Silly question about 3.5mm splitters

LooneyJuice

Hello Dudes/Dudettes,

I own a Cloud 2 headset and I want to have the option to switch from the inline DAC to my onboard Audio so I can selectively enable/disable stuff like noise cancellation. I know I need a splitter for that, my question is, what is the correct terminology for a 1x3.5mm to 2x3.5mm splitter? is there one? I've been busting my brain trying to find a proper cable/extension in domestic marketplaces, and I keep getting oddball stuff like the 2x3.5mm to consolidated 3.5mm. Help is much appreciated with this rather silly question.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

Pretty sure it's just called an "aux splitter"

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

2 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

Pretty sure it's just called an "aux splitter"

yea...i have one i think

You don't really need a splitter for that. You can just select the audio interface of choice from your sound selection menu on your desktop. A 3.5mm splitter just splits the signal into two directions with no volume control on either as that's controlled by the source. If you get a shitty one, it'll actually half your output volume as I've had happen to me. 

4 minutes ago, Hikaru12 said:

You don't really need a splitter for that. You can just select the audio interface of choice from your sound selection menu on your desktop. A 3.5mm splitter just splits the signal into two directions with no volume control on either as that's controlled by the source. If you get a shitty one, it'll actually half your output volume as I've had happen to me. 

I do, since I want to maintain the Mic input. I don't have any consolidated 3.5mm sockets on my board. Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK, I could totally just stick it into my board as is, but I'd only have output, no input.

EDIT: Just occurred to me, would just a generic 3.5mm stereo splitter do the same job? Does anyone know? It wouldn't be labeled but it should work, yeah?

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

7 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

I do, since I want to maintain the Mic input. I don't have any consolidated 3.5mm sockets on my board. Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK, I could totally just stick it into my board as is, but I'd only have output, no input.

EDIT: Just occurred to me, would just a generic 3.5mm stereo splitter do the same job? Does anyone know? It wouldn't be labeled but it should work, yeah?

A splitter works in both directions. Say you have your 3.5mm from your computer, you can split that signal between a pair of speakers and headphones or you can output the signal from a DAC and let's say a Sonos and output that from 3.5mm to your speakers with a 3.5mm to RCA splitter. By switching, I was having a hard time understanding what you mean. A splitter will allow you to use both devices at the same time so yes in your scenario it should work. 

1 hour ago, Hikaru12 said:

A splitter works in both directions. Say you have your 3.5mm from your computer, you can split that signal between a pair of speakers and headphones or you can output the signal from a DAC and let's say a Sonos and output that from 3.5mm to your speakers with a 3.5mm to RCA splitter. By switching, I was having a hard time understanding what you mean. A splitter will allow you to use both devices at the same time so yes in your scenario it should work. 

I can see how that may have caused some confusion now. By switching I merely mean unplugging it from the DAC completely and then using the consolidated 3.5mm jack through a splitter to plug into my onboard Motherboard Audio (therefore assuming more granular control of the headset) and maintain Input and Output (the former of which I would have lost, had I plugged it straight in without splitting the input signal). My problem is that I cannot for the life of me in my current domestic online market (Greece) find a labeled headphone/mic splitter. Sadly, it seems to be more of a case of misinformation and poor labeling. I just searched on Amazon.de and found this on the first go for crying out loud. Thanks for the input though, much obliged.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave