I have my pc connected to a no break but it still shuts down when the power goes off

Go to solution Solved by knightslugger,
9 hours ago, richyman said:

nope

Well that's not too extreme. the UPS should not overload. Seeing as you have verified that the computer is plugged into the correct socket on the UPS, then two possibilities exist. First one is that the UPS' switching time is greater than the PSU's ability to maintain the system or that the PSU is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations and just doesn't like UPS switching power. The second is that the UPS is not outputting the correct line voltage on battery and the computer just says "NOPE, FUCK THIS!" and gives up.

I think it might have something to do with my power supply (Rosewill PHOTON Series PHOTON-850 850W Continuous @40°C) but I dont know. I also have my modem connected to the nobreak and it doesnt shut down when the power goes off so the issue isnt the no break, Ive also tried plugging my pc into different outlets but it still shuts down. Thanks in advanced.

Are you sure your PC isn't plugged into the bypass on the UPS? I know that many of them have outlets that provide backup and others that provide surge protection, but no battery power.

Have you tried plugging your PC into the outlet that the modem is plugged into? Are you sure that your PCs wattage doesn't exceed that which is provided by the UPS?

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

Question: What is the UPS' rated output? What is your system consuming?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

the Photon ain't that good. (tier list in sig)

maybe it can't keep up with the power fluctuations that happen when transferring from wall power to a UPS.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

38 minutes ago, dcb-z said:

Are you sure your PC isn't plugged into the bypass on the UPS? I know that many of them have outlets that provide backup and others that provide surge protection, but no battery power.

Have you tried plugging your PC into the outlet that the modem is plugged into? Are you sure that your PCs wattage doesn't exceed that which is provided by the UPS?

It is plugged into the battery power ones, ive tried using the outlet my modem is connected to, but I think my pc exceeds what my UPS provides which is 

• 600VA / 340W Simulated Sine Wave UPS, I think thats it. I didnt buy the UPS so I never really checked the specs.

38 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Question: What is the UPS' rated output? What is your system consuming?

• 600VA / 340W Simulated Sine Wave UPS, How do I meassure what my system is consuming? Probably more than 340w tho.

2 minutes ago, richyman said:

It is plugged into the battery power ones, ive tried using the outlet my modem is connected to, but I think my pc exceeds what my UPS provides which is 

• 600VA / 340W Simulated Sine Wave UPS, I think thats it. I didnt buy the UPS so I never really checked the specs.

your UPS can deliver 340W. PCs , depending on the efficiency of the PSU, and the components inside, can use between 30-75W at idle*. your monitor probably uses another 30, modem another dozen, etc.

it shouldn't hit the cap when idle, but when gaming, if your PC takes about 300W from your PSU, which is normal*, and your PSU is 85% efficient, then your PSU takes more than 340W from the wall, not even including your monitor, modem, etc.

*yes of course there are exceptions, but I assume OP doesn't have SLI, or an extreme edition CPU, or something crazy.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

40 minutes ago, richyman said:

if it has a USB port, check the manufacturer's website to see if any monitoring software exists for it. That's how i monitor my demand.

List your system specs. I have 2 systems described below. The Core i7 6700k rig tops out at 290watts. the Ryzen 7 rig overloads my 390 Watt UPS.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

48 minutes ago, richyman said:

I think it might be cutting power to your PC while on battery because of too much power draw.

5 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

if it has a USB port, check the manufacturer's website to see if any monitoring software exists for it. That's how i monitor my demand.

List your system specs. I have 2 systems described below. The Core i7 6700k rig tops out at 290watts. the Ryzen 7 rig overloads my 390 Watt UPS.

Just remember that the UPS more than likely isn't going to be 100% efficient and probably doesn't provide the full 340W it's rated for, especially not if it's a lower-end one.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

42 minutes ago, dcb-z said:

Just remember that the UPS more than likely isn't going to be 100% efficient and probably doesn't provide the full 340W it's rated for, especially not if it's a lower-end one.

The idea here is not to find out. never run equipment near maximum output on a regular basis.

System specs:

32 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

The idea here is not to find out. never run equipment near maximum output on a regular basis.

Didn't say that they should :P

1 minute ago, dcb-z said:

Didn't say that they should :P

It was a general statement.;)

System specs:

3 hours ago, knightslugger said:

I74790k-   Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI LGA 1150 Z97   -   16gb ram   -   GTX 980   -   500gb ssd   -   240gb ssd   -   

1 hour ago, richyman said:

I74790k-   Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI LGA 1150 Z97   -   16gb ram   -   GTX 980   -   500gb ssd   -   240gb ssd   -   

anything OC'd?

System specs:

12 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

anything OC'd?

nope

9 hours ago, richyman said:

nope

Well that's not too extreme. the UPS should not overload. Seeing as you have verified that the computer is plugged into the correct socket on the UPS, then two possibilities exist. First one is that the UPS' switching time is greater than the PSU's ability to maintain the system or that the PSU is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations and just doesn't like UPS switching power. The second is that the UPS is not outputting the correct line voltage on battery and the computer just says "NOPE, FUCK THIS!" and gives up.

System specs: