Possible USB overload?

Hello,

I am currently experiencing some strange USB problems, and I am in the middle of diagnosing the issue, but if you have some insight on what might be happening I would appreciate your input.

For no obvious, but for multiple suspected reasons, my USB devices all shut down randomly within 15 minutes of using the computer and the only way to get them back online is to reboot the machine.

At first I thought this was my mouse's fault, as before these full shutdowns happened, it stopped working by itself a few times, and if I unplugged it and plugged it back in, it would come back to life. So, I replaced it with another mouse, waited for a while, and everything ended up collapsing just the same. Then I noticed something weird. It mostly seemed to happen when I entered teamspeak and started using my USB headset. So I unplugged that, and nothing went wrong for about an hour. So, I plugged the USB headset back in, however this time, I didn't plug it to the back of the computer, I used the front panel, and nothing has gone wrong in the past hour as well. So I am left somewhat confused. I still haven't plugged my mouse back in, however. Is it possible that no device is actually shorting, and it's an overload caused by the USB headset in conjunction with all the other hardware? Or is it more likely to be a controller issue? I have quite a few devices plugged into my motherboard, but with the headset plugged into the front panel, everything is still holding up.

It might be worth mentioning that I went on vacation and took my peripherals with me, so even though I had everything connected to the back of the motherboard before, I did move the plugs around.

My motherboard is an Asus X-99E. While the shorts were happening, what I had plugged in was:

Razer Blackwidow Chroma v2

Razer Mamba TE

Razer Kraken 7.1 v2

Wacom Cintiq Pro

Honestly, I have no clue what's going on.

Thanks

Plugged mouse back in, everything is still working. Mouse plugged into the USB 2 ports in the back, keyboard and tablet to the USB3 back ones, and headset to the front. Thoughts?

My MOBO has USB power issues, if i have my devices pluged in a certain way it can't provide enough power to all devices so 1 will just not work. I get by this by trying out different combinations of which ports are used. (all these RGB stuff takes more power.)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

My MOBO has USB power issues, if i have my devices pluged in a certain way it can't provide enough power to all devices so 1 will just not work. I get by this by trying out different combinations of which ports are used. (all these RGB stuff takes more power.)

That's what I figured too. Well, now I know it's not an isolated case, many thanks!

1 minute ago, LainVonDark said:

That's what I figured too. Well, now I know it's not an isolated case, many thanks!

ya try running with less stuff plugged in as a test.

for ref my setup

MSI z97 Gaming 5 (I think)

USB devices

K70 RGB

Blue yeti

M95 RGB

Fiio DAC AMP

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

• 1 month later...

Just want to add in on this, but I've been battling the same issue for the past year since I have many USB devices that I use frequently. However, I only seem to have the issue when I'm running a program that uses many of the devices simultaneously, such as streaming or doing homework while listening to music or anything else remotely important for that matter.  I assumed having a high-end rig wouldn't produce such issues but it appears that I was mistaken.  If anyone has found a work around or solution to this problem then I would love to know.  Here is what I have.

Asus Rampage Edition 10

ram and graphics cards, blah blah blah

USB devices (prepare yourselves)

Internal USB Devices (Via NZXT USB extension on one hub and the ASUS fan controller extender on the other)

5.25 Asus Dac amp that came with motherboard, I extended the data and power cables and flush mounted unit in my desk

Kraken x61 Cooler

NZXT Hue+

External USB Devices

Razer Blackwidow Chroma V1

Asus ROG Spatha (sometimes I interchange with the Corsair m65)

M-audio mobile pre interface for Mics

Logitech C920 Web Cam

Logitech G933 Wireless Headset

88-key Keyboard

Xbox One Wireless Controller adapter

Some printer that I hardly ever use

And lastly, the port on the side of my keyboard that I use for either charging a device or removable storage

Anyway, I'm having the same issue and it's incredibly annoying and I'm not a fan of choosing which devices I need to plug in for certain tasks.

Any insight on the issue would be awesome!

If you determine it's a power issue, buy a powered USB 3 hub, that'll provide you with more than enough bandwidth and won't suck any power from your computer

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys.