How does ASUS ProCool work?

Does anyone know more about ASUS ProCool as mentioned on this motherboard (please note am not thinking of buying this board)?

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X299-E-GAMING/

It says it's a flush connector, but clearly is surface mounted in that picture. If the pins themselves weren't directly attached on the board then you'd have silly wires going from the connector to the board (have never seen that unless you count extender cables). They say exceptionally close and secure, yet show what looks to be a standard connector in the photo.

games-1.jpg

The lower impedance could just be due to their traces or the material used, but there's no mention of that.

Also the better heat dissipation would surely be performed on the rear of the motherboard, as there is nothing visibly different looking at the front.

I just don't get what it offers or how.

Looks like the usual marketing wank, to be honest

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Metalshark

Good that you named this topic, I saw it on to z200 boards too, never read it at all.

ASUS ProCool is the power connector reinvented! well they reinvented it some boards ago, a gamer's guardian, guardian what I'm not clear on, what heat does it needs to guard?

That power connector of them must had many overheat issues, this revolutionary plug allowing cooler operating temperature. The flush connection enables lower impedance and better heat dissipation, a big leap for power connectors and heat related power plugs on motherboards? why is the 6 and 4 12v not having that, are other power plugs in danger, 8 pinn GPY 12v connectors need it too? afraid now?

• 3 weeks later...

Received a reply from ASUS on ProCool. First they informed me they used solid pins (what 24 pin motherboard connector doesn't have solid pins?) and when pushed to explain further stated that they couldn't comment and no further information would be available.

Therefore the only conclusion I can draw is that it is the same connectors that everything else uses and ASUS wish to shy away from questions on the matter.

• 4 years later...

I know this is a pretty old thread, but heres some more info on the ProCool II connectors.

https://edgeup.asus.com/2021/four-new-asus-x570-motherboards-keep-enthusiasts-at-the-cutting-edge/

TLDR
They look like auxiliary power connectors that should provide higher quality power filtering & better heat dissipation for the power connectors

• 1 year later...
On 6/29/2017 at 8:26 AM, Metalshark said:

Does anyone know more about ASUS ProCool as mentioned on this motherboard (please note am not thinking of buying this board)?

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X299-E-GAMING/

It says it's a flush connector, but clearly is surface mounted in that picture. If the pins themselves weren't directly attached on the board then you'd have silly wires going from the connector to the board (have never seen that unless you count extender cables). They say exceptionally close and secure, yet show what looks to be a standard connector in the photo.

games-1.jpg

The lower impedance could just be due to their traces or the material used, but there's no mention of that.

Also the better heat dissipation would surely be performed on the rear of the motherboard, as there is nothing visibly different looking at the front.

I just don't get what it offers or how.

Does anyone know who or where i can get this motherboard (24 pin connector) replaced? It broke and need a new one

games-1.jpg

Does anyone know who or where i can get this motherboard (24 pin connector) replaced? It broke and need a new one