i73930k to Ryzen 5 1600?

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

The Cryorig R1 series are some of the best coolers on the market.  I don't understand how that classifies as POS.  AOI coolers don't really work better than (high end) air coolers.  They just take longer to heat up (and cool down).  They do look better though, I'll agree with that.

I'm not surprised none of your units have broken.  Leaks aren't very common.  I'm just a little paranoid about $1000 of equipment, which I'm sure you can understand. :)

I see you're point, I test my AIO's separate of the system on a FX9590 system (no case) for 2 days before I put it in any new system. I just can't see someone not knowing an AIO is broken or not before putting it in, because it's either leaking or the pump isn't working, and either way, it's easy to spot before you put it in, just run it even without a system to mount it on, and it will show you if it's broken or not, the most dangerous thing I can see happening is it having a very slow leak you couldn't find before putting it in.

I apologize if I sounded rude by the way, and I just mentioned that your air cooler was a POS simply because it's worse than a much more costly Kraken x62.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

11 hours ago, He_162 said:

I apologize if I sounded rude by the way, and I just mentioned that your air cooler was a POS simply because it's worse than a much more costly Kraken x62.

All an AIO cooler does is push the heat directly outside the case, as opposed to into the case and then depending on the case fans to get rid of it.  It skips one step, ideally saving a couple degrees.  A high end AIO is better than a high end air cooler, but a medium AIO one isn't as good as a high end air cooler. There is overlap. The Cryorig R1 Ultimate is by no means a piece of shit. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

On 6/8/2017 at 10:35 PM, JoostinOnline said:

All an AIO cooler does is push the heat directly outside the case, as opposed to into the case and then depending on the case fans to get rid of it.  It skips one step, ideally saving a couple degrees.  A high end AIO is better than a high end air cooler, but a medium AIO one isn't as good as a high end air cooler. There is overlap. The Cryorig R1 Ultimate is by no means a piece of shit. 

But you referenced an AIO as a piece of shit, so if you're saying a similarly priced AIO is a POS i'm assuming you take the Cryorig for one too, settle down airfanboy.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

On 08/06/2017 at 1:21 PM, App4that said:

LOL!!! Not on Ryzen. My 1700X is cooler than my 4790k. Uses less power too. 

So...my friend should get my 4790K (which replaces an i5 4440), and I should go for a 1700X

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

12 hours ago, He_162 said:

But you referenced an AIO as a piece of shit, so if you're saying a similarly priced AIO is a POS i'm assuming you take the Cryorig for one too, settle down airfanboy.

I said that there are piece of shit AIO coolers out there. Not that they all are. Plenty are excellent. There are also terrible air coolers. A good air cooler is going to cost as much as a bad AIO cooler though. That's why I said it's my personal preference to go the cheaper route, even if it doesn't look that great. My air cooler takes up almost half the case, it's ridiculous. xD

If Cryorig made an $80 AIO cooler, I seriously doubt it would be very good. I'm not married to the brand or anything, it's just that the specific model I have produces some of the best cooling. 

You should watch this btw:

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I said that there are piece of shit AIO coolers out there. Not that they all are. Plenty are excellent. There are also terrible air coolers. A good air cooler is going to cost as much as a bad AIO cooler though. That's why I said it's my personal preference to go the cheaper route, even if it doesn't look that great. My air cooler takes up almost half the case, it's ridiculous. xD

If Cryorig made an $80 AIO cooler, I seriously doubt it would be very good. I'm not married to the brand or anything, it's just that the specific model I have produces some of the best cooling. 

You should watch this btw:

Lets move this to a private chat if you think you can convince me an liquid cooler is worse than an air cooler, especially if the air cooler costs less.

11 minutes ago, He_162 said:

Lets move this to a private chat if you think you can convince me an liquid cooler is worse than an air cooler, especially if the air cooler costs less.

The full size Noctua's are as good or better than all the AIOs except the top end ones which can cost close to double their price. Moreover, because of the nickel finish you can use liquid metal TIMs without nearly as much worry of it 'evaporating' which is actually the galium in the TIM alloying with the copper. I don't know of(Though I'm sure there's one somewhere) of any nickel plated AIOs on the market currently.

On 6/8/2017 at 7:41 PM, i_build_nanosuits said:

While true, it has an upgrade path through Zen3, whereas there isn't an upgrade path currently for the 3930. Course, the same is probably true of Threadripper so depending on how expensive those parts are and whether he really wants 64 PCI-E lanes...

20 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

The full size Noctua's are as good or better than all the AIOs except the top end ones which can cost close to double their price. Moreover, because of the nickel finish you can use liquid metal TIMs without nearly as much worry of it 'evaporating' which is actually the galium in the TIM alloying with the copper. I don't know of(Though I'm sure there's one somewhere) of any nickel plated AIOs on the market currently.

Noctua makes the highest rated air coolers on the market.  The only reason I went with Cryorig instead is the diarrhea color scheme Noctua uses.  Air coolers don't look that great to begin with, but I definitely didn't want that in my case to save a couple degrees. xD

47 minutes ago, He_162 said:

Just look up pretty much any RAIJINTEK AIO.  They're notorious for breaking.  If you still think all AIO coolers are good, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I have a 3930K and a R7 1700, and I do not see any performance benefits of the Ryzen over the 3930K. The only benefit is the R7 1700 uses less power.

12 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Noctua makes the highest rated air coolers on the market.  The only reason I went with Cryorig instead is the diarrhea color scheme Noctua uses.  Air coolers don't look that great to begin with, but I definitely didn't want that in my case to save a couple degrees. xD

Just look up pretty much any RAIJINTEK AIO.  They're notorious for breaking.  If you still think all AIO coolers are good, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I could easily find any of the following and then say all of the following break all the time:

crappy Motherboard brand, therefore all motherboards suck.

crappy Power Supply brand, therefore all power supplies suck.

crappy Ram brand, therefore all ram sucks.

crappy GPU brand, therefore all GPU's suck.

I guess we're just gonna have to destroy all computers and go back the the stone age because some crappy brands suck.

The Noctua D-15 is better than the Corsair H60 in overall performance.

Until you put it in a very tight space.

Until it has little to no airflow.

Until it gets hot in the ambient temps.

2 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

I have a 3930K and a R7 1700, and I do not see any performance benefits of the Ryzen over the 3930K. The only benefit is the R7 1700 uses less power.

Whatcha smokin? My R5 1600 outperforms the crap out of that old sandy bridge 6 core.

Benefits of Ryzen over any Sandy Bridge based 6 core:

DDR4

Higher IPC

Upgradeability

Faster in every aspect

Newer, better supported

Better overclocking (in terms of performance gain from original clocks and overall mhz increase)

More, faster cache

Lower TDP

Higher maximum temps (66C for the 3930k before electro-migration!!!!)

More instruction sets

Faster multi threading

Higher chance of a good chip being binned

Oh, and it's cheaper than Sandy Bridge was new, of course, costing 400$ give or take to upgrade to a ryzen 6 core (providing you need the mobo, ram, and CPU only)

6 minutes ago, He_162 said:

I could easily find any of the following and then say all of the following break all the time:

crappy Motherboard brand, therefore all motherboards suck.

crappy Power Supply brand, therefore all power supplies suck.

crappy Ram brand, therefore all ram sucks.

crappy GPU brand, therefore all GPU's suck.

I guess we're just gonna have to destroy all computers and go back the the stone age because some crappy brands suck.

The Noctua D-15 is better than the Corsair H60 in overall performance.

Until you put it in a very tight space.

Until it has little to no airflow.

Until it gets hot in the ambient temps.

How many fucking times do I have to tell you that I don't think all AOI coolers are bad? You're either a troll or a total dumbass. 

Just now, He_162 said:

Whatcha smokin? My R5 1600 outperforms the crap out of that old sandy bridge 6 core.

Benefits of Ryzen over any Sandy Bridge based 6 core:

DDR4

Higher IPC

Upgradeability

Faster in every aspect

Newer, better supported

Better overclocking (in terms of performance gain from original clocks and overall mhz increase)

More, faster cache

Lower TDP

Higher maximum temps (66C for the 3930k before electro-migration!!!!)

More instruction sets

Faster multi threading

Higher chance of a good chip being binned

Oh, and it's cheaper than Sandy Bridge was new, of course, costing 400$ give or take to upgrade to a ryzen 6 core (providing you need the mobo, ram, and CPU only)

Benefits of Sandy Bridge-E:

Quad channel

Similar IPC, higher clock

Doesn't need to be upgraded yet

Faster in my workload

Better overclocking, 3930K reached 4.4GHz (37.5% increase from stock), while the R7 1700 couldn't get past 3.8GHz (26.7% increase from stock).

Less CCX latency

Slightly better function as a space heater (it is winter here)

The 3930K ran fine 24/7 at 80-85°C for the last 4 years, fun times.

Less buggy instruction sets

Faster multi threading in my workload

No need for silicon lottery as Sandy bridge-E CPU is already known

Doesn't cost anything extra as the Sandy bridge-E CPU is already owned

7 hours ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Benefits of Sandy Bridge-E:

Quad channel

Similar IPC, higher clock

Doesn't need to be upgraded yet

Faster in my workload

Better overclocking, 3930K reached 4.4GHz (37.5% increase from stock), while the R7 1700 couldn't get past 3.8GHz (26.7% increase from stock).

Less CCX latency

Slightly better function as a space heater (it is winter here)

The 3930K ran fine 24/7 at 80-85°C for the last 4 years, fun times.

Less buggy instruction sets

Faster multi threading in my workload

No need for silicon lottery as Sandy bridge-E CPU is already known

Doesn't cost anything extra as the Sandy bridge-E CPU is already owned

Lower IPC, slightly higher clock*

Will need an upgrade by 2019, Ryzen provides.

Slower overall, and in 90% of workloads

More mhz =/= Better overall performance

CCX latency between cores on Ryzen is minimal

Space heating is not a good attribute.

80C can cause electro migration at higher voltages, it's still dangerous

Less buggy in terms of what? The lack of instruction sets is more pressing.

Faster multithreading in your specific task, up to 30% slower in others.

Silicon lottery is not needed in  Ryzen, buy an "X" rated chip with a boost to 4ghz to get a 4ghz chip, or one that's close.

Ryzen doesn't need a motherboard upgrade until 2021, while leaving space for a upgrade into AMD 7nm, which is as fast and dense as intel upcoming 10nm.

Stop trying to defend outdated hardware please, move along and wait if you don't wish to upgrade, but who would buy an outdated CPU if it's actually more often than not, MORE EXPENSIVE.. (Not to mention worse)

I used to be an intel fanboy, back in the Ivy-bridge days before crappy thermal compound, and the insane prices for high end parts.

8 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

How many fucking times do I have to tell you that I don't think all AOI coolers are bad? You're either a troll or a total dumbass. 

"an liquid cooler is worse than an air cooler"

That was my words, referencing your air cooler to the kraken x31.

Get the heck out of here with your language, don't start calling people names when you lose an argument.

1 minute ago, He_162 said:

Stop trying to defend outdated hardware please, move along and wait if you don't wish to upgrade, but who would buy an outdated CPU if it's actually more often than not, MORE EXPENSIVE.. (Not to mention worse)

I am defending the pointlessness of updating from a 3930K to Ryzen. The OP already has the 3930K.

The upgrade cost is not worth the current benefits, if the system needs to be upgraded in 2019, then that would be the better time to change platform.

2 hours ago, DrMikeNZ said:

I am defending the pointlessness of updating from a 3930K to Ryzen. The OP already has the 3930K.

The upgrade cost is not worth the current benefits, if the system needs to be upgraded in 2019, then that would be the better time to change platform.

I'd say it's worth it, but you know, who am I but the previous owner of an i7-5820k, i7-4790k, and now Ryzen 5 1600.

If I can see noticeable benefits from an i7-5820k, he'll enjoy the much greater performance of the Ryzen series from his 3930k.

Just now, He_162 said:

I'd say it's worth it, but you know, who am I but the previous owner of an i7-5820k, i7-4790k, and now Ryzen 5 1600.

If I can see noticeable benefits from an i7-5820k, he'll enjoy the much greater performance of the Ryzen series from his 3930k.

Previous owner? Why on earth would you get rid of a 5820k?, it has at least another 5-6 years left in it.

12 minutes ago, He_162 said:

What noticeable benefits would they happen to be?

PMSL

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

What noticeable benefits would they happen to be?

DDR4

Cooler temperatures

Upgradeability

Switching sides

6 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Previous owner? Why on earth would you get rid of a 5820k?, it has at least another 5-6 years left in it.

Why wouldn't you, it's old.

Just now, He_162 said:

The 5820K is not old. I still have an i7 930, i7 2600, i7 3930K, and i7 4770K all running 24/7. The i7 930 is old, but still has a lot of useful life left in it.

7 minutes ago, He_162 said:

DDR4

Cooler temperatures

Upgradeability

Switching sides

The i7 5820K:

• only supports DDR4
  • only has slightly higher temps due to the fully integrated voltage regulator (FIVR)...which helps with power consumption+stability when overclocking immensly
  • is pretty much the entry level CPU to LGA 2011-V3...so it has plenty of upgrade options

And switching sides? Let me guess you always buy based on brand not value for money/logic

PMSL

13 minutes ago, He_162 said:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8426/the-intel-haswell-e-cpu-review-core-i7-5960x-i7-5930k-i7-5820k-tested
That ain't old.

5 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

The 5820K is not old. I still have an i7 930, i7 2600, i7 3930K, and i7 4770K all running 24/7. The i7 930 is old, but still has a lot of useful life left in it.

We should probably stop feeding the troll....

PMSL

51 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The i7 5820K:

• only supports DDR4
  • only has slightly higher temps due to the fully integrated voltage regulator (FIVR)...which helps with power consumption+stability when overclocking immensly
  • is pretty much the entry level CPU to LGA 2011-V3...so it has plenty of upgrade options

And switching sides? Let me guess you always buy based on brand not value for money/logic

I buy both, I switch sides whenever AMD finally releases a decent new platform, hence me getting something of the same or similar performance to the i7-5820k, which is just sitting on my shelf now.

57 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Cool, and my grandpa has a large number of old cars that drive too.