Can't acsess more than 2tb of my 4tb hdd

TigerTob
Just now, Tedster said:

Sounds like UEFI things screwing you over?

might be i am not so familiar with software that aint os

Just now, TigerTob said:

might be i am not so familiar with software that aint os

Well, what motherboard are you using?

Sig under construction.

Just now, Tedster said:

Well, what motherboard are you using?

Asus Maximus IX Hero

ofcourse you will get CMD Only looklike screen

the booting is failed

this is happen too often with FAST BOOT enabled.

Go to your uefi/bios

Usually F2/F11 to enter uefi/bios, press it soon as you turn your computer on.

and plug your USB or Pick your DVD as boot first.

Just now, Blebekblebek said:

ofcourse you will get CMD Only looklike screen

the booting is failed

this is happen too often with FAST BOOT enabled.

Go to your uefi/bios

Usually F2/F11 to enter uefi/bios, press it soon as you turn your computer on.

and plug your USB or Pick your DVD as boot first.

should i format the drives first?

Just now, TigerTob said:

Asus Maximus IX Hero

So, you're saying that you can't hit...wow, I can't load the manual pdf.

Sig under construction.

Just now, Blebekblebek said:

You can do that with installer, so no need.

so turn off computer, unplug hdd, start computer, enter bios, boot via windows drive?

6 minutes ago, TigerTob said:

Asus Maximus IX Hero

So you can't spam press F8 to get into the bios boot menu?

Sig under construction.

38 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

You can do that with installer, so no need.

i have installed Windows again now but i still can't change it to a GPT

Again.

This is a UEFI vs Legacy boot issue.

If you have legacy mode enabled, every time you install windows you will get MBR.

If you have UEFI mode enabled, every time you install windows you should theoretical default to GPT.

Again... Go into your motherboard beforehand and fix this boot setting. BEFORE booting from your USB.

When you boot form your UEFI you should or might actually now see the word UEFI preceding the name of the bootable media you are using. Then you're in the clear.

Be sure to DELETE all partitions off of the drive inside the installer before you re-install. Then select the un-allocated space and click next. Windows  will automatically make the proper partitions for you and it should use GPT.

Once more... If Legacy is enabled or CSM is enabled or preferred this won't work. You must force UEFI or set it to default.

EDIT: Another issue could be the way you are creating your bootable media image. Use the .iso and Rufus and from the select menu choose GPT for UEFI under the settings at the top of the program. This will ensure your media boots properly enough to actually install windows the way you are wanting. I've had this issue on the past a lot myself with older hardware. If you cant boot from the drive then your bios is set wrong.

[rufus screenshot]

EDIT:

I just looked up your motherboard or at least one similar and found this is where the settings you need to change are... Go into CSM Parameters and anad make sure all bootable devices are set for UEFI only and not both. If both is selected, from your boot menu you'll have to ensure that you select the media that says UEFI: at the beginning as there will be two instances of your boot drive if you have it configured to be compatible with either UEFI or Legacy. With UEFI Only, there is no confusion. It should just boot right up. Easiest just to Disable it all together under "Launch CSM".

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO 7. UEFI BIOS  -  Impostazioni generali 11

CSM Options

If my previous post was unclear here is a little more detail....

In order to use GPT you have to boot into UEFI mode on your bootable media during the installation process.

Two (2) things could prevent you from doing so. 

1. Selecting the non-UEFI labeled boot device for install media; install media not being uefi compatible.

2. Your motherboard is not configured to boot into UEFI devices due to CSM being enabled or configured incorrectly.

As a prerequisite for installing a GPT partition scheme, you HAVE to boot into UEFI mode for it to use GPT during the installation. Otherwise when you install your OS, it will default to MBR Scheme.  

When you hit your boot menu options you will probably see things like...

Example BOOT MENU

1. Generic-USB 

2. UEFI: Generic-USB

3. Windows Boot Manager

(In this example I am calling my USB Drive "Generic-USB" and you should see too versions of it if it is both Legacy and UEFI compatible, again select the UEFI version.)

Page 64 of the ASUS IX Maximus Hero Manual: (Outlines CSM Options I referenced in my Reply to your Thread)

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/MAXIMUS_IX_HERO/E12408_MAXIMUS_IX_HERO_BIOS_EM_WEB.pdf?_ga=2.238046912.1127962252.1496528837-1368586489.1488958493

5e39ec4a42cc4f3392d8eaa0154f628f.png

To enter BIOS press the Delete or F2 during POST. After you're in BIOS press F7 or click on Advanced Mode to enter the Advanced settings...

Under the BOOT tab inside of your Advanced Settings menu for your motherboard you should see the following.

CSM (Compatibility Support Module)

Set to [Auto] or [Disabled] - Preferred for Fool Proofness

Note: You can still use CSM with UEFI as long as you choose the correct boot drive to install windows, but its easier to eliminate any possibility by disabling it entirely.

Secure Boot

Set to [Windows UEFI Mode]

Warning: This will prevent non UEFI windows boot media or partitions from even working which will prevent your current OS in MBR mode to fail to boot and will prevent you from booting from your USB Installable media if it is indeed not UEFI compatible. So be sure that your media is created with compatibility for UEFI/GPT if you're using Rufus like I mentioned above.

After you've changed these settings, reboot the PC and then hit either the hotkey for accessing your boot menu, or proceed to your BIOS again and use the manual boot override feature to select the now or previously visible UEFI: Generic-USB boot key to access your windows installation in UEFI mode and proceed to delete the existing partitions on the HDD and start from scratch. Otherwise you still might have issues because I am fairly certain even if you boot into UEFI mode and install on existing partition it will either give you an error or proceed with MBR installation again which means you'll have to start over.