First time mining

So I would like to make a bit of money ==> bitcoins. I have read a few forums and articles about how to and what, but I would like a few more opinions on mining.

First of all my rig which exists of: i5-6500, gtx 1060 6gb, z170 hd3p gigabyte mobo and a 450watt PSU

1. Is this good enough to even start mining?

2. which software are you guys using for nvidia cards?

3. how do I set it up?

4. do all software programms use the same BTC currency?

5. where do I make my private key(password/blockchain stuff)

Sorry for all the stupid questions, but I really like to learn more about bitcoin mining

Thanks in advance

8 minutes ago, DBZGeek said:

So I would like to make a bit of money ==> bitcoins. I have read a few forums and articles about how to and what, but I would like a few more opinions on mining.

First of all my rig which exists of: i5-6500, gtx 1060 6gb, z170 hd3p gigabyte mobo and a 450watt PSU

1. Is this good enough to even start mining?

2. which software are you guys using for nvidia cards?

3. how do I set it up?

4. do all software programms use the same BTC currency?

5. where do I make my private key(password/blockchain stuff)

Sorry for all the stupid questions, but I really like to learn more about bitcoin mining

Thanks in advance

you clearly need to google for some hours first before entering this world.

to respond to your questions though:
1 - no - not by far
2 - bitcoin mining isn't done on GPus anymore
3 - better don't
4 - nope
5 - you clearly need to google and read up first!

basically:
don't do bitcoin unless you are in asia and got tons of mining modules.

if you want to stick your nose into mining in general then have a look (and read up) into ethereum.

Mining is viable, but not Bitcoin anymore. It's prone to ASIC cards mining everything out too quickly. Some other currencies require vram calculations to eliminate use of ASIC cards and force users to stay with graphics cards. Also, you will lose money on your power bill with Bitcoin.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

6 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

1 - no - not by far
3 - better don't
4 - nope

basically:

if you want to stick your nose into mining in general then have a look (and read up) into ethereum.

2- It is, in some coins, but with AMD GPUs.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

1 minute ago, RuLeZ said:

thats why I said bitcoin - if OP would have read up for 10 minutes into the subject he would have known himself :-)

2 minutes ago, RuLeZ said:

some coins != bitcoins

he said specificly bitcoins. there's plenty of alternative coins you can mine with a GPU and transfer to bitcoin tho :D

32 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

1 - no - not by far
3 - better don't
4 - nope

basically:

27 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Mining is viable, but not Bitcoin anymore. It's prone to ASIC cards mining everything out too quickly. Some other currencies require vram calculations to eliminate use of ASIC cards and force users to stay with graphics cards. Also, you will lose money on your power bill with Bitcoin.

26 minutes ago, Schubaltz said:

Unfortunately BTC is so, so much harder to get now compared to 2013/2014.

25 minutes ago, RuLeZ said:

24 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

thats why I said bitcoin - if OP would have read up for 10 minutes into the subject he would have known himself :-)

22 minutes ago, manikyath said:

some coins != bitcoins

he said specificly bitcoins. there's plenty of alternative coins you can mine with a GPU and transfer to bitcoin tho :D

Thanks for all the replies guys. How about ethereum? Is that viable with my rig? and is it even worth it(even for a few euro's/day?

Just now, DBZGeek said:

and is it even worth it?

IMO mining as a whole isnt really worth it if not for going big. but "worth" is a very touchy topic.