amd upgrade

(I put this under 'CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory' but it does involve gpus a little too) I'm looking at getting a ryzen cpu, am4 motherboard, 16gb ddr4 and a 480/580 (depending on prices) soon-ish. Is it worth waiting for threadripper and vega to be released to see if prices go down or shall I buy now? It's not really that important and I'm happy to wait if it means I could save some money

Threadripper CPUs are enthusiast grade with 12+ cores, not worth it for most of us mortals. 

AFAIK, the VEGA GPUs will primarily compete with nVidia's 1070/1080s, so that would be up to you. Personally I would wait to see how things turn out if you don't need the computer in the next 3 or so months.

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

For gaming/streaming the R7 will be more than enough, don't bother with threadripper.

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

For gaming/streaming the R7 will be more than enough, don't bother with threadripper.

im just thinking that when threadripper is released, would rizen prices go down or not?

Well, it's always kinda pointles to ask if "it's worth waiting", because it will ALWAYS be worth waiting, since new hardware is coming cheaper and faster every year. The generel rule is to buy when you got the money and need for new stuff (Ryzen being the exception).

As for your question: Threadripper will be high-end and will not render you any more preformance in gaming. . Go for the Ryzen (R5) now. 

As for Vega, well, I expect them to launch their high-end cards first, then  mid-range some time later on, so maybe just go for the rx now. A gpu is always the easiest part to upgrade. The cpu is usually something you will be able to use across two-three generations of gpu. 

Short anser. Don't wait for threadripper. Nobody can tell if Vega is worth waiting for. 

i7 7700K @ 4.8 Ghz (Kraken x52 aio cooler)

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI Motherboard

EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Power Suply

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor

Just now, Jessentis YouTube said:

im just thinking that when threadripper is released, would rizen prices go down or not?

no

Threadripper is on a different socket on a motherboard that will probably cost as much as the R7 1700

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

An R5 1600 with a 580/1070 is a great budget combo right now. Vega's announcement just got delayed another 2 months :( So don't wait. Threadripper is HEDT and will be at the $1000 dollar mark so don't worry about that.

ah okay, thanks

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Just saw your location £1000 mark* ;) though that's just everyone's estimate, if it was less than £1000 then that would be some bad news for Intel xD 

yeah, its still a lot either way and dont worry about getting pounds and dollars right because most youtube videos are american and its all in dollars and im pretty good at converting off the top of my head

2 minutes ago, Jessentis YouTube said:

yeah, its still a lot either way and dont worry about getting pounds and dollars right because most youtube videos are american and its all in dollars and im pretty good at converting off the top of my head

Yeah me too and the sad truth with tech is that often £1 = $1 which is the only time I wish I lived in the US :P 

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Yeah me too and the sad truth with tech is that often £1 = $1 which is the only time I wish I lived in the US :P 

well kind of, i hate it when they say for exaple 'it costs $200 or £200' becuase its not and its more like £155

5 minutes ago, Jessentis YouTube said:

well kind of, i hate it when they say for exaple 'it costs $200 or £200' becuase its not and its more like £155

Yeah but if you try and buy it the prices are very near 1:1 when like you say the £ figure should be lower when it often isn't. Oh well :P Good luck with your build :) If you need help with Ryzen overclocking I have a detailed guide in my signature.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Yeah but if you try and buy it the prices are very near 1:1 when like you say the £ figure should be lower when it often isn't. Oh well :P Good luck with your build :) If you need help with Ryzen overclocking I have a detailed guide in my signature.

okay thanks, im not the best at overclocking becuase im scared to mess with the voltage but i still overclock the frequency to a point where its stable

33 minutes ago, Jessentis YouTube said:

Is it worth waiting for threadripper and vega to be released to see if prices go down or shall I buy now?

threadripper will not cause existing lower ryzen price to drop.

Vega will not cause existing lower AMD GPU to drop.

Prices will drop naturally as the year progresses.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 minutes ago, Jessentis YouTube said:

okay thanks, im not the best at overclocking becuase im scared to mess with the voltage but i still overclock the frequency to a point where its stable

Comment on the guide or PM me, I can help with safe voltages or just getting as far as you can stock if that's what you prefer.

Your name says youtube what do you do?

5 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

threadripper will not cause existing lower ryzen price to drop.

Vega will not cause existing lower AMD GPU to drop.

Prices will drop naturally as the year progresses.

I agree with 2/3.

If Vega has a 1070 level performer and they want to undercut 1070s then it will be sub 300 which is too close to the RX 580 8GB so there may be a price drop in that instance to make room for the lowest tier vega card.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Comment on the guide or PM me, I can help with safe voltages or just getting as far as you can stock if that's what you prefer.

Your name says youtube what do you do?

not really anything specific, just random videos but i only have 20 subs so im quite small