use sp120 conroller to run led strip

Go to solution Solved by SamuelJE,

A splice would work just fine. Paul's hardware did a video on this a little while ago.

The only issue is that some wires in the different strips have different color values, so make sure you're splicing correctly.

Welcome to the forums :)

The sp120 controller is an rgb controller nothing more as far as I understand.  I would like to add a led strip to my corsair 570x without buying a separate controller and keep the simplicity and functionality of the buttons built into the case.  While corsair sells their own strips and controllers specifically for this purpose, would the corsair strips interface with the sp120 controller if modified to fit, or splice the wires with a sp120 connector.  Corsair has the proprietary connectors on the sp120's.  Would the wiring be the same for the fan leds as well as the strip apart from the connector?

sp120 rgb controller.jpg

570x rgb control buttons.jpg

A splice would work just fine. Paul's hardware did a video on this a little while ago.

The only issue is that some wires in the different strips have different color values, so make sure you're splicing correctly.

Welcome to the forums :)

Samuel Edwards

- IT Engineer and Media Producer -

Religious theology diploma and over half a dozen certificates in Advanced Computing and IT.

Current Project:   Mineral Oil Cooled PC

Just trying to be friendly and help where I can. Have yourself a great day!

Use @SamuelJE for friendly tech help :)

Main PC - "The Genesis"

Mobo   -   Gigabyte GA-H170-Gaming 3

CPU     -   intel i5-6600K 4Ghz on water

GPU     -   MSI GTX970 "Red Dragon"

Case    -   Zalman Z11 Plus (Custom RGB Obviously, It's 2017 bro...)

OSD     -   Crucial 275GB M.2 SSD

SSD     -   Crucial 250GB SATA SSD

HDD    -    4TB WD Green x 2

Disp     -   LG ultra wide Gaming Monitor

Secondary PC - "Jonah"   (Mineral oil PC)

Mobo   -   Gigabyte GA-B250-DH1

CPU     -   intel i5-7500 Under Oil

GPU     -   Nvidia GTX 660 (Favorite and first ever GPU)

Case    -   A Fish Tank W/ Custom Engineered Mounting System (Custom RGB Obviously, It's 2017 bro...)

OSD     -   Crucial 275GB M.2 SSD

HDD    -    2TB WD Green

Disp     -   LG ultra wide Gaming Monitor

Hey there. Thanks man!   Really appreciate the reply.  This really makes my course much clearer.  Really didn't want to upset the ease of use i currently have with all kinds of controllers and/or software for such a little thing.  Thanks a bunch.

Just now, haft2doit said:

oh it's a corsair 570x

nice, I have a 460X, very similar case, is the back panel hard to close?

1 minute ago, RandoNandoz said:

nice, I have a 460X, very similar case, is the back panel hard to close?

Well it is as "easy" to get on and off as "easily" as any of the other panels.  Which is.... not as easy as any other case I've had. 

The back panel has never been on it.  I need to get some non-right angle sata cables so they wont press into the glass.  Also the case is the first part in a new build.  I just slapped my old machine in it while I decide on the rest of the setup.  When this case came out I liked the look and impulse bought it.

570x in progress.jpg

Just now, haft2doit said:

Well it is as "easy" to get on and off as "easily" as any of the other panels.  Which is.... not as easy as any other case I've had. 

The back panel has never been on it.  I need to get some non-right angle sata cables so they wont press into the glass.  Also the case is the first part in a new build.  I just slapped my old machine in it while I decide on the rest of the setup.  When this case came out I liked the look and impulse bought it.

570x in progress.jpg

it's a beauty

Thx.  The psu shroud cover is a work in progress.  They had some half baked ideas with the case, but overall I like it.