The noise

BlueLion

Well I've always tried to silence my PC as much as possible but for some reason I'm just not there. A noise seems to be coming out of my Western Digital Green 3 TB. It's a slight hum but the hard drive itself is pretty darn new and Greens are well known for silence. It isn't damaged from what I could tell but do you guys have any suggestions on making it silent?

Silence mounts for the drives? Noise dampening foam?

I wouldn't blame the mounting system itself. I have a Corsair 500R Carbide and it's mounting is really nicely built. Any specific brand of foam that you recommend?

None that spring to mind; where would you be buying from?

And the drives thing can be a big cause - sound is easily transferred through vibration of solid objects and can be amplified by large thin metal sheets such as side doors.

Drives are so damn loud! I wish i had the money for a proper NAS, so i don't have to hear the stupid things! Without drives my PC would be so much quieter! But mine are older 1TB Sammy's before the Seagate aquisition, so that might be why i find them so loud.

Try some of the denser foam used to make stamps or maybe even some rubber life bike tube folded up. Try this between the hdd and the mounting point. Then drive the screw through it. ( after you have predrilled the hole)

Suspend your drive(s). It is, by definition, the best way of silencing your drives, as you have as little of the drive in direct contact with the case as possible.

Get some nylon chord (I used Stretch Magic because I couldn't find any) and mount your drive in a 5.25 bay so it looks like this:

hdsilence_20080410.jpg