortly, since it would allow for purchase more glass if you want to go the mirrorless route. 

However, my own personal opinion is that the fujifilm mirrorless system is much more complete and affordable at this point in time. The x-t20 is a nice, small great performing mirrorless camera that will cover the needs of any amteur, as enthusiastic as they may be, or professional looking for a sidearm camera of sorts. 

If however, the use is going to be professional in any way, the x-t2 would be a better fit since it has 2 card slots and the ability to take a battery grip which helps with shooting.  

Glass is also quite cheap, given quality and in comparison to FF glass. It depends of course on the specific use, portraiture vs. landscapes etc., but a combination of the 10-24mm f/4 OIS, 56mm f/1.2, 23mm f/2 and maybe the 16-55 f/2.8 (if for professional use) or the 18-55 f/2.8-4 for amateurs. You should be able to pick up most of this kit within that budget. 

EDIT: Unless they are pros though or really really keen on photography, a $3000 investment seems quite excessive to me...

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

10 minutes ago, cc143 said:

I would imagine given the budget and the background you are talking about your parents already own a camera and might even be invested in a system. In that case, they should just get the best camera that fits their glass. 

Yep, that's another good point.  Keep the same lenses and just upgrade the body (that's compatible).

10 minutes ago, cc143 said:

the use is going to be professional in any way

If they work as professionals, the should know their needs and not have to ask their son for advice.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins