Upload/Download 1Gbps simultaneously?

sazrocks
Go to solution Solved by brwainer,

Aside from the discussion of torrent download limitations, to address the real question that was being asked:

32 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Would it be possible for me to torrent download a file at 1 Gbps to my NAS at 1Gbps with the torrent client running on my computer? It other words is it possible for network traffic to be simultaneously running in and out of my computer at 1Gbps?

Yes ethernet ports are bi-directional, unless you have a wiring issue and the computers get a link that is Half Duplex instead of Full Duplex. But with Gigabit, Half Duplex isn't supported, so you shouldn't have an issue with 2Gb/s (1Gb/s in each direction). Actual throughput will depend on what type of ethernet controllers are in use - Realtek and similar usually have issues reaching over 1Gb/s total, whereas an Intel controller shouldn't have an issue with 2Gb/s. Most switches also shouldn't have any issue doing 1Gb/s in both directions, but some very cheap unmanaged ones might. I personally have been able to get 960Mb/s both in and out on the same port before.

So sometime in the future we're planning on getting 1Gbps internet. I'm also planning on building a NAS. Would it be possible for me to torrent download a file at 1 Gbps to my NAS at 1Gbps with the torrent client running on my computer? It other words is it possible for network traffic to be simultaneously running in and out of my computer at 1Gbps?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

1 minute ago, sazrocks said:

So sometime in the future we're planning on getting 1Gbps internet. I'm also planning on building a NAS. Would it be possible for me to torrent download a file at 1 Gbps to my NAS at 1Gbps with the torrent client running on my computer? It other words is it possible for network traffic to be simultaneously running in and out of my computer at 1Gbps?

if you torrent your not going to be doing it at 1Gbps

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

if you torrent your not going to be doing it at 1Gbps

Why? If it's a popular torrent why not?

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Why? If it's a popular torrent why not?

its going to be only as fast as the upload(individual peices) 

say 10 peices are being uplaoed at 25MBps or whatever you will only be able to download them at that speed

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Okay this is gonna suck when i say this... But it all depends on the upload speed by the seeders. If you have a torrent with lots of seeders like say 1000 all uploading at 1mb/s (1000x1=1000) and say 0 leeches and that torrent is all to you then yes, But also you will need a NAS drive with a 1gbps ethernet port and a motherboard or network card that supports those speeds. Hope this helps.

Current PC: "For Now Because I Have A Habit"

CPU: Intel Core I7 6700K @4.5Ghz

Motherboard: Asrock Z170 Extreme4

RAM: 16GB G.skill TridentZ 3200Mhz DDR4

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 360 Riing RGB Edition 

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080Ti Founders Edition MSI

Case: Limited Edition Thermaltake View 31 Riing RGB

Power Supply: CoolerMaster V750 Fully Modular

SSD: Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB

HDD: 3TB Toshiba 7200RPM

Peripherals:

Monitor: AOC U2868PQU 4K 28" 60HZ

Keyboard: G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 RGB Cherry MX Red

Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite

Mouse Pad: Razer Goliathus Speed Extended

Speakers: Creative SBS A250

Headphones: Razer Kraken Pro 7.1

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

its going to be only as fast as the upload(individual peices) 

? I'm confused. What do you mean?

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

Just now, sazrocks said:

see edit

Just now, sazrocks said:

He means the amount of seeders and what speed they are uploading at.

Peripherals:

To put it into the most understanding way i will explain it like this. Say there are 2 seeders which are uploaders uploading to you in real-time, One is uploading at 1mb/s and the other one is uploading at 500kb/s then you are only going to download at 1.5mb/s but they don't all upload like that, Some are much faster and have much more seeders uploading at much higher speeds (this depends if the uploaders computer is turned on and uploading, Because they are normal people), Who knows you might get a torrent file with that many seeders that you will actually download at that speed.

Peripherals:

Your ISP should be explicitly stating what your upload and download speeds are. Your download speed may be 1Gbps, but your upload speed may be something like  800Mbps.

Otherwise if you're using a torrent, your download speed depends on what the seeders are doing. If you only have one seeder who's uploading at 8Mbps, that's all you'll get downstream. In fact, this is true with any downloading you do. The server you connect to may not be able to push that much data at once.

Anyways nice PC specs you guys have, I need to update my specs ahaha. My signature is my old pc xD.

Peripherals:

27 minutes ago, SLIClocker said:

Okay this is gonna suck when i say this... But it all depends on the upload speed by the seeders. If you have a torrent with lots of seeders like say 1000 all uploading at 1mb/s (1000x1=1000) and say 0 leeches and that torrent is all to you then yes, But also you will need a NAS drive with a 1gbps ethernet port and a motherboard or network card that supports those speeds. Hope this helps.

I know that. I'm not expecting 1 Gbps from some super obscure torrent, I'm talking about reasonably popular torrents with lots of seeders.

21 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Your ISP should be explicitly stating what your upload and download speeds are. Your download speed may be 1Gbps, but your upload speed may be something like  800Mbps.

Otherwise if you're using a torrent, your download speed depends on what the seeders are doing. If you only have one seeder who's uploading at 8Mbps, that's all you'll get downstream. In fact, this is true with any downloading you do. The server you connect to may not be able to push that much data at once.

It seems you guys are misunderstanding me. I am downloading a torrent at 1Gbps then pushing that file to my file server at 1Gbps. Therefore my 1Gb LAN link on my computer is downloading and uploading 1Gbps at the same time.

I am not uploading over the internet at all. And as I said above I understand how downloading works.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

Just now, sazrocks said:

It seems you guys are misunderstanding me. I am downloading a torrent at 1Gbps then pushing that file to my file server at 1Gbps. Therefore my 1Gb LAN link on my computer is downloading and uploading 1Gbps at the same time.

Ethernet is full-duplex communication, so yes. But this is assuming nobody else is using the network.

Aside from the discussion of torrent download limitations, to address the real question that was being asked:

32 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Would it be possible for me to torrent download a file at 1 Gbps to my NAS at 1Gbps with the torrent client running on my computer? It other words is it possible for network traffic to be simultaneously running in and out of my computer at 1Gbps?

Yes ethernet ports are bi-directional, unless you have a wiring issue and the computers get a link that is Half Duplex instead of Full Duplex. But with Gigabit, Half Duplex isn't supported, so you shouldn't have an issue with 2Gb/s (1Gb/s in each direction). Actual throughput will depend on what type of ethernet controllers are in use - Realtek and similar usually have issues reaching over 1Gb/s total, whereas an Intel controller shouldn't have an issue with 2Gb/s. Most switches also shouldn't have any issue doing 1Gb/s in both directions, but some very cheap unmanaged ones might. I personally have been able to get 960Mb/s both in and out on the same port before.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Ethernet is full-duplex communication, so yes. But this is assuming nobody else is using the network.

3 hours ago, brwainer said:

That's what I was looking for. Thank you.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.