is overclocking gpu memory dangerous?

lolzisgoodforu

So ive been testing some memory overclocks on my gtx 1060 and i have put a +750mhz on it. To me that seems like a lot but ive run several benchmarks and it is perfectly stable it seems. Yes i know overclocking memory doesnt do too much blah blah just hush, i wanna sqeeeze every little fart out of my gpu possible. So could i damage my gpu is i went higher? or will it just crash and ill have to restart and try again with a different setting like core clock overclocking

Don't run just benchmarks, they are very forgiving on VRAM.

I can do +900MHz offset in Firestrike without issues but I need to go down to +700MHz offset for all games to work properly without issues, some work at +800MHz some just crash/artifact, etc...

It stresses VRAM a bit more but as long as it is cooled properly you shouldn't have issues.

Just now, WereCat said:

Don't run benchmarks, they are very forgiving on VRAM.

I can do +900MHz offset in Firestrike without issues but I need to go down to +700MHz offset for all games to work properly without issues, some work at +800MHz some just crash/artifact, etc...

so ive been running a +500mhz memory overclock for a good while so i at least know thats stable, if i want to test further i should just play video games?

1 minute ago, lolzisgoodforu said:

so ive been running a +500mhz memory overclock for a good while so i at least know thats stable, if i want to test further i should just play video games?

Just play and notice if there is some strange behavior. Try Overwatch if you have it, that game hates VRAM OC, at least it caused me many bizarre things at random moments.

Why do you need to overclock GPU memory? Isn't it already like GDDR5 or crazy fast anyway?

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Just now, LtStaffel said:

Why do you need to overclock GPU memory? Isn't it already like GDDR5 or crazy fast anyway?

Because... more FPS?

Just now, WereCat said:

Because... more FPS?

How many more? Maybe I need to look into this

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

3 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

How many more? Maybe I need to look into this

In Witcher 3 I get +13FPS with a +700MHz offset on my 1080ti, that is going from 11GHz effective to 12.4GHz effective VRAM clock (700x2=1400MHz).

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

In Witcher 3 I get +13FPS with a +700MHz offset on my 1080ti, that is going from 11GHz effective to 12.4GHz effective VRAM clock (700x2=1400MHz).

really? since when did overclocking your memory give you that boost, memory overclocking was always worthless.

Just now, MrJarhead said:

really? since when did overclocking your memory give you that boost, memory overclocking was always worthless.

What? I got nice FPS boost as well on my 1060 I had previously.

3 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

Not really. Maxwell cards scaled very well (actually in some cases, mostly) due to the crazy memory OCs. If anything, especially on Pascal, gains from Core OCs alone are pretty negligible.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

1 minute ago, MrJarhead said:

5fps aint exactly much is it.

5FPS is quite a lot unless you already have 120FPS+.