HELP!

yaseryaser

Help///my intentions next week to custom build the following CPU: i3 7100 MB: ASUS gaming b250f RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz/ one stick Storage: SAMSUNG M.2 960 EVO 256GB no DVD no GPU no intention what so ever to overclock I am considering to install 400 watts PSU, according to pcpartpicker.com the total wattage is 166W roughly. the seller tells me to go for the 550Watts which in my opinion is overkill, so I am pretty confused!

if installed the 550W would there be problems or longevity be shorter???

Seeing as your have no graphics card, 400W is fine. No, it will not harm your system if you have an overkill PSU, it wont use more than it needs. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

No issues with longjevity, if you dont intend on a gpu or ocing i would stick with 400w, otherwise if you want a gpuand other things just get the 550

1 minute ago, That Mason Guy said:

Why no GPU, and you shouldn't have any issues with a 400 watt PSU

Actually, I am not building it for gaming so the Intel HD graphics is sufficient. 

The least wattage the store has is 550W. 

1 minute ago, yaseryaser said:

Actually, I am not building it for gaming so the Intel HD graphics is sufficient. 

The least wattage the store has is 550W. 

as above

2 hours ago, yaseryaser said:

Help///my intentions next week to custom build the following CPU: i3 7100 MB: ASUS gaming b250f RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz/ one stick Storage: SAMSUNG M.2 960 EVO 256GB no DVD no GPU no intention what so ever to overclock I am considering to install 400 watts PSU, according to pcpartpicker.com the total wattage is 166W roughly. the seller tells me to go for the 550Watts which in my opinion is overkill, so I am pretty confused!

if installed the 550W would there be problems or longevity be shorter???

Well the person selling you a PSU was wrong. That system would struggle to draw 100W under max load.

Why are you getting an i3 though? The Pentium G4560 is basically a lower-end i3 for half the price.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||