High End GPU Decision

Eric++

I would like to open up by saying I'm sorry for asking a question that likely doesn't have a good answer. Hopefully you guys can help me out a bit, or at least listen to me complain about my situation.

So I want to custom water cool my system. I have an intel 5820k and an AMD R9 290 currently. I'm not going to invest in water cooling stuff for my 290 so I want to upgrade my GPU. I have everything planned out except the GPU water block because I need to pick out a GPU to upgrade to. I'm not terribly concerned about the budget. I want to buy the best GPU for my money that will last the longest. So I'm looking at 1080 and 1080ti territory.

The problem is that I think I should wait for VEGA. But I've been waiting for VEGA for so long already (Luke commented on this in the last WAN show). I was confident and excited when AMD said Q2 2017. So here I am in June and all I have to show for my patience is a release date for the professional Frontier Edition and some specs. Really? It would be one thing if they came out and said they fell a little behind schedule or were working with some of their partners and gave us a better idea of a release date for the high end gaming enthusiast card but I feel left in the dark. We don't even have benchmarks, other than what AMD shows us, to say if it's even worth it! If I knew I was waiting for a card that could come within 10% of a 1080ti for less money then I would be happy waiting another month or so.

Okay so now I've complained about VEGA. The reason I've become impatient now after so many months of waiting is because I have somewhat of a time window for my water cooling project. I'm a college student and find myself extremely busy during the school year and it would be difficult to tackle this after I go back to classes. That gives me June-August to make my upgrade. I would strongly prefer to have everything planned and ordered by the start of August.

So what should I do? Just keep waiting and hope that AMD doesn't disappoint with VEGA? Give in and buy a 1080/1080ti? Also does anyone have any clue about when we can expect a consumer line for VEGA or at least some benchmarks? I suppose I could always order the rest of my water cooling parts and just add a GPU water block to the loop when I buy one, I'm just afraid of doing something stupid and losing my desktop for a week or more during the school year.

2 minutes ago, JJVGaming said:

If you can afford a 1080 ti get that, but if you can only get a 1080 atm, I would wait for vega.

I'm actually still debating a 1080 vs 1080 ti. The 1080 just seems to have better value. I can afford a 1080 ti but I'm really not sure if that's the best decision yet. Right now I do all my gaming in 2560x1440 60Hz and both cards should have no problems with that. The question is if the 1080 ti will last enough longer than the 1080. Probably not 4k gaming terribly soon but I might invest in a high refresh rate display in the next couple years.

1 minute ago, Eric++ said:

I'm actually still debating a 1080 vs 1080 ti. The 1080 just seems to have better value. I can afford a 1080 ti but I'm really not sure if that's the best decision yet. Right now I do all my gaming in 2560x1440 60Hz and both cards should have no problems with that. The question is if the 1080 ti will last enough longer than the 1080. Probably not 4k gaming terribly soon but I might invest in a high refresh rate display in the next couple years.

I would like to think 1080 ti would be a better choice for you now. Since you mentioned you are gaming at 1440p @ 60Hz for the time being plus you might invest in a higher refresh rate display. If you are going to buy 1080 now, I would rather you wait for vega. All in all, I think going for 1080 ti should be ok for now.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

1080 is all you need for 1440 at 60hz.

Go for the 1080ti if you going to upgrade to 1440 at 144/165hz.

I use a 1070 on a Acer 1440 at 165hz with g sync and its a perfect match. But I always wish for more power not that I will notice any difference.

1080 was $1100 in Aus when I purchased my card. The 1080ti is now at $1100 in Aus.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be waiting at least until the frontier edition of VEGA releases for more information on the consumer card before I buy anything. I have to say I'm a little surprised about the 1080 ti recommendations. Well, I'm more surprised that a water cooled 1080 isn't enough for a higher refresh rate. Anyways I'm leaning towards a 1080 ti at the moment. I'll be watching for good deals while I wait on VEGA news.