PC Stuck in boot loop. CPU or MOBO

pit27

I built this system 6 months ago and its been working fine until yesterday when The PC suddenly blue screened. The code was CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. Now the PC gets stuck in a boot loop, no post or bios. I'll give my specs and every troubleshooting step I've done so far.

Specs:

i5 6600k (4.2 GZ)

gigabyte z170xp-sli

gtx 1070

8gb ram

600w psu

Troubleshooting steps I've taken:

Clear CMOS

Remove CMOS battery and replace

Use another PSU

Unplug all drives, pcie cards, rgb lights, fans (except cpu fan), and every external device

Use one stick of ram in different slots

Use no ram (pc does not shut off when doing this, i get long continuous beeps, which is normal)

Remove CPU

Reseat CPU/reapply tim.

Because of these steps, I am 99% sure that the problem is CPU or MOBO, which is why I'm posting here. Thank you for any advice.

Oh sounds like youre in a bit of a sticky situation not gonna lie what i would suggest doing is if possible testing the motherboard and processor on their own. If this is not possible then i would look at your system for any other potential errors before buying new parts. For example is it possible that your processor could have overheated and now as a precaution will not boot? or are any of the components damaged in any way?

What brand is the PSU? 

EDIT: did you overclock your CPU or was it overclocked?

Edited by Abdul201588

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

What brand is the PSU? 

He has tried switching the PSU i doubt it is the issue i think that it is more likely that the processor overheated whilst under load. Or one of the components is damaged but general rule of thumb motherboards tend to g before processors.

27 minutes ago, pit27 said:

I built this system 6 months ago and its been working fine until yesterday when The PC suddenly blue screened. The code was CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. Now the PC gets stuck in a boot loop, no post or bios. I'll give my specs and every troubleshooting step I've done so far.

Specs:

i5 6600k (4.2 GZ)

gigabyte z170xp-sli

gtx 1070

8gb ram

600w psu

Troubleshooting steps I've taken:

Clear CMOS

Remove CMOS battery and replace

Use another PSU

Unplug all drives, pcie cards, rgb lights, fans (except cpu fan), and every external device

Use one stick of ram in different slots

Use no ram (pc does not shut off when doing this, i get long continuous beeps, which is normal)

Remove CPU

Reseat CPU/reapply tim.

Because of these steps, I am 99% sure that the problem is CPU or MOBO, which is why I'm posting here. Thank you for any advice.

5 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

What brand is the PSU? 

EDIT: did you overclock your CPU or was it overclocked?

Im in agreement there did you overclock the processor and what cooler where you using

37 minutes ago, VivashTech said:

Im in agreement there did you overclock the processor and what cooler where you using

Overclocked to 4.2 GHz with hyper 212 evo. It's been stable for months with games like Cities: Skylines and Fallout 4.

1 minute ago, pit27 said:

Overclocked to 4.2 GHz with hyper 212 evo. It's been stable for months with games like Cities: Skylines and Fallout 4.

Yes but have you checked the temperatures ever?

If so and they were under 80 at load and idle then i would look at replacing the motherboard as they normally die before processors. look at z270 motherboards as they have more features than z170 and are good value for money

4 minutes ago, VivashTech said:

Yes but have you checked the temperatures ever?

I haven't checked them in a few months with last stress test but I think they've only ever got up to around 80. I know it has never reached 90 before while testing.

ok fair enough then i would look into replacing the motherboard sorry for your loss bro. If you replace motherboard and system still isnt working return the motherboard(make sure you can do that with like a 14 day return policy!) and then replace processor and see if that works. Hope i helped and good luck with your rig!

Also both the cpu and mobo should still be under warranty so once I know for sure which the problem is I can get rma. I might take it to a local shop later to see if they have another cpu i could put in to see what happens.

1 minute ago, VivashTech said:

ok fair enough then i would look into replacing the motherboard sorry for your loss bro. If you replace motherboard and system still isnt working return the motherboard(make sure you can do that with like a 14 day return policy!) and then replace processor and see if that works. Hope i helped and good luck with your rig!

Thanks!