1440p monitor giving issues with borderless and old games

Im having issues using my 1440p monitor to run older games and almost all games in borderless mode.
older games: Rome Total War, Sid meijers railroads, Sid meiers pirates, Stronghold Crusader Extreme HD
Borderless: e.g. League of legends, DOOM, Minecraft, Civ 5, NFS MW. (Very weirdly, The Witcher 3 is an exception to this, borderless just works)
I made a post about it recently. 

Which has a little more information regarding the issue. I found out that my 1080p secondary monitor runs all the games completely flawlessly. I've tried reinstalling drivers and a whole lot more, I'm kind of desperate. If anyone could help me I would be super grateful.

In my experience, when running games in Borderless windows, they will attempt to run at the current desktop resolution.

So it's likely that these older games don't take well to running at 1440p.

If you can run them at 1080p without issue, then the simple fix is to simply switch your desktop to 1920x1080 before launching the game.

This is basically the same principle used for Dynamic Super Resolution just in reverse, going down in resolution so the game runs closer to what it can handle.

Now, that's just a quick fix that will get your older games running again.

You might want to dig a bit deeper if you want them running in 1440p.

Maybe try running them in fullscreen. Check if there are any updates or patches for these games to handle higher resolutions.

Each game might have a fix unique to itself for running at resolutions higher than intended. I know how that can be when dealing with really old games where it was never planned for the game to even go over 600x800.

---

Just now, WereCat said:

Monitor Hz, Free-Sync?

Freesync yes, I think its 70hz? The minimum spec required for Freesync im sure

Just now, Sneder said:

Freesync yes, I think its 70hz? The minimum spec required for Freesync im sure

If your main 1440p monitor is 70Hz/75Hz and you have Free-Sync on it and your other monitor is only 60Hz then you will have issues in Windowed/borderless mode anytime there is any sort of animation happening on the other 60Hz screen. (Same for G-Sync).

You can try to OC your other monitor Hz or just play in FullScreen.

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

If your main 1440p monitor is 70Hz/75Hz and you have Free-Sync on it and your other monitor is only 60Hz then you will have issues in Windowed/borderless mode anytime there is any sort of animation happening on the other 60Hz screen. (Same for G-Sync).

You can try to OC your other monitor Hz or just play in FullScreen.

Shouldn't it fix it then if I tune down the monitor to 60Hz? 

Just now, Sneder said:

Shouldn't it fix it then if I tune down the monitor to 60Hz? 

Also a possibility. I would try to OC the other monitor first though :D 

14 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Also a possibility. I would try to OC the other monitor first though :D 

I first tried my own solution. No result.

Turned of Freesync aswel. No result.
I then disconnected all screens. No result.
Then i physically disconnected the cables. No result 

But when I swapped out the DP cable for an HDMI cable the issue got resolved. Im confused.

6 minutes ago, Sneder said:

I first tried my own solution. No result.

Turned of Freesync aswel. No result.
I then disconnected all screens. No result.
Then i physically disconnected the cables. No result 

But when I swapped out the DP cable for an HDMI cable the issue got resolved. Im confused.

Heh, not sure whats happening then.

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Heh, not sure whats happening then.

Thanks though (:

43 minutes ago, PrimeSonic said:

In my experience, when running games in Borderless windows, they will attempt to run at the current desktop resolution.

So it's likely that these older games don't take well to running at 1440p.

If you can run them at 1080p without issue, then the simple fix is to simply switch your desktop to 1920x1080 before launching the game.

This is basically the same principle used for Dynamic Super Resolution just in reverse, going down in resolution so the game runs closer to what it can handle.

Now, that's just a quick fix that will get your older games running again.

You might want to dig a bit deeper if you want them running in 1440p.

Maybe try running them in fullscreen. Check if there are any updates or patches for these games to handle higher resolutions.

Each game might have a fix unique to itself for running at resolutions higher than intended. I know how that can be when dealing with really old games where it was never planned for the game to even go over 600x800.

The 1080p fixed works, because it's on a different monitor (that is inheretly 1080p). It doesn't work on the 1440p monitor. (nor does 800x600 for that matter.)