Making the switch from NVIDIA to AMD

nkucz

Hey everybody!

I will be switching from the GTX 660 to the R9 290 when the non-reference cards release. Is there anything I need to do when switching? Uninstall the NVIDIA drivers and programs and stuff? I heard there could be potential conflicts if I don't completely uninstall the NVIDIA drivers correctly, not exactly sure what to do. I'm very excited for this beast of a card!

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

Just uninstall all of drivers, and switch the card. :)

best way to uninstall all the drivers?

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

best way to uninstall all the drivers?

Go to control panel, find the display drivers and hit uninstall.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Go to control panel, find the display drivers and hit uninstall.

cool thought it would be something like that, thanks

last time i swapped i had to use driver sweeper to get rid of the last driver trace.

you couldn't just uninstall from control panel?

The OPs avi....the irony

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

The OPs avi....the irony

avi?

Edit:

Oh short for avatar? What about it, the new AMD cards are beastly and I now love AMD :)

I wouldn't switch from Nvidia to AMD, but that is just me.

I wouldn't switch from Nvidia to AMD, but that is just me.

and why is that

I would like to know too. Why not?

AMD drivers are great now, the cards are beastly, and they have a program equivalent to GeForce Experience. I don't see the problem!

AMD drivers are great now, the cards are beastly, and they have a program equivalent to GeForce Experience. I don't see the problem!

Neither do I. I have a 7970 and my 7990 should be here today or tomorrow.

Neither do I. I have a 7970 and my 7990 should be here today or tomorrow.

7990 is beastly!

7990 is beastly!

I sure hope so! Plus, it's coming with 8 free games. And the best part is, it was only $550 on Newegg... NEW!

I sure hope so! Plus, it's coming with 8 free games. And the best part is, it was only $550 on Newegg... NEW!

Holy sh** are you serious? That's insane good for you, haha. 

Holy sh** are you serious? That's insane good for you, haha. 

Yep. Got the last one :D I think... I got it about 10:00 at night and the next morning they were gone.

Yep. Got the last one :D I think... I got it about 10:00 at night and the next morning they were gone.

:)

and why is that

I am going to get a lot of hate, but here it goes...

From what remember of  all the computers I owned in the past has ATI/AMD GPUs and they all had problems, some of were big problems, but I have only had 2 computers which have an Nvidia GPU so far: one of them being the GT 445M 3GB in my Dell XPS 17 which was surprising how well it performed on Crysis 2 and I had no problems what so ever with it. A computer I used quite a lot at the time is more powerful than the Dell XPS 17 in terms of the GPU (AMD) and CPU, but god almighty was it crap as I got the BSoD constantly when gaming, watching HD videos as well as trying to update the graphics drivers.

With my Current PC I have a GTX 780 and since I bought it I have never looked back at AMD.

I am going to get a lot of hate, but here it goes...

From what remember of  all the computers I owned in the past has ATI/AMD GPUs and they all had problems, some of were big problems, but I have only had 2 computers which have an Nvidia GPU so far: one of them being the GT 445M 3GB in my Dell XPS 17 which was surprising how well it performed on Crysis 2 and I had no problems what so ever with it. A computer I used quite a lot at the time is more powerful than the Dell XPS 17 in terms of the GPU (AMD) and CPU, but god almighty was it crap as I got the BSoD constantly when gaming, watching HD videos as well as trying to update the graphics drivers.

With my Current PC I have a GTX 780 and since I bought it I have never looked back at AMD.

how long ago did you have these AMD graphics cards? they have gotten a lot better in the last couple years

how long ago did you have these AMD graphics cards? they have gotten a lot better in the last couple years

The last AMD GPU I had was about 1-2 years ago.

The last AMD GPU I had was about 1-2 years ago.

yea I'd say they have improved ALOT since then :)