Asus ZX53VW Yay or Nay?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. ASUS ZX53VW, Worth it?

• Yay
    • Nay

Hello LLT Community,

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to evaluating performance and quality when it comes to hardware that's out of my comfort level (sorry I'm an Apple fanboy).

But most recently (as in like 24 hours ago), my girlfriend (a very talented artist and avid Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator user) purchased a gaming laptop.

Yes the ASUS ZX53VW to be exact. With the following specifications.

Intel Core i5, 8GB DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GTX 960M, and 512GB SSD.

All on a 15.6" Full HD Display with Windows 10.

Now my questions to the public, was this $800 gaming laptop purchase worth it? Or might it have been overkill? Or maybe not even enough?

She's looking for portability, running Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere Pro, and proper functionality.

With that being said some extra questions if anyone is willing to assist, are the components inside the laptop upgrade-able?

I mean let's face it, they just released an iMac Pro with 128GB of RAM!

Needless to say there will be a necessity for more RAM in the future as I'm sure software becomes more demanding am I right? (specially the Adobe suite)

Please feel free to speak up and say absolutely whatever it is you'd like on this matter.

I'm here to be enlightened.

Thank you,

inktr3pid

But if your trying to help your GF then id ask her to try out the programs and see how they run. But considering its a mobile i5 and I personally have a desktop i5 and those same programs...and they run "OK" for me, they probably wont

So... I'm going to assume you're in the US using USD...

Portability -- that's up to you to decide what counts as "portable"

Overkill -- probably no really. Keep in mind that the 960M is just a tiny bit worse than the full on desktop 650ti, which is a relatively old card. With that, I'm going to assume it should work for PS, IL pretty good, but might chug a bit with Premiere Pro.

The usual upgradable laptop components should be (RAM, HDD). Keep in mind there's probably only 2 RAM slots so if you want your 128GB you're gonna need 64GB sticks.

BUT! The battery is probably going to be absolute crap (relative to notebooks) so you have to keep that in mind.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

@Dang3r D3bbi3No apology is necessary I want people's honest input!

Plus it's not hurting my feelings, it's my girl's doing lol. I will make sure she tries out the programs immediately upon installation.

@nerdslayer1I will certainly take a look at it! Any reviews already on it you'd recommend I'd take a look at?

@bob51zhangYes, I am in the US. I personally don't think that gaming laptop is very portable. Sure for the hardware it hauls maybe its considerable. But I know she's not gonna be happy with it in the long run just got this gut feeling. Ugghhh well I figured the card due to it being a laptop wasn't going to be as good as it sounded to her. It is dedicated graphics though nonetheless right? As long as it can run Photoshop/Illustrator flawlessly than it might suit her. Looks like she'll just have to tinker with Premiere Pro on her desktop. Now would upgrading the RAM to let's say 16GB help with using Premiere Pro or do you think just the graphics card alone can't handle it? Yes the battery is something I'm absolutely preparing her for. It's not going to be pretty lol. Thank you for your great input!

3 minutes ago, inktr3pid said:

@bob51zhangYes, I am in the US. I personally don't think that gaming laptop is very portable. Sure for the hardware it hauls maybe its considerable. But I know she's not gonna be happy with it in the long run just got this gut feeling. Ugghhh well I figured the card due to it being a laptop wasn't going to be as good as it sounded to her. It is dedicated graphics though nonetheless right? As long as it can run Photoshop/Illustrator flawlessly than it might suit her. Looks like she'll just have to tinker with Premiere Pro on her desktop. Now would upgrading the RAM to let's say 16GB help with using Premiere Pro or do you think just the graphics card alone can't handle it? Yes the battery is something I'm absolutely preparing her for. It's not going to be pretty lol. Thank you for your great input!

Yeah she's probably not going to like it in the long run.

I agree with @nerdslayer1

The full desktop 1050ti will blow the 960M out of the water. 

16GB for premiere would probably be a must. (keep in mind the CPU will probably be a huge bottleneck too)

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

@nerdslayer1Thanks for the review! Damn I feel like she got gypped. Would you say her current purchase is a bit outdated? I mean clearly it seems like the Dell Inspiron 7567 with 1050 for almost the same price as her current one is way better. And upgrading to the 1050ti wouldn't cost much more either.

@bob51zhangWell hopefully she can just return it after tinkering with it a bit. I think it's safe to say I will recommend she go with a 1050ti. and yes 16GB is more or less a must. What would you recommend for the kind of work she's looking to do? Again she's a very avid artist with a wacom tablet she's going to have constantly hooked up. Her main use for the laptop is to photoshop, illustrate, and premiere pro without any hiccups and multitask between all 3 programs along with you know your typical web browsing. She might be thinking about 3D graphics to like Cinema 4D. As she uses Sculptris at the moment. I forgot to mention that earlier lol.

On 6/17/2017 at 2:04 PM, inktr3pid said:

@nerdslayer1Thanks for the review! Damn I feel like she got gypped. Would you say her current purchase is a bit outdated?

Yes yes it is

On 6/17/2017 at 2:04 PM, inktr3pid said:

Her main use for the laptop is to photoshop, illustrate, and premiere pro without any hiccups and multitask between all 3 programs along with you know your typical web browsing. She might be thinking about 3D graphics to like Cinema 4D. As she uses Sculptris at the moment. I forgot to mention that earlier lol.

Shes gonna need AT LEAST 16GB of ram....maybe want to buy a laptop first THEN upgrade it to 32GB if needed..cause man Photoshop, illustrate, and Premiere Pro ALONG with multiple web pages is going to EAT that ram for breakfast..