Career Paths

Camsung

I was wondering what sort of job options there are for people like us who love technology. Reviewing hardware? Writing for a tech magazine? How much would we be looking to make in terms of salary?

Well, if you're in England, well preferably up north, then Overclockers.co.uk are looking for system builders...

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

I wish, ive built a bloody ton of systems now, used at least 70% of cases avaiable in the UK, apart from silverstone and some of lain li, silverstone cases are a waste of money now, they used to be good but now they are pathetic but still have a premium price tag. Sadly the job I have is great however its but a good salery per year and I have no idea how stable it will be, I dont know how many people will have desktops in the future and tablets are the rage at the moment.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I'm an electronic engineer at BAE Systems.

It's not directly related, but I mean it's still technology, and I think it's super interesting.

Much more powerful & impressive tech than you'll find in a consumer PC

I wish, ive built a bloody ton of systems now, used at least 70% of cases avaiable in the UK, apart from silverstone and some of lain li, silverstone cases are a waste of money now, they used to be good but now they are pathetic but still have a premium price tag. Sadly the job I have is great however its but a good salery per year and I have no idea how stable it will be, I dont know how many people will have desktops in the future and tablets are the rage at the moment.

Sounds cool :) What sort of qualifications or college courses would I need in order to get a tech-related job?

Sounds cool :) What sort of qualifications or college courses would I need in order to get a tech-related job?

Im going for computer science, im not sure precisedly but if you want to learn to code then start now, honestly if you can code at a young age then it will get you placxes, i wish i started earlier as it would of helped in many places.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

why not try and get a job at a big company which deals with this kinda stufffff

Im going for computer science, im not sure precisedly but if you want to learn to code then start now, honestly if you can code at a young age then it will get you placxes, i wish i started earlier as it would of helped in many places.

computer science ftw why u do same stuff as me

computer science ftw why u do same stuff as me

A team is better then going in as a lone wolf.

Listen if you care.

Well I have A-Levels in maths and physics (and geography and economics but they're not really relevant), but they weren't entirely necessary (not saying they didn't help me get the job).

I'm currently doing a level 3 OND in electronic engineering. Start my HNC next year, and hopefully I'll go on to do a foundation degree and full degree in electronic engineering.

I can't recommend an apprenticeship enough (that's what I'm doing).

I get paid, I earn loads of qualifications (all paid for by the company), and I'm pretty much guaranteed a job/career at the end of the apprenticeship.

Pretty much everyone who works here started off as an apprentice :)

So in the way of qualifications, either: go to uni, do an electronics/engineering degree; or get an apprenticeship, and you can get paid, and not have loads of debt and be guaranteed a job :P

EDIT: Also I forgot, I can't say enough for the experience I'm gaining either. Nothing beats it :) 

Get an education and start early doing hands-on training.  Figure out what you want to do and when you're close to finishing your education start looking into certifications that apply to the kind of jobs you're interested in.  Don't even try to become a hardware reviewer or tech writer, those jobs are very few and far between and don't pay very much unless you're one of the two well-known people (like Linus, and I really have no idea what he makes).  Writing in general is a very crowded field where you can't expect to make much, you'll get a lot further going into software development, engineering, networking, database admin, etc.  Get a bachelors degree from a decent university, make sure you do an internship or two before you graduate for some experience too.

Good luck.

Well, if you're in England, well preferably up north, then Overclockers.co.uk are looking for system builders...

Where is it in the north?

Compatible with Windows 95

Where is it in the north?

Newcastle-Under-Lyme, Staffordshire,

Here is the link http://www.overclockers.co.uk/jobs.php

p.s. recently got an email from them saying that they have a position avaliable, but as I live in London...

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

p.s. recently got an email from them saying that they have a position avaliable, but as I live in London...

Ah, no worries then, Newcastle is way away from me too, I live near Liverpool, so it's practically a 6 hour commute :P It would be easier to commute to London.

Compatible with Windows 95

It's nowhere near the north it's the west country if anything else.

and just to add to the thread if you're under 20 right now as i said in another thread i'd go for something that's a bit more manual like electrician, plumber, joiner, brick layer, mechanic, etc. as there's more money to be made from those types of jobs skilled trades is where it's at knowledge can rot where as skills can only get better.

It's nowhere near the north it's the west country if anything else.

and just to add to the thread if you're under 20 right now as i said in another thread i'd go for something that's a bit more manual like electrician, plumber, joiner, brick layer, mechanic, etc. as there's more money to be made from those types of jobs skilled trades is where it's at knowledge can rot where as skills can only get better.

Well, it's north from London... :D

And yes, if you're doing it for the money then yeah all the stuff  you mentioned, but if you want to build systems and get money for it... :D

I was wondering what sort of job options there are for people like us who love technology. Reviewing hardware? Writing for a tech magazine? How much would we be looking to make in terms of salary?

Jobs for people like us who love technology? Well pretty much any possible job! Loving tech doesn't mean you have to work either at making tech or reviewing tech. I myself am in consulting in mechanical engineering. Ask around, I'm pretty sure you're going to have lots of different answers.

Spoiler